Today's Experience: Gun Works of CNY (Verona, NY)
Close

Corporal

Default Today's Experience: Gun Works of CNY (Verona, NY)

I'm curious if anyone has had an experience similar to mine at the "Gun Works of Central New York" in Verona, NY:

I stopped in this afternoon for the first time; they are a gunsmithing shop, as well as a retail gun/accessory shop. I patiently waited 5-10 minutes as the "kid" at the counter (late 20s, glasses) waited on a customer; all of their firearms are behind the counter and a customer needs assistance to inspect them. After the original customer left, the kid asked if he could help me (I was the only customer in the shop at this point). I started by asking if they have any random, old accessories (old mags, old parts, "junk", etc.), as I get a kick out of exploring for treasures. He hemmed and hawed, said yes, but no, but yes...

The UPS delivery man came in at this point, and asked "only these two today?" in regards to two long guns shipping out. The kid said "I think so; wait let me see..." and went over to chat with the UPS guy for a minute (no big deal). He was done quickly, and as the UPS man left another gentleman entered the shop. He recognized the gentleman, and produced what must have been a firearm this customer had previously brought in for service from behind the counter. He proceeds to have a lengthy conversation with this customer, dealing with him in great detail.

I waited for about 5 minutes, patiently standing there the whole time waiting for the kid to again acknowledge me. He never did, nor did he ever say "excuse me a moment" when the UPS man came in, or "I'll be back with you shortly" when the other gentleman walked in- he COMPLETELY ignored me and paid me no regard. Too bad, as I spotted some neat old guns I was quite interested in. I ultimately gave up and left without saying a word.

Has anyone had a similar experience there? Was this kid simply oblivious?? On a side note, I've found this rather common in the gun world: I've walked into many shops and been blown off or ignored by the sales people, before having the opportunity to ask anything beyond "how are you today?". Disappointing- I'm always interested and willing to add to the collection.
    Last edited by jsquared94; 03-26-2013 at 01:15 AM.

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

Wow, I hope that's not normal for there. I was looking at having some stuff worked on there as I've heard they do good work but I don't know...
    If you've got them by the balls their hearts andminds will follow.

Corporal

I have no clue; I can't say a definitive thing about their work as I've never had them perform any repairs for me. I've seen their booth at the Syracuse Gun Show, and their work has always seemed professional.

I don't believe the salesperson ("kid") I spoke with was the owner; maybe he was just "day-dreaming"?
    Last edited by jsquared94; 03-26-2013 at 12:54 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Well.... Only been in there once & at first apparently the dogs were offended that I was wearing a hat so I removed it , even though I was having a bad hair day , so that I could try to conclude my business without them barking & growling. Didn't help. older guy & lady , both kept yelling at dogs to "Quiet Down !" while we were trying to talk. very hard to pay attention to a deal when your being eyed like a T-bone steak & the guy your talking to is stopping to yell at dogs mid sentence. finished deal & decided there's other shops where I'd rather spend my hard earned $ , & not worry about getting bit by a mean tempered dog . Now dont get me wrong , I like dogs but these ones were making me nervous. Guard dogs dont belong where your customers are !

I know 3 people personally who brought guns there, paid a considerable amount of money, and got them back worse off, or not fixed. YMMV
    molōn labe

Les

I would be one of those who's gun was returned without fixing the original problem after three attempts on their part to fix it. Finally just bought parts and made the repair myself. I know the owner but I don't do any business there anymore.
    NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer - SAF Member
    ==="Safety is something that happens between your ears, not in your hands" - Col. Jeff Cooper ===

Private

I saw this, and could not stand by... Looking to find GW of CNY, I saw these posts.
    No. Gary is NOT Mr. Congeniality.
    But, I met him through the Remington Website.... I live in Baltimore, and travel CNY regularly.
    he accurized a cheapo 700SPS for me in 22-250, and replaced the trigger on my 700 Clasic in 30-06.
    Never charged me for the trigger work.... And the 22-250 is sub .40 @ 100 yards.
    BTW a kindly grandma walked in, whom he must hav known... Sweet as could be to her.
    she dumped (3) hand guns out of her purse, for him to work on.... God help who ever tries to mess with her.
    the young guy working with him is a nice young man... Give them another look

upstateshooter

I'm going to support Lowe1542 in this. I have had a ton of work done there over the years. I originally found them through my long time dealer near plattsburgh. He said There is no better place to get work done and that he sends all his work there.
    I learned through talking with them that most of their business is through the mail. I travel the country for work and have encountered over a dozen shops in my travels that send all their work to the Gun Works of CNY. The people working there, owners included are not always smiling but between them and their gunsmiths there is a massive amount of knowledge and skill in that building. I recommend them to everyone I know and have never had anyone displeased that I sent them there.

Private

Wow, that's a fair amount of bad press., and the OP was 100% objective. I'll pass on them.