TICKS - bloodsucking bastards!!!
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default TICKS - bloodsucking bastards!!!

With the turkey season upon us, please take this reminder seriously.

Check for ticks. Be vigilant - they are very active in the spring season and turkey hunting puts you right there in their territory. Really, there is not much other hunting that puts you as directly in contact with ticks than the usual turkey hunting setup.

Don't put your family at risk - manage your clothes too. Try to take your outer layers off before you get in your truck/car and when you get home put them in the dryer on high heat for a cycle. That is one of the only ways to kill them little bastards.

All the bug spray in the world may not be enough, so do your due diligence to keep yourself and your family safe from the diseases these things carry. Lyme disease is only one, but it is a real whammy, and they are finding that the ticks carry more disease than just Lyme.

If you see that bullseye rash go get some antibiotics. They are pricey, heavy duty, and make you feel like crap for 20 days, but I bet it is better than living with Lyme disease.
    Born in a desert, raised in a lion's den...

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." Ronald Reagan, July 31, 1968

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

TICKS - bloodsucking bastards!!!
    Liberal democrats tick me off too, though this was a thread about them.
    ======================================
    SCOPE/NRA/
    NRA Instructor/RSO
    Support your local FFL
    Save the environment, recycle; learn to reload.
    Certified Desk Pilot; multi engine rating.

Major

Do not under estimate the damage a tiny bug bite can do to you - a tick bite with or without the rash can literally kill you. Get them off you ASAP and if you develop any new aches and pains get treated for Lyme immediately. I had a bite above the hair line so no rash could show.
    Trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness. Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him, and He will act. Psalm 37:3-7

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Sergeant

Out shed hunting the other day had a couple on me walking up my jeans, i'm always aware of them. from hunting season to shed season. cant believe they lived thru that cold we had. National Grid guys told me the frost line was 6ft deep in the ground when i asked them

Just found out my four-legged buddy has lyme disease in him from a tick. Must have happened when we moved into our new house in Little Falls. The deer are always in my backyard. I sprayed this spring, but it was either not enough or too late. The vet told me that it probably won't amount to anything for the dog, but we're trying antibiotics.

Private

I was walking in the woods and around 20 - 40 were on me none bit me though

Major

The tick has to stay on you for more than 24 hours to transmit Lyme. Check yourself all over after being outdoors. You have plenty of time That's the most practical way to prevent Lyme.

My wife found one on our 6 year old last Thursday on his head. The tick had some size to it so he was on for a little while. Our dog got Lyme disease last year so my wife was pretty upset. My son is too young for the prevention med so they told us to call them asap if he developes any rashes or runs a fever.
    S.A.F.E ACT

S.tealing A.rms F.rom E.veryone. A.ndrew C.uomo's T.reachery

My son and I spent a week in the Algonquin national park during blackfly season. We split a clove of raw garlic every day. Not a single skeeter,blackfly, tick or spider bite. This might not be a good idea during hunting season. Of coarse the bears probably thought we were pre-seasoned.
    SCOPE/NRA/
    NRA Instructor/RSO
    Support your local FFL

Major

Quote Originally Posted by Mosinitis View Post
    The tick has to stay on you for more than 24 hours to transmit Lyme. Check yourself all over after being outdoors. You have plenty of time That's the most practical way to prevent Lyme.
    The longer they are on the more likely they are to transmit Lyme, but they also carry anaplasmosis, babiosis, and virus that can be transmitted. Do not think that you are somehow safe if you think you have removed the parasite at the 23rd hour.....
    Trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness. Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him, and He will act. Psalm 37:3-7

It's no joke. One of my kids had a HUGE tick on her head for several days last year. By the time we saw it the thing was engorged and massive. We kept an eye out for lyme afterward, but it's often very tricky to diagnose. Did bring it to a lab but all they did was confirm it was a deer tick. Apparently they don't test to see if it was actually carrying lyme. The single biggest thing to do is remove ticks before they stay on you; if you do it soon you're almost guaranteed to be fine.

Years back I found a couple in my nethers ,but it was shortly after they were on and it was in a state with a very low incidence of lyme-carrying ticks.
    Last edited by Blimey; 05-01-2015 at 09:14 AM.

I had hopes that the ticks would be better this year because of the extreme, and LONG cold that we had this winter. Damn.
    RPD 46

Use Permethrin liberally all over your clothes, and get their bug lotion as well for your exposed skin. Permethrin KILLS ticks that come into contact with properly treated fabrics, like your clothes, tent fabric, and Sleeping Bags. It's not cheap stuff, but one application will usually last a full week. Use that and carry a Aluminum Tick Remover Key on your Keychain to remove any buggers that manage to get latched on!
    NRA Life Member

I still have 2 red bumps from bites last year. I religiously use permathrin liberally like perfume on a French hooker now.

It's not officially spring, imo, until I pull one of those little blood sucking leeches off of me. From what I understand Lyme (which is no joke) is the least of your concerns with those little buggers. Lately I've been bathing in off deep woods which does help repel them. Yet to try Permethrin but have heard good things about them.
    NRA * GOA * NYSRPA * SCOPE * SAF

“That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer’s cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.” - George Orwell

I had to have Urgent Care pull one out of the side of my neck last year. They're not too tough to get out with a small pair of tweezers, but I couldn't do it properly while craning my head to the right, looking in the mirror, and using my left hand to try and get him. The worst part is that I felt it the night before and couldn't see it. It just felt like a skin tag. The thing was well engorged the next morning when I got out of the shower and saw it in the mirror.
    All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope....

~Winston Churchill~

The last three years have been the worst for ticls around here. Our cows and goats have had quite a few. I try to get them off but its tough to pick at a bulls belly. The livestock dont seem to mind.
    Last year our cat had a hugely engorged tick I picked off her. A week later she was at the vet with a still undiagnosed illness. She was on fluids and antibiotics for a few days. She almost died, she could barely move and could not eat or drink anything for a week, I fed her with a syringe. The vet said it was not tick paralysis but something hes seen a couple times in the last few years. He sent our cats blood to a lab but they could not identify it either.

A few comments: Use permethrin on your clothing including your socks. Use DEET on your exposed skin (don't forget ears and back of neck. Wear a permithirn treated hat. If you find a tick, have it removed ASAP (do not bother with that old 'hold a match to it's rear end' it may be a stupid insect but it is not dumb enough to back into a flame.)

If you find one attached to your skin, go to an urgent care or your doc right away and get an Rx for a single dose of 200 mg of Doxycycline. It covers most of the bacterial bugs that ticks carry.

This applies to hunters, golfer, hikers, etc.
    Oswego County Handgun Safety Instructor
    Basic Pistol, Pers. Prot. Home and, PP Outside Home Instructor

Pulled 2 dog ticks off the puppy yesterday, don't forget to check your pets often

Sergeant

I've been in the woods for the last 5 days and had a tick crawling on me 3 times. I check while in the woods, before i get to my car, and at home. It really helps to change clothes before the ride home too. Heck, I even got a speck of poison ivy already, spring is here!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants" - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by barrelmelter View Post
    I still have 2 red bumps from bites last year. I religiously use permathrin liberally like perfume on a French hooker now.
    Please don't post pictures.
    SCOPE/NRA/
    NRA Instructor/RSO
    Support your local FFL

Quote Originally Posted by VARMINT223 View Post
    My son and I spent a week in the Algonquin national park during blackfly season. We split a clove of raw garlic every day. Not a single skeeter,blackfly, tick or spider bite. This might not be a good idea during hunting season. Of coarse the bears probably thought we were pre-seasoned.
    I had not heard of this - garlic helps prevent them from biting? If true, that's pretty amazing. Are you sure your breath does not kill them before they have a chance to land?? Haha.
    Born in a desert, raised in a lion's den...

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." Ronald Reagan, July 31, 1968

General

Damn blood sucking parasites!! I hate 'em!! Don't get too close to one .... I got lyme disease from them!!

Quote Originally Posted by JIMMAGU View Post
    I had not heard of this - garlic helps prevent them from biting? If true, that's pretty amazing. Are you sure your breath does not kill them before they have a chance to land?? Haha.
    The garlic gets into your bloodstream and you actually exhale it through your lungs, as opposed to garlic being in your mouth. If you consume large amounts of garlic you'll literally reek for days. Not bad if everyone else around you eats garlic because you all smell the same. Some people feed dried garlic to their dogs for the same effect. Dogs have naturally bad breath so who the hell actually knows. Anyways, my brothers dogs are bothered at a minimum by fleas, ticks and mosquitoes. When people eat a half bulb a day you feel the garlic in your system and notice an odor change. Half a bulb per person is a lot.

A bonus was that US customs didn't question us for long at the border .
    SCOPE/NRA/
    NRA Instructor/RSO
    Support your local FFL

I carry two trauma kits, one that fixes and one that causes.
    GunSite Academy, 250 Pistol Course, Marksman
    GOA
    USAF 1971 - 1975

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast