Heads up: Safe Storage of Firearms Act Public Hearing - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sensible and reasonable, should always be defeated with fact and logic. Because their sensible and reasonable is based on emotions.
    Disclosure: I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ewthompson View Post
    One more thing. I am on the mailing list of a number of groups that I consider to be anti-2A. You all should strongly consider doing the same. What better way to learn of their plans than straight from the horse's mouth?
    This is a good idea. Im gonna figure out how i can track any local meetings like this so i can attend and do as you did.
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace"
    All statements and opinions made here are for discussion purposes only, and not meant to promote any illegal behavior or activity.

Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by ewthompson View Post
    What I saw as the most significant development, was the improving degree of organization and coordination being shown by the different groups there. Moms Demand Action organized the event, though I don't believe they advertised the event as a MDA meeting. But there were attendees who identified themselves as representing the medical, theological and general academia fields. They were cross referencing connections they all have and laying groundwork to gain the support of key individuals who hold influence over staff members and underlings in their respective vocations/ places of employment. The point is that now since there is really not much which is considered to be an overreach by the anti-2A crowd, we are going to see much more focused and aggressive tactics. And they are also fully aware of the effectiveness of incrementalism. It moves the bar and gets people adjusted to the "new normal" and provides a starting point for even more, additional "sensible gun laws."

Right after I spoke my piece, an older woman got up and tearfully told how she lost a son to gun violence and that next week marks the one year anniversary of his death. While the crowd respectfully listened to my points, and even clapped when I finished, the challenge of presenting reasoned objections to intrusive laws vs. the sincere agony of a family losing members to "gun violence" is a long shot. Especially when the crowd at events like these is overwhelmingly biased against any pro 2A sentiment.

The process was civil, and I get the sense that as a (relatively young) Black man, they really did not anticipate me attending the meeting and expressing the position I did. The more that people of color, women, and other types who don't "fit the narrative" are willing and able to logically, coolly present reasons why proposed laws are *not* sensible or reasonable, the better chance there is to knock off the head of steam that groups like MDA are gathering.

But every pro 2A person, regardless of sex, color, orientation, could help their own cause by showing up to events like this and in a composed manner laying out reasons why many of the laws being suggested are misguided. As some of you have seen, there is even a poll that was given a couple weeks ago that purports to show that young people are overwhelmingly in favor of a complete ban on semiautomatic guns. Like I said, nothing is seen as an overreach. The manner in which the pro 2A faction responds to these challenges (angrily or intelligently) will influence how the media presents the struggle. We need to get smarter about coordinating our efforts, and find an effective way to cripple the "sensible/reasonable" mantra. Being smart about what quotes are made to reporters, what statistics are cited, all of that matters.
    Thank you for taking the time, and having courage to publicly dispute their madness while using logic and reasoning. Well done.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Private

agree

Common sense???

I can keep firearms almost anywhere provided they have a cheap trigger lock??

BUT if I keep them in a 350 pound steel gun safe they must be unloaded and my ammunition must be kept somewhere else, not securely locked in the steel walls of my safe???

Private

the laws are rediculous in NY! good luck to all of us law abiding citizens!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12