New York Firearms Forum banner

Anyone interested in firearms discussions?

19K views 274 replies 51 participants last post by  meketrefe 
#1 · (Edited)
In some forums you cannot touch the politics or you will be banned.
Here I think we can still talk about firearms w/o being banned.

Is anyone interested in firearms threads, whether is shooting, reloading, diy's, restorations, anything that is not politics!??
I love this forum and I am active in the fight but also it looks more like a political/legal forum later.
I miss nice firearms and ammo projects and discussions.

Currently I am setting up my new lathe to cut a barrel for an AR13. (AR 2013 -> Target crown, F.Cuomo version)
I am looking into reamers and it seems the 358 hoosier is a good option for what I want.
Shooting 180 and 200 grain 358 bullets plus I can use the same 357 pistol bullets for practice.

That or either ream the throat with a 358 winchester and then run a 6mmBR norma to get a nice 357 BRX type of
chamber. These will load perfect from AR13 7.62x39 mags.

Anything you are doing?

See less See more
#143 ·
got off my ass today (on my only day off this week) and started a small project. The original finish on my 10/22's stock had been chemically damaged in some spots. I got the old finish off with some citristrip gave it a light sand and applied my first coat of finish. I plan on doing two coats a day, one in the morning, one at night, for the next few days.

also if anyone has a metal barrel band collecting dust, I am in need of one.

#144 ·
A co-worker has invited me to go shooting with him, gonna get me some woodchucks. Never hunted chucks before and I need a new gun, any reason to buy another is good enough for me. Not sure what to purchase. Looking to spend no more than $750 for the entire package. Been looking into a Savage, just don't know what caliber or exact gun. I was leaning toward .243. Any ideas?

#145 ·
Savage 10 or 11 is a good one if you like it. The remington 700 also. Both the most popular platforms in the planet with more aftermarket support than any other models and brands.

The 243 is a very nice round but a tad overbored. Look into the 260R. that can do varmints with a 85gr bullet matching the speeds of a 75gr 243w bullet. And then if needed you have 120, 130 and 140gr bullets that give very nice momentum and reach so one can go after larger game with confidence if desired. Also barrels will last longer.

Another one is the 7mm.08. This one can also use 110gr bulles for varmints and then all the way to 175gr depending on twist.

But if you want something super standard do not discard the 308 winchester. Here you have varmint bullets too that shoot superflat too with little recoil like the 110gr nosler varagamadon and 110sierra varmiter or 110 vmax. that give amazing speed and are good for chucks too.
And then if needed you can step up to 130 and 150gr. All the way to 180gr softpoint bonded to take elk, moose and large bears.
This is the most popular round in the world along with the 30.06. The advantage here is that one can find ammo in many places, surplus deals,
discounts and brass is plentiful and affordable.

If it was me and I was going to shoot only chucks with the ocasional coyote or pig then I would stick to the .223 remigton for my first rifle.
If you want speed hornady gives you 53 and 53 rounds capable of 3,400fps so one cannot easily justify a 22/250 for a first rifle.
Then you have 75gr rounds and 55gr, 62gr and 70gr solids to harvest pigs and small-mid deer where allowed. The issue with the 70gr solids is that it needs a 1:8 twist and most .223 come in 1:9. not a big deal. I would get one with a chamber that can shoot 5.56 ammo.

But if the deer and pigs are also in the horizon aside from your varmint ambitions the 308w will be allowed in many places and will provide
the advantage to go with heavier loads. Then I would go with this one.

Over time the .223 is the most affordable one and the 308w next. With either caliber barrels will last many rounds accuracy wise and both savage and remington have a huge assortment of rifles in those calibers, as well as ammo and bullet manufactures. They are the largest departments in terms of equipment, bullets, brass and ammunition.

#146 ·
The .22-250 is a GREAT round, but the .243, to me anyways, is the a better choice if you're ever going to use it for more then chucks. The most versatile round out there. Others will say it's this or that, but the .243, for us old timers anyways, has always been the best all around for many, many years. ;) Savage Axis was one of the most accurate centerfire rifles I've owned. Inexpensive and it does the job. The 110 or 111 are great guns and they have a few more bells and whistles on them compared to the Savage Axis. I'm not at all a fan of the Remington 700 but that's all based on personal preference. Someone else may LOVE the 700 and that's fine too I can't tell them that it's a horrible gun.... it's just not for me.

#148 ·
Wow Mek, thanks for all the info. I have sometime before we go out. You gave me alot to consider. Not going till springtime. Need to do as much research as possible, I get very anal when buying guns. I order direct from manufacturer and it takes sometime to get in the guns we want. Thanks again.

#153 ·
If people are avoiding firearms talk because of fear then we are letting the communist radicals on NY state have it their way.
You can talk about anything you want. This is a free country. The only fear one has to fear is fear itself.
The fixed magazine is an easy way to comply with these BS statutes.
The only problem I see is for people that want to change calibers that require different magazines ie: 6.8, 6.5LBC, Socom, etc...

#159 ·
swilliams, you have to start when you have everything ready and the mojo is right. One thing you don't want is to rush anything. It must be taken as a easy going hobby paying attention to detail.
Eventually you will get there. The 7mm bullets are a joy to shoot. I am working on a 7mm wildcat right now.

#160 ·
You know meketrefe, I really miss the old days where we did not have to look over our backs when we talked about certain firearms hopefully soon we will be back to the way things where before all this BS started in NY.

I know once my heath gets better which I hope is soon so I can get to the shooting range to start shooting again and talk about some of the pistols and rifles I bought to tell everyone how they shoot and what I do and don't like about them..

#164 ·
I just got a box from Midway today. Had 9mm dies, a Syrac adjustable gas block and a receiver squaring tool. Turns out the Wilson block wouldn't fit under my JP handguard so hopefully the Syracuse will work.

I also have had a press for months that I haven't set up so you aren't alone Williams.

In other news, I put an MR2 on my rifle and I hate it. ARs used to feel like an old friend but now it feels foreign. I definitely need some range time to relearn it.

#165 · (Edited)
RCBS Rock Chucker here. .308 & .223 for bolt guns.

I was thinking about the 6x45 you talked up in other threads, but now you threw a curve with the 6.5x40. I dont have the equiptment to build my own barrels, so which is more "accessable"?

Also, are there kits where you could use AR components to build a bolt gun? Maybe a side pull using an AR BCG? It would be fun as a FUAC gun, and with a 20" barrel, it could likely be quite accurate.

Edit: is the 6.5x40 based off the .308/7.62 case?

#166 ·
RCBS Rock Chucker here. .308 & .223 for bolt guns.

I was thinking about the 6x45 you talked up in other threads, but now you threw a curve with the 6.5x40. I dont have the equiptment to build my own barrels, so which is more "accessable"?

Also, are there kits where you could use AR components to build a bolt gun? Maybe a side pull using an AR BCG? It would be fun as a FUAC gun, and with a 20" barrel, it could likely be quite accurate.

Edit: is the 6.5x40 based off the .308/7.62 case?
The 6.5x40 is based on the 6.8 case. The 6.5 LBC/ Grendel is ready to go so no wildcatting necessary.
In the 6.5 caliber to shoot from AR15 magazines you have many options. The 6.5BR and 6.5BRX are the kings on this category. I have the 6.5 TCU Long, the 6.5LBC and the 6.5BR and I love them all.
I even have spare barrels and bolts that I have never used.
The 6.5x40 is not bringing anything new other than if one already have 6.8 brass and bolt one can use that.
For an easy to build and use bolt gun the way to go is a savage 10 or rem 700 rifle also to swap calibers. One could use AI magazines
or even adapt one to take AR magazines. There is a barrel nut system available like the savage for the Rem 700 too.
If one is going to use an AR then the best thing is to get a quality target barrel and a PRS stock.
This will make a great bench and prone shooting gun. Very accurate.
But if one wants to use a side charging handle fulton Armory and mega has the upper and carriers with the side charging handle. I like the mega, it is very well cut and good quality alloy.
I see very little point in making a manual side charging AR when the compliant auto-loader version is easy.

#167 ·
I forgot,
if one is forming brass or one has the largest magnums the Redding Big Boss II is the one I use for those jobs because of the extra length and beefed up everything. It is like a bad azz frame and press and I think well priced. I don't like their primer system nor I need to use it but when it comes to forming cases and wildcats and reloading the largest magnums you have a lot of torque and leverage and that is the main reason I got it. I weights a lot more than other smaller presses too.

#169 ·
I should have mentioned that the squaring tool is for the 270AR upper that I decided to build.

The Wilson block is going to go on that, which ends up working out well. I mistakenly ordered the rifle length kit for my 6.8 (which is mid) but the 270AR barrels are rifle length. I'm finding out that there's a lot of pieces needed to jump into a wildcat. It's slow going getting it all together.

One question: how do people feel about using military primers in ARs versus the regular primers? I know it's been bet to death but my 6.8 dimples every single round I cycle and it makes me nervous (another reason I dislike the MR2). I've got #41 primers but I can't find any #34 and the 270AR uses large primer brass.

#170 · (Edited)
Manris. The military primers are fine but are hotter primers so it is a good idea to test the loads for these as you would for Match primers. They are harder primers too so when people read primers for signs of pressure they might be misleading. Specially in cases other than 5.56, BR, creedmore and 308 small primer and such that cannot take the pressures of these type of cases.
So when they start flattening up you know you are around or above the NATO ceiling type of pressure that in a 6.8 or Grendel case could mean disaster. So they can be used and work just fine but readings of these much harder primer cups is different.

The 270AR is a nice development. I love it. But in the end it is not bringing anything radically new to the table for me with the 6.5BR. I am working on a 7mm version that I think is going to bring something new
in terms of performance. Also a 9mm/358 caliber that is affordable and powerful. All in the works right now.

#174 ·
I'm a newbie with a bunch of .277 bullets. The 270AR feels like something that will challenge me but has enough support that I won't get stuck. When you get down to it, the target isn't likely to know the difference between it and my 6.8 but I'll get some experience and enjoyment from it.

The primer question was specifically for the 270AR and slam-fire prevention using Creedmoor as the parent brass. I've got a few thousand 41s so my 6.8 is set for now. Am I being too paranoid about it?

Manris. The military primers are fine but are hotter primers so it is a good idea to test the loads for these as you would for Match primers.
Is there a different testing method for match primers (other than assuming they'll be hotter than standard and the differences in reading them)?

Joey: I really like my 6.8 but it does have drawbacks - especially in NY. Just to name one, 90% of the ammo I have was internet sourced and it's pretty uncommon to find it in stores here. For medium game in the AR15 it's good... but take away the AR15 and/or medium game requirement and there are better cartridges. How badly do you want an AR?

I've considered an AR10 for a long time but they're expensive and heavy. Hopefully I find enough money someday to pull together a lightweight AR10 but right now I always feel like a kid in a candy store that has a single nickel in his pocket.

ETA: Meke, please keep us up on those 7mm and 358 wildcats. I love reading about that stuff.

#171 ·
Ive been dreaming about an AR build. Originally I was thinking AR10 platform since I love .308 and I have a Rem Model 700, so ammo would be stocked for both, but researching has led me to believe 6.8 may be a better choice, has 80% knockdown power of .308, uppers can be switched for 5.56, etc...what do you all think?

#172 ·
No doubt the mighty 6.8 is a very nice choice but I am not sure how anyone can say it has 80% of the 308 power
because this is very subjective. Then we could also say the 6.5BR has more power than the 308W downrange
or the 458 socom has more power in short range.
The 6.8 does very well in 16" to 18" super light carbines if measured against military M80 type of load out of 16" barrel.
Then it comes the issue of weight. AR actions for the 308 are heavier than the AR15 counterparts.
But lets say one lightens up the 308 platform by choosing parts wisely and then one shoots 308w lighter loads
optimized for the shorter 18 and 16" barrels. Then there is a strong case for someone that uses 308w and has
lots of brass to stick with it. Or to build any derivate of the 308 that is easy.
The same thing happens with the 5.56 but going up. If someone can improve the 5.56 itself or reuse 5.56 brass
and get a caliber that is easy to make and reload then there might be a strong case for sticking to that too.
So once gets passed the coolness factor and being true to one wants to achieve there are wonderful options
all over. Many seem to be pretty different but carefully choosing bullets and loads and parts one can achieve the
virtually the same things.
The issue with NYS is also that if one goes for a rifle with lots of power in shorter barrels and w/o a break in
compliant versions then it is potentially harder on the shooter and not so enjoyable.
So if one wants to shoot heavy loads of any kind it might be best to go for heavy barrel / long barrel and put
some weight on the firearm.

#175 ·
And that is why I love the 6x45 because it is so easy and while it is still a light caliber it provides an improvement but using the same
brass, magazines, bolts, etc.. only the barrel changes and one can use the same 5.56 brass and come up with loads from 75gr super
fast to 95gr and even 105gr loading single stack to shoot long range very easily and very inexpensively.
So for folks on a budget anything that is 5.56 or 308 or an easy derivate is a no brainer. Brass is inexpensive or even free.
And when it comes to find loads for the original calibers or simply to produce more brass with bulk ammunition for practice then
the cost is one fraction of the cost of calibers that require special brass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.