Hydro Dip question
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shootalot523

Thread: Hydro Dip question

Private

Default Hydro Dip question

I have a few older rifles and shotguns that I was thinking of getting cerekoted. I talked to one guy who said hydro dipping is the way to go. I would like to hear your thoughts on which I should do and why. These guns are strictly used for hunting.

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Colonel

Hydro dipping is not very strong and rubs off kind of easy. Ceratoking is a spray on Ceramic coating and is much more durable.

what is your objective? Just color for camo or more durability? Camo and multicolored ceracoting is expensive. Hydro dipping is cheaper in multiple colors and in general.

I needed a gun coated for rust protection and reached out to 4-5 places and no one even responded. I was going to dismantle the gun myself and strip the finish myself. I figured they did want to bother with me because they get big buck to take apart a gun. They want $50-$60 just to dismantle a pistol slide. It’s a 5-10 minute job so when I said I could do I they didn’t want to bother.

I got H&M metal processing to QPQ or nitride my gun parts and slides. I was very pleased. They responded and they have a lot charge of $250 so it was cheaper in the long run. I had two pistols and all small parts done for that price. It’s only black in color but it’s the most corrosive resistant coating there is for guns.

Good luck.

Private

Default Hydro dipping

Quote Originally Posted by Saltwater60 View Post
    Hydro dipping is not very strong and rubs off kind of easy. Ceratoking is a spray on Ceramic coating and is much more durable.

what is your objective? Just color for camo or more durability? Camo and multicolored ceracoting is expensive. Hydro dipping is cheaper in multiple colors and in general.

I needed a gun coated for rust protection and reached out to 4-5 places and no one even responded. I was going to dismantle the gun myself and strip the finish myself. I figured they did want to bother with me because they get big buck to take apart a gun. They want $50-$60 just to dismantle a pistol slide. Itís a 5-10 minute job so when I said I could do I they didnít want to bother.

I got H&M metal processing to QPQ or nitride my gun parts and slides. I was very pleased. They responded and they have a lot charge of $250 so it was cheaper in the long run. I had two pistols and all small parts done for that price. Itís only black in color but itís the most corrosive resistant coating there is for guns.

Good luck.
    hydrodipping is cosmetic only, There is a bit more to prepare a firearm for coating properly, The coated parts are usually bead blasted, cleaned with acetone (sometimes multiple clean and heat cycles are needed to get all the oils out) and then coated. Typically I charge about 100 + materials to coat a gun, If the gun has a lot of rust, pitting etc that need to be addressed it is a bit more. I charge cost for the materials.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Private

Thanks for the reply. Is the place that did yours in Ohio? I am looking to get mine coated for durability.
    Saltwater60 likes this.

Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by shootalot523 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Is the place that did yours in Ohio? I am looking to get mine coated for durability.
    That’s them. Fantastic people. Turnaround was fast and return package was fantastic.

Just sent them a contact and the guy will reach out quickly. They will require you to package your equipment, get a money order for the cost, and pay for return shipping or they charge a flat rate. It was cheaper for me to get me own shipping.

They can only process steel components and most components need to be removed. Sights can stay on in some cases. Also they don’t do springs or spring like components. They will process those another way if need be. I had a magazine clip-like spring rusting and they coated that another way for me free of charge. Some coatings need to be removed and others don’t.

I sent them 32 parts in say 20 sandwich bags. They processed them and returned them in each bag as they were sent in. Now they did mix up 3 parts but I was super pleased they even tried. I expected them to just put them in one container and send them back. Nope. They even heat shrunk my slides in very thick plastic and wrapped them again to prevent any damage. Made my reassembly much easier. From shipping to return to my home was about 10-11 days. I shipped ground and it was received the next day. I would use them again in a heartbeat. Very pleased and mine is a satin black. They can do matte or semi gloss if you prefer.