Dicks Sporting Goods
Close

Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree22Likes
  • 3 Post By Bills97
  • 2 Post By Saltwater60
  • 1 Post By Bills97
  • 2 Post By bfield3
  • 4 Post By Bills97
  • 1 Post By Vicarious
  • 3 Post By OwnTheRide
  • 1 Post By OwnTheRide
  • 2 Post By pardnerusa
  • 2 Post By The Happy Friar
  • 1 Post By XP100

Thread: Dicks Sporting Goods

  1. #1
    Private
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Lancaster, NY
    Posts
    39

    Default Dicks Sporting Goods

    So i knew that Dicks had these new stupid rules about not selling to people under 21. I went to Dicks today to use a gift card I had for a few boxes of 9MM and what I didnt know is that they wont even sell you ammo without a pistol permit. My permit should be coming any day now but im never buying anything there again.

  2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
  3. #2
    Colonel
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Erie
    Posts
    4,510

    Default

    Good move. They have a shotgun I want $200 cheaper than anywhere else and I won’t buy it from them.
    Pale Horse and SNORTHRUP1 like this.

  4. #3
    Private
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Lancaster, NY
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saltwater60 View Post
    Good move. They have a shotgun I want $200 cheaper than anywhere else and I won’t buy it from them.
    Im happy to see their sales going way down after their stupid business decision. Just sell the products and stay out of politics.
    Pale Horse likes this.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Private
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Cayuga County
    Posts
    33

    Default

    I stopped buying from Dicks when they went full retard and decided to stop selling various types of rifles and refused to sell to legal citizens under 21. But the no selling of pistol ammo to anyone without a pistol permit seems to be the norm in N.Y. I remember a couple years ago I went to Wal-Mart to buy some 9mm for my father for Christmas. I told the cashier to grab me a couple boxes of 9mm ammo. He then asked me for my pistol permit. Told him I didn't have one and I was buying the ammo as a gift. He said he couldn't sell it to me without a pistol permit. I don't know if that is by law in NY or just policy by some of the retailers. I have my permit now so it doesn't matter to me. But either way I won't buy jack squat from Dicks again. I would say throughout the years I probably spent between $1000 and $2000 per year with them on ammo, sporting equipment, running shoes, clothing and camping gear. I have spent $0 with them since they cucked. Here in Auburn NY there's a Bass Pro right across the street from Dicks. I buy ammo and guns from them as well as camping gear and some clothing. What I can't get at Bass Pro I get from online stores.
    RoadRage and Pale Horse like this.

  7. #5
    Private
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Lancaster, NY
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bfield3 View Post
    I stopped buying from Dicks when they went full retard and decided to stop selling various types of rifles and refused to sell to legal citizens under 21. But the no selling of pistol ammo to anyone without a pistol permit seems to be the norm in N.Y. I remember a couple years ago I went to Wal-Mart to buy some 9mm for my father for Christmas. I told the cashier to grab me a couple boxes of 9mm ammo. He then asked me for my pistol permit. Told him I didn't have one and I was buying the ammo as a gift. He said he couldn't sell it to me without a pistol permit. I don't know if that is by law in NY or just policy by some of the retailers. I have my permit now so it doesn't matter to me. But either way I won't buy jack squat from Dicks again. I would say throughout the years I probably spent between $1000 and $2000 per year with them on ammo, sporting equipment, running shoes, clothing and camping gear. I have spent $0 with them since they cucked. Here in Auburn NY there's a Bass Pro right across the street from Dicks. I buy ammo and guns from them as well as camping gear and some clothing. What I can't get at Bass Pro I get from online stores.
    Good, im glad to hear others arent supporting Dicks either. Also I dont believe it is NY law to show a pistol permit for pistol ammo. I may be wrong though.

  8. #6
    Corporal
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    The wilds of Tioga
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Walmart wont sell either, got in a bit of a snit with a clerk in the watkins glen walmart over it, told her it was for a 9mm carbine rifle, which she had one, right behind the counter, but she still refused. i finally showed my permit after our discussion about how someone with that rifle (ruger PC9) would be screwed if they had no permit, thats when she told me it was her store managers policy. I still dont know if its NYS law or not.
    bfield3 likes this.

  9. #7
    Colonel OwnTheRide's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Broome
    Posts
    2,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bills97 View Post
    Good, im glad to hear others arent supporting Dicks either. Also I dont believe it is NY law to show a pistol permit for pistol ammo. I may be wrong though.
    Believe it or not, it is. 270.00 section 5 (last section):

    5. Notwithstanding the provisions of subdivision four of this section,
    it shall be unlawful for any dealer in firearms to sell any ammunition
    designed exclusively for use in a pistol or revolver to any person, not
    authorized to possess a pistol or revolver. The violation of this
    section shall constitute a class B misdemeanor.
    Here's the thing, though: can you name any ammunition that is designed exclusively for use in a pistol or revolver? I certainly can't. But I don't think it's reasonable for us to expect stores to play in a legal gray zone. Given this, I can't really blame the stores (it's not just DIcks!) for requiring us to show a permit. I have heard stories of people showing managers their 9mm carbine and being allowed to purchase said ammo without a permit.

    That said, Dick's has given us plenty of reason not to shop there. This just ain't one, IMO.
    ladder13, multical and bfield3 like this.
    Anything stated in the above post is my personal opinion and should not be construed as legal advice.

  10. #8
    Colonel
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Erie
    Posts
    4,510

    Default

    There is no law at all in nys about needing a pistol to purchase any man expect NYC.

  11. #9
    Colonel OwnTheRide's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Broome
    Posts
    2,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saltwater60 View Post
    There is no law at all in nys about needing a pistol to purchase any man expect NYC.
    I assume you meant "ammo" instead of "any man," and by "pistol" you meant "pistol permit."

    I invite you to read the NYS LAW that I quoted directly above your post.

    /smh - come on, dude... how many times...
    bfield3 likes this.
    Anything stated in the above post is my personal opinion and should not be construed as legal advice.

  12. #10
    Private
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Nassau
    Posts
    3

    Default

    There are long guns that shoot 9mm. They are often referred to as carbines. Ruger makes one, I think it is called "PC9". I shoot .357 and .38 spl out of a Henry lever action rifle. When I did shop at Dick's and they asked for my pistol permit I told them I shoot them from a carbine. Did not have a problem. Now shop Gander Outdoors, no Bass Pro or Cabela's anywhere near me.
    bfield3 and Bills97 like this.

  13. #11
    Captain The Happy Friar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    West Valley, Cattaraugus Cnty
    Posts
    563

    Default

    i stopped buying ammo at wallyworld because of the permit thing. Gun shows, cabelas, s&s in springville, wolcott in cheektowaga don't ask, so I go to those places.
    bfield3 and Bills97 like this.

  14. #12
    Private markymark64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    16

    Default

    I agree. NY is becoming ridiculous. I get my ammo on line through TargetSports.com. They deliver right to the house
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltwater60 View Post
    Good move. They have a shotgun I want $200 cheaper than anywhere else and I won’t buy it from them.

  15. #13
    Major
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hudson, Florida
    Posts
    1,182

    Default

    Did they even make a 25 ACP or a 380 Rifle or carbine?
    FreeBeer&Chicken likes this.

  16. #14
    Colonel OwnTheRide's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Broome
    Posts
    2,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XP100 View Post
    Did they even make a 25 ACP or a 380 Rifle or carbine?
    I found a commercially produced 380 carbine online.

    I found a lot of talk about a guy who modified a rifle to be .25ACP, but not commercially produced. The way the law is worded, however, suggests that one is all that is needed.
    Anything stated in the above post is my personal opinion and should not be construed as legal advice.

  17. #15
    Private
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Dick's is selling fewer guns and less ammo all the time in Central NY.

Similar Threads

  1. Dicks sporting goods suspends sales?
    By rpf427 in forum Firearms in the News
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-18-2012, 01:21 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-25-2012, 07:37 PM
  3. Dicks Sporting Goods Ammo and NYS Law
    By 2ndSupporter in forum Laws and Politics - Firearms/Self Defense/Weapons
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 07-16-2012, 12:05 AM
  4. Dicks sporting goods/ ar15
    By boss419 in forum The AR-15
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 06-09-2012, 12:00 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •