How often do you clean, and how hot do you allow your pistol to get before you say th
Close

Private

Default How often do you clean, and how hot do you allow your pistol to get before you say th

I usually cleaned my ruger and springfield after every shoot, but the glock I went 20rds, then 30 rds, then 250rds before I cleaned it and lubed it up. I stopped after the 250rds because I felt the slide was getting to hot and didn't want to ruin the firearm. Am I being overly cautious cleaning them that much and worrying about heat, or am I doing the right thing. I've heard so many inputs at the range and would like some more opinions.

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Les

I think a lot depends on the gun. I shoot a Smith and Wesson Model 41 weekly from Dec. thru April, 100 to 150 rounds a week and I clean it once a year. I scrub the bolt face with a brush occasionally but that's all I do on a regular basis. I've found the 41 cycles more reliably when it is dirty. When I clean it, I need to put 200 to 300 rounds through it before is cycles every round and I have convinced the other 41 owners who shoot with me that this is in fact true. They now do the same and have had better results for reliability. . My center fire pistols I clean about every 2nd or 3rd trip to the range. My carry gun I clean religiously. Being dirty shouldn't make the gun run any hotter. I don't think you can get a semi auto pistol hot enough to upset the heat treatment of the metals it is made of. Maybe more members will chime in on this thread.
    NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer - SAF Member
    ==="Safety is something that happens between your ears, not in your hands" - Col. Jeff Cooper ===

Private

I did feel that I was cleaning them too often. I just didn't want any foreign materials obstructing the barrel especially build-up of lead and any unburned powder. Do you clean your carry gun even if you don't fire it and if so is a monthly regimen or a weekly regimen

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra89 View Post
    Do you clean your carry gun even if you don't fire it and if so is a monthly regimen or a weekly regimen
    I clean my carry gun whenever I get back from the range. I shoot my carry gun regularly at the range as anyone should.
    NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer - SAF Member
    ==="Safety is something that happens between your ears, not in your hands" - Col. Jeff Cooper ===

Same here, Les.

Colonel

I clean after every use because my use of my firearms is spotty at best. If I shoot one round I clean my guns.
    I doubt shooting it and not cleaning it for 250 rounds would cause any trouble at all with the gun. There are people who shoot more than that at one range session. I’ve don’t it. Not regularly but that’s only 5 boxes of pistol ammo. There are videos of people shooting 10,000-20,000 rounds with out cleaning or maitenance. I don’t recommend that.

It all depends on how I use a particular firearm.

Target pistols get cleaned when there is a failure or a match coming up, but usually not detail cleaned. Glocks get detail cleaned at the beginning of GSSF season and are usually good to go for the season, that can be up to 3,000 rounds depending on the pistol. I use 4 throughout the season.

I have an S&W 22 Victory that I don't clean at all until multiple failures, I use it as a training gun mostly for trigger press practice. It gets about as dirty with caked on residue as any pistol you will ever see. At that point it gets a really good detail cleaning.

My carry firearms get a field strip cleaning once a month and a detail cleaning once a year. The light weight pistols don't get shot very much to keep the wear down to a minimum as an aluminum frame doesn't take the beating a steel frame would.

Rifles, shotguns, and black powder get cleaned when necessary. The Black powder guns on every trip to the range.

Most of it depends on what type of gun owner you are, a neetnik, someone like me who believes that the gun needs some dirt and residue to run properly, or the guy/lady who shoots to failure and sells the gun.

...Ron
    2% People! All you have to be is 2% smarter than whatever it is you are working on. Jeesh.