Orange County - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Orange County

Quote Originally Posted by MikesGuns View Post
    I'm from Monroe and have to say that the people at Davis in Goshen are so smug and really don't want to be bothered that I won't ever step foot in there again. While it's only 25 yards at Master Class, the atmosphere and people are much nicer and laid back. I also frequent the Blue Mountain Sportsman Center in Westchester. I'm literally 45 seconds away from the Monroe Chester Sportsman Club but I'm not a member :/
    45 seconds away from the Monroe Chester Sportsman Club - you live on Gibson Hill Road ?

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by alistair View Post
    45 seconds away from the Monroe Chester Sportsman Club - you live on Gibson Hill Road ?
    Around the corner from Gibson Hill....off Lakes Rd.

Live in Orange County and new to the forum. Who is a good local dealer to get rifles from? I've been using Armslist and transferring at Gander mountain, but I'd rather spend my money supporting a small business owner.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by domlark92 View Post
    Live in Orange County and new to the forum. Who is a good local dealer to get rifles from? I've been using Armslist and transferring at Gander mountain, but I'd rather spend my money supporting a small business owner.
    Where in OC do you live?

Where in OC do you live?
    Just south of Newburgh and east of Monroe, but I don't mind driving a little for a good shop. I've been to Davis several times for ammo and the range, but I'd rather do business elsewhere.

Master Class, Monroe. Master Arms , Sloatsburgh

Corporal

+1 for Master Class in Monroe.

Thankfully I have my own land to shoot on. But I head up the mountain to keep away from the neighbors so I can only take a couple guns and a handful of ammunition at a time since I have to walk it and it's pretty steep. Not a lot of distance either and it's not flat. So, good back stop but I can't set up for example; steel targets on somewhat level ground and run drills or sight for distances like I want too.

I wish there was an outdoor range that was chill around here. It seems like most rangers are indoors and are pretty intense. Like the Middletown Pistol & Rifle Assc application reminds me of applying for my pistol permit. They need references and endorsements from members and stuff. I just want to pay dues and be able to show up, shoot some targets for an hour and go home. I really am not looking to embrace a club or particular life style. I mean, if I meet some cool people I'm down for that but I don't want to have to go to all that hassle just to shoot my .22 at a reasonable distance.

I haven't been to Davis which is very close to me. I hear way too many negative things coming from that place. I'm afraid to go, I rather not be given a hard time even if it's a remote chance.

Masterclass is too far for me as well.

I just stopped by Davis a few days ago to see if the crusty guy who runs the range is still there. He is still there, but he leaves at 6pm, so if you get there at 545pm you can shoot for an hour in peace without him. (if you are willing to pay $22.50 an hour to shoot, which I'm not.) On the good side, they had plenty of ammo to choose from. And I bought some 400 rd boxes of .22lr for less than 30 bucks each which is better than I can find anywhere else.

Meanwhile I'm still on the lookout for somewhere to shoot outside that has decent hours and is easy on the wallet while still accepting higher caliber center fire rifles. After reading through the forums I've got a list of clubs to visit thanks to you guys.

[QUOTE=domlark92;1204342]I just stopped by Davis a few days ago to see if the crusty guy who runs the range is still there. He is still there, but he leaves at 6pm, so if you get there at 545pm you can shoot for an hour in peace without him. (if you are willing to pay $22.50 an hour to shoot, which I'm not.) On the good side, they had plenty of ammo to choose from. And I bought some 400 rd boxes of .22lr for less than 30 bucks each which is better than I can find anywhere else.
    QUOTE]

I just went back to Davis today to pick up some more ammo, and they raised the price of the 400 box of .22lr from $30 to $40.
    I reposted in case it might save someone a trip there.

I looked at joining this club but they would not let me in because I am not a US citizen.
    Hi, something is wrong there. I am the president of this club and we do not ask if you are a citizen. We do ask if you have a police record but that has nothing to do with being a citizen. Put in another application....something was wrong.
    "Freedom isn't free but paid for by many"

Quote Originally Posted by InfantryVet View Post
    Hi, something is wrong there. I am the president of this club and we do not ask if you are a citizen. We do ask if you have a police record but that has nothing to do with being a citizen. Put in another application....something was wrong.
    As President I think you better check out your membership application form......
    Last edited by alistair; 05-30-2020 at 02:27 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12