How to bring an AR-15 to NY?
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By alistair

Thread: How to bring an AR-15 to NY?

Private

Default How to bring an AR-15 to NY?

It seems that according to the https://safeact.ny.gov/ website, the definition of an "assault weapon" is based upon it having a detachable magazine or not. The website's tool to help you figure if you have an assault weapon seems to prove that. It doesn't matter if it has a telescoping stock, pistol grip, or any of the other evil features. As long as you can convert the rifle to have a fixed 10 rd magazine, it's legal in NY.

I'm moving to NY. Looks like all I need to do is install the Mean MA Lock device and a fixed magazine, and the rifle should be legal in NY. https://www.meanarms.com/products/detail/ma-lock I see AR manufacturers selling CA and NY compliant rifles with fixed magazines but all the other cool features remain.

Can someone confirm this? OR do I have to go the whole "featureless" route?

Thanks!

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by roosterdoode View Post
    It seems that according to the https://safeact.ny.gov/ website, the definition of an "assault weapon" is based upon it having a detachable magazine or not. The website's tool to help you figure if you have an assault weapon seems to prove that. It doesn't matter if it has a telescoping stock, pistol grip, or any of the other evil features. As long as you can convert the rifle to have a fixed 10 rd magazine, it's legal in NY.

I'm moving to NY. Looks like all I need to do is install the Mean MA Lock device and a fixed magazine, and the rifle should be legal in NY. https://www.meanarms.com/products/detail/ma-lock I see AR manufacturers selling CA and NY compliant rifles with fixed magazines but all the other cool features remain.

Can someone confirm this? OR do I have to go the whole "featureless" route?

Thanks!
    You are correct. Fix the mag. Everything else is fine.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by smitty846 View Post
    You are correct. Fix the mag. Everything else is fine.

Awesome! Thanks sir!

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Colonel

I personally wouldn’t use one with a shear bolt. I’d look at DF’s ranch fixed mag version and fill the hole with plumbers putty about half way then fill the rest with epoxy. That what you can remove both if you ever needed to. A shear bolt you’re looking at drilling it out and potentially damaging the riffle. The DF’s ranch option gets the pass by at a large gun store with lots of sheriff and troopers running around d. Guys never been hassled

Can I assume you are moving to NY State and not NYC ?
    Saltwater60 likes this.

Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by alistair View Post
    Good point. NYC is different.

Private

Yep NYC is only 5 round magazine fix or internal,they will not register anything over that and do not bring anything that holds more than 5 within the city if they stop you will have problems and if you are planing to hunt a fix 10 round magazine on any semi auto rifle is a no go no more than 6 shells at one time in the magazine and chamber combined.

roosterdoode welcome to our state

Private

Quote Originally Posted by alistair View Post
    Yes, moving to NY, not NYC. I've already ordered a magazine from CompMag to use as a fixed 10 round mag. Seems like an easy solution and also loads rounds fairly quick.

Coming to NY state for employment opportunity - which is a blessing in these times. Sometimes you take what you can, where you can. But the NY gun laws are outrageous. I guess you have to take the good with the bad. I hope to become involved however I can to change or repeal these laws.

Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by roosterdoode View Post
    Yes, moving to NY, not NYC. I've already ordered a magazine from CompMag to use as a fixed 10 round mag. Seems like an easy solution and also loads rounds fairly quick.

Coming to NY state for employment opportunity - which is a blessing in these times. Sometimes you take what you can, where you can. But the NY gun laws are outrageous. I guess you have to take the good with the bad. I hope to become involved however I can to change or repeal these laws.

there’s not much good in NYS other than the countryside is pretty.

I’m assuming you’re moving for a job. I sure do hope you calculated in the cost of living in NYS because it’s rather high. Taxes are rather outrageous honestly.