Safe act/pistol permit/ ADD meds
Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By smitty846

Thread: Safe act/pistol permit/ ADD meds

Private

Default Safe act/pistol permit/ ADD meds

Hello, I'm making this post to see if anyone has any answers from personal experience with this topic. I'm a CCW holder currently. When I was young and in school I was on ADD meds and they helped with my grades and staying with tasks with ease. After school I ditched the meds and have not been on them in almost 15 years. I'm considering talking to my doc about going on a small dosage to help me stay focused when working. My concern is I'm not sure if I was to have a prescription to an ADD med like Adderall would affect my CCW or other gun rights because of the Safe act. So that's my question... Can I have an ADD script and still have my CCW?

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by Sr89 View Post
    Hello, I'm making this post to see if anyone has any answers from personal experience with this topic. I'm a CCW holder currently. When I was young and in school I was on ADD meds and they helped with my grades and staying with tasks with ease. After school I ditched the meds and have not been on them in almost 15 years. I'm considering talking to my doc about going on a small dosage to help me stay focused when working. My concern is I'm not sure if I was to have a prescription to an ADD med like Adderall would affect my CCW or other gun rights because of the Safe act. So that's my question... Can I have an ADD script and still have my CCW?
    I don't think it would cause an issue at all. Even if you were applying I don't think it would be a problem. Now that you already have the permit how would they ever know? You aren't being treated for a mental illness. You aren't being involuntary committed to a hospital. Adderall is taken to improve focus. It's not something you are prescribed so you don't kill yourself or others. In my opinion (and I'm a little smarter than the average bear) you have nothing to worry about.

Went through something similar in Suffolk County for medication for my lower back, I had to get a notarized letter that I was “qualified” to possess firearms (Renewal).

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Corporal

I think you guys are causing yourselves unnecessary trouble. What is the exact wording on the forms? Does is say list any and all medications or does it ask about mental illness treatment? There is a big difference. How anyone would know about medication or anything related to a back injury for a pistol permit is only because you're volunteering unnecessary information. Don't open cans of worms that don't need to be opened. You are asking for problems. Provide the exact necessary information and nothing more. "Anything you say can and will be used against you"
    chuck and Vicarious like this.

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by smitty846 View Post
    I think you guys are causing yourselves unnecessary trouble. What is the exact wording on the forms? Does is say list any and all medications or does it ask about mental illness treatment? There is a big difference. How anyone would know about medication or anything related to a back injury for a pistol permit is only because you're volunteering unnecessary information. Don't open cans of worms that don't need to be opened. You are asking for problems. Provide the exact necessary information and nothing more. "Anything you say can and will be used against you"
    Momma always said never invite trouble in.

Private

Don't ask don't tell

Private

they can violate the Federal HIPAA law according to the SAFE ACT. That's why I added SAFE ACT in the tittle.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by Sr89 View Post
    I don't think it would cause an issue at all. Even if you were applying I don't think it would be a problem. Now that you already have the permit how would they ever know? You aren't being treated for a mental illness. You aren't being involuntary committed to a hospital. Adderall is taken to improve focus. It's not something you are prescribed so you don't kill yourself or others. In my opinion (and I'm a little smarter than the average bear) you have nothing to worry about.
    we are required to re new every 5 years and they are "Allowed" to check our med records in NYS due to the SAFE ACT.

Corporal

None of that changes the fact that they are asking for mental illness NOT prescriptions taken. Do NOT divulge anything not SPECIFICALLY asked for. You are causing your own trouble.

There will be no record at state mental health. You are not receiving mental treatments. They aren't getting lists of prescription drugs from everyones doctor. Proceed as usual. Check "NO" and carry on.
    Last edited by smitty846; 05-26-2020 at 01:34 PM.