Close

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By RayKnobs
  • 1 Post By PDR_AR15
  • 1 Post By RayKnobs

Thread: Still to late to transfer?

Private

Default Still to late to transfer?

Hello All, Found site researching SAFE Act and what an Act. Retired from Military June 2016 and was out of State during the start of this crap. A buddy bugged me to shoot after seeing my new upper. Also said I needed to register my AR. Did it and two days later was asked to come to NYSP substation to confirm make, model and serial #. At that point I was told I needed to surrender my weapons to NYS because I was in the system as flagged from owning firearms. I could not get anything paperwork wise, other that the inventory sheet for the guns and a mental health waiver request. Called NYS OMH and they told me to check the NICS database, such bull. Did an inquiry with DOJ and there is nothing in the federal system barring me from owning,buying or possessing firearms. Want to transfer firearms to son till I get the fixed. I'm so pissed, 29yrs of service and 100 P&T and now I can't even hunt. Any help would be great. THX.

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    TMC

registration ended 2014 it was for 1 year any AR15 in NY today must be NY Safe Act compliant. I am surprised you got as far as you did in attempting to register perhaps due to a military waver .As far as transferring unless it is Safe Act compliant you cannot transfer it especially if it is a registered Assault weapon per Safe Act guide lines .Just got done talking to a local ADA in regards to Safe Act compliance at 10:30 this morning .As far as being flagged could be an address or name problem I had a similar issue last month buying a firearm I was flagged by address come to find out it was a case that my name and the address I gave didn't match with what was in the system due to a similar name and address took a while to get straightened out and was most aggravating Keep trying good luck you may end up seeking 2A advise from a lawyer

Thank you for your service, damn shame NY has to abuse your rights.

FUAC
    Safety first, never last
    Have a future, not a past.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

M_F

Even if they don't let you keep the AR (the registration closed in 2014) if it is NY State complaint then no registration is needed make sure you get NICS cleared because a flag on NICS will follow you no matter where you go, even in a more gun friendly state. Good Luck, keep us updated on your progress.
    Last edited by M_F; 10-24-2017 at 09:55 PM.

Private

The guns were one AR and 8 mix rifle,shotgun, blackpower with 2 AR uppers. I can live with losing the AR for now but, some of the others have come down thru the family. Wondering if I could sign over the non-ar stuff.

TMC

since non assault weapons your average hunting bolt actions and shotguns are not under the safe act you can transfer then but you must go thru a FFL and pay the transfer fee unless you transfer to a direct family member son,daughter wife etc... .The uppers are not covered under anything you can just hand them over free and clear. The lower is the only issue but if never registered I am wondering if that too could be transferred if you were to strip it then it is not covered under the Safe Act I believe that to be true

Get a lawyer!
    Saltwater60 likes this.
    RPD 46

Private

I agree with TMC - disassemble the AR and it is then compliant and there is nothing that you need to register. Then transfer that lower and the other guns to your son. Then investigate the NICS issue and get that solved. I would be worried that it I surrendered anything I would never see it again.
    TMC likes this.

Colonel

Get a lawyer fast. They may charge you with having an illegal assault riffle since you knowingly had one since you tried to register it. You need a lawyer. They may arrest you after you hand them in. Don't talk or meet with the NYS police or any other law enforcement again without your lawyer. Move guns to PA or sell them to a direct family memeber. I don't agree with giving them to your wife since you live in the same house. That will not fly. Get them to PA and into a storage locker then the state police can't touch them. Of course I'd clear this with a lawyer first. I would even contemplate moving to PA. Also don't try to buy a gun and see if your prohibited or not. See if a local gun store would just run a NICS check on you. I would not put it past the state police to lie to you to get you to turn your guns over. It's an epic ordeal to get them back. If you hand anything over make sure it's documented and they give you something. I know some departments are taking guns and not giving any paperwork on it. Then you have no recourse to get them back. Technically that gun you have is a felony so they may move forward to make you a prohibited person. Good luck and sorry this is happening to you. What you have on your side is you tried to do the right thing and I think there is a provision in the law for that, but who knows. I think the provision is more towards knowing is an assault riffle and not trying to register it.
    Last edited by Saltwater60; 10-27-2017 at 10:01 PM.

Colonel

I would also not tell them that your riffle was ever assembled. I would say that you were planning on doing that after registration of the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltwater60 View Post
    See if a local gun store would just run a NICS check on you. .
    Stop offering advice. please, just stop
    TMC likes this.
    RPD 46

Your buddy owes you a rifle. He screwed you by not knowing what he was talking about.
    Watering the Tree Of Liberty is not achieved by the killing of innocents, but by preserving the lives of those innocents with your own if necessary.

Colonel

[QUOTE=RayKnobs;1521434]Stop offering advice. please, just stop[/QUOTE

I reread my post and I meant to say don't try to buy a gun just see if they can run a check to see if you'll pass a NCIS check.

Private

Retmil - NY ain't what it was when you left.

Since your firearms are in storage in Pa, do not attempt to buy or transfer anything.
    Don't bring them into NY until your lawyer gets this rectified.
    That serialized completely stripped lower is a paper weight somewhere correct
    Last edited by deeuubee; 10-28-2017 at 10:07 AM. Reason: spelling