Springfield Armory Ronin
Close

Private

Default Springfield Armory Ronin

I've wanted a 1911 style pistol for some time and came across the new SA Ronin handgun. They come in 9mm and 45 acp and are really pretty nice looking. Anyone have any experience with them or know about them?

thanks

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Colonel

For a forged gun the price can’t be beat. The forged Springfield 1911 get good reviews. I have no first hand experience with this gun though.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by Saltwater60 View Post
    For a forged gun the price canít be beat. The forged Springfield 1911 get good reviews. I have no first hand experience with this gun though.
    yup the build quality on these seem really nice.

Private

I've never used that particular 1911, but one of the things I look for on any 1911 I do own is that on any caliber other than the .45acp, that it have a ramped barrel. On the higher pressure calibers, the extra chamber support a ramped barrel has means it handles those higher pressure rounds without getting case belling. That helps if you plan of reloading, and its just safer in the long run.

The barrel ramp angle also changes from caliber to caliber. With a ramped barrel you can swap between several different calibers on certain frames without worrying that a built-in frame ramp might cause feeding problems... as the ramp is changed with the barrel. So in that case, if you plan on changing out to multiple calibers, even the .45acp should be a ramped barrel and frame then.

The good thing about the 1911 is that it can be upgrade if you wish. If you have the skill you can do those upgrades yourself or have a gunsmith do them. In the end you can go from a over-the-counter base gun to something custom fit for you. I have yet to meet a 1911 I didn't like or couldn't turn into something I do like.