Deputies shoot and kill a man after knocking on the wrong door. - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The artist formerly known as jhm8071 NirvanaFan's Avatar
    Popped a smoke bomb and peaced out of here

Quote Originally Posted by Temporaryscars View Post
    So let me get this straight. The police made a mistake which ended up in the death of an innocent, and yet, according to most of you, the victim is to blame. Shameful.
    You don't think the victim was at least partially to blame? The cops were obviously in the wrong as well, but I think the victim didn't leave them a whole lot of options.

I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner usmcveteran's Avatar

Does it actually say it was a no knock warrant? If it was a no knock warrant then you could start to argue negligence of the officers because if they had acted appropriately for a no knock warrant then this most likely would of been avoided.
    If it was just a check to see if he is there then the police didnt do anything wrong IMO.
    For the most part though I will use a technical term that a professor I argue with likes to use lol, this whole thing is kinda of a "mushy" set of circumstances.

I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner usmcveteran's Avatar

Did the police go to the address on the warrant? if not then they are to blame. If so then obviously someone else screwed up writting the warrant.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

"This is technically not a 'no knock' search," Turley wrote. "In such searches, there is no knock but the officers are supposed to announce their identities in going into the property... Indeed, I have criticized the increasing use of 'no knock' warrants.

how does the word technically even apply here? either it is or it isnt
    GUNS make the world go around!

General

Quote Originally Posted by jhm8071 View Post
    You don't think the victim was at least partially to blame? The cops were obviously in the wrong as well, but I think the victim didn't leave them a whole lot of options.
    You would have done the same exact thing. There isn't a single gun-owner in the world who wouldn't have grabbed a weapon at that time of night to the sound of forceful pounding on their door.

Andrew Scott: Outrage as police shoot and kill the wrong man in hunt for attempted murder suspect | Mail Online see this link.......the men dont even look alike! yet they didnt realize they shot the wrong person for 1 1/2 hrs.....do they not brief the officers on the subject or suspects 1st?
    Last edited by mguyf86; 07-19-2012 at 05:59 PM.
    GUNS make the world go around!

Private

Unfortunate accident. I feel terrible for the families.

Quote Originally Posted by mguyf86 View Post
    Andrew Scott: Outrage as police shoot and kill the wrong man in hunt for attempted murder suspect | Mail Online see this link.......the men dont even look alike! yet they didnt realize they shot the wrong person for 1 1/2 hrs.....do they not brief the officers on the subject or suspects 1st?
    Holy ****, good link, look how many of the holes are through the door, looks like he only cracked it about 6 inches to see who was outside and they went a bit overboard.

He may have open the door with his right hand while leveling a pistol at the police with his right through that little crack, all it would have taken is one cop to yell "GUN!" and the rest of them, already on the edge, would have just reacted. Someone still ****ed up here, however place yourself in the police officers shoes, you're out there with your partner and a few other cops, probably only the people in charge read the warrant, I doubt everyone read it in great detail, all they knew was they had an address and on the other side of the door 2 people who already tried to take someones life were hiding out, its stressful, everyone wants to go home at the end of the day and you are placed up against people with nothing to lose every day of your life, it was a mistake, a horrible mistake, but there is really no where to throw the blame that it will stick. Not in my opinion anyway.
    Rifle Wants: CETME, SBR AK in 7.62, Daewoo DR200

Pistol wants: XDM, Used Beretta M9/92FS for carry, S&W 5904/5/6 variant, Browning High Power

The police were neglect here. They were at the wrong house. They are100% to blame fore the situation. Had they been at the right house the home owner would not be dead. Just like if you were sitting at a stoplight and you proceeded to go on green and someone runs a red light smashing your car killing you. The fault lies with the person who ran the red light ( the creator of the accident).
    Manus haec inimica tyrannis
    The only cure for the liberal/progressive minded is; to put them into a situation where they have to rely on their own advice and theories to defend themselves.

Just to clear things up. There was no warrant involved here.
    "If I could have banned them all - 'Mr. and Mrs. America turn in your guns' - I would have!"
    - Diane Feinstein
    (I love Diane, that sexy angel)

After watching the video, I am deeply saddened that the shooters will not be hanged.
    Watering the Tree Of Liberty is not achieved by the killing of innocents, but by preserving the lives of those innocents with your own if necessary.

General

Quote Originally Posted by Degenret View Post
    After watching the video, I am deeply saddened that the shooters will not be hanged.
    I don't know about hanged, but they should, at the very least, be prosecuted for manslaughter. They won't though. Same story, different day.

Postmaster General Darthgamer138's Avatar

So let me get this straight. The police made a mistake which ended up in the death of an innocent, and yet, according to most of you, the victim is to blame. Shameful.
    Well anything else would be cop-bashing remember? :/

Like I said they did the right thing at the moment, faced with a gun pointed at them (just as the victim would have been in the right if he shot the cops), but they were grossly in the wrong for going to the wrong house and not identifying themselves. They SHOULD face punishment but will not because all everyone will jump on is "Are you telling me if you were a cop you would not have shot!?" when in reality that isn't the issue whatsoever. It's more "If you were a cop would you not have seen if you had the right house to enter before you arrived at the door with lethal force ready?"
    Proud NRA ​LIFETIME Non-​Member. Don't just support PART of the constitution. Be Skeptical.

​SEI Divemaster Apprentice/Nitrox Diver. Dives- ​I57. Proud Atheist.

You would have done the same exact thing. There isn't a single gun-owner in the world who wouldn't have grabbed a weapon at that time of night to the sound of forceful pounding on their door.
    You skirted my question, and I certainly would NOT have done the same thing.

I'm not saying the cops aren't to blame. You're right, every gun owner would grab a weapon at that time of night. However, there are plenty of us that would NOT open the door. Blame certainly lies with the police. Whether it was them for going to the wrong address, or if someone got the warrant for the wrong address, or whatever. If it is true the guy was pointing a gun at the cops, the cops didn't have many options. If you point a gun at a cop (or anyone else with a gun), expect to get shot.

Quote Originally Posted by jhm8071 View Post
    If you point a gun at a cop (or anyone else with a gun), expect to get shot.
    We really don't know if he pointed the gun at them and never will. Stranger things have happened than an inaccurate report when the wrong person is shot. Just something to think about...
    "If I could have banned them all - 'Mr. and Mrs. America turn in your guns' - I would have!"
    - Diane Feinstein
    (I love Diane, that sexy angel)

Quote Originally Posted by ECU Pirates View Post
    We really don't know if he pointed the gun at them and never will. Stranger things have happened than an inaccurate report when the wrong person is shot. Just something to think about...
    True, but we don't have any evidence that he didn't point the gun at the cops either. The only thing we have to go on is the report.

There is definitely blame on the cops. There is no doubt about that. The homeowner helped put himself in that situation though. If his gun was not visible, then the cops probably would not have shot.

I agree 100%
    Quote Originally Posted by dsdmmat View Post
    The police were neglect here. They were at the wrong house. They are100% to blame fore the situation. Had they been at the right house the home owner would not be dead. Just like if you were sitting at a stoplight and you proceeded to go on green and someone runs a red light smashing your car killing you. The fault lies with the person who ran the red light ( the creator of the accident).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123