NYS legal rifles
Close

Private

Default NYS legal rifles

Hi all,

I have a NYC rifle/shotgun license and Iím looking to purchase my first rifle. I have experience with, and own, several shotguns and handguns, but have not spent much time with rifles. Iím hoping someone can give a recommendation on a rifle that would be good for home defense if needed, but more important to me would be something fun to shoot at the range. the problem I keep running into is finding something that is legal under NY law. Any suggestions??

Thank you!

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Colonel

Most riffles are not great home defense guns. Go with a pistol or riffle.
    As for NYC there’s not much fun IMO for range use. As far as I know even safe act AR-15’s aren’t allowed for NYC. There some bolt action AR-15 looking guns but they are expensive and I’m not sure they are legal in NYC. I’d think they are but not super familiar with NYC. What yardage is your range? 25-50 yards is common but not really a challenge for a descent riffle.

Private

Can you give us more information are you looking for practice ,hunting,
    You can always start with a Ruger 10/22 ,savage axis in 308, Ruger American rifle,Browning AB3.
    AR-15 are allowed as long as there SAFE ACT compliant and 5 round magazine(NYC).
    AR-15 featureless with a 5 round detachable magazine is OK.If you want to have all those horrible features you will need to have a 5 round fix magazine.
    Do you have a gun range in mind,most ranges within city limits are limited by 22. for rifle,most handgun caliber and 12&20g no slugs or buckshot.
    Remember one of the most important parts of being a gun owner from NYC ammo limit 200 round of everything you have in your premise,it sucks i know but do not travel with more than 200 within the city they stop you and there is trouble.
    As Saltwater60 said go with a decent pistol for home defense if you have your pistol permit Example you upland bird hunting shotgun with a long barrel its to long for thigh corners in your house.
    Don't forget to read your Safe storage act.And you said for home defense catch up on NYS Duty to retreat/castle doctrine.

Find a good friend that lives outside of NYC that you trust and get him a safe where you can store your extra ammo and those horrifying large capacity magazines (10 rounds). Buying ammo in bulk is cheaper and depending on type and how much practice your doing you will save a lot of money in the long run.

I should have clarify AR-15 by name is banned in NYC but there are alternatives.

Regarding AR-15,read title 10 chapter 3
    https://nycadministrativecode.readth...ter-3-firearms
    Last edited by frey; 06-17-2020 at 12:01 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Private

Thank you both for your replies!

For home defense I would certainly look to grab one of my shotguns or pistols. Even though I belong to a couple of ranges in NYC, I typically go to NJ or PA for most of my training, range days, etc. I don't know of any ranges in NYC that allow shotguns. I'm a fan of RTSP in NJ for indoor shotgun and pistol shooting - so I would imagine If I was practicing indoors with my rifle I would shoot there. I've read up on the fixed magazine rules and ideally I would prefer to have something that does not have a fixed magazine, so if I go to PA (or eventually move there), I can use a larger capacity magazine. I would also prefer to stay away from bolt action.

The only rifle I really have experience with is a bushmaster Ar-15, which I like, but is not NYC legal. I would love to get something as close to that as possible in .223 that would be legal in NYC.
    Last edited by MVM245; 06-17-2020 at 02:58 PM.

Private

Well here is a list of what we cannot have
    1) Models CALICO M-900 CARBINE, CALICO M-100 CARBINE manufactured by AMERICAN INDUSTRIES, (2) Models LIGHTNING 25-22, AP-74 manufactured by AMT,
    (3) Model AR-180 manufactured by ARMALITE,
    (4) Model .223 SAC manufactured by AUSTRALIAN AUTOMATIC ARMS,
    (5) Models M-1-SA, 1927-A1-SA manufactured by AUTO ORDINANCE,
    (6) Model LIGHT 50 82-AL manufactured by BARRETT FIREARMS,
    (7) Models AR70, BM 59 manufacutured by BERETTA,
    (8) Model ASSAULT RIFLE manufactured by BUSHMASTER FIREARMS,
    (9) Model SR-88 manufactured by CHARTERED FIREARMS INDUSTRIES,
    (10) Models AR-15 manufactured by COLT,
    (11) Models MAX-1, MAX-2, K1A1, K2, USAS-12 SHOTGUN manufactured by DAEWOO INDUSTRIES,
    (12) Models C90, C100, C450 manufactured by DMAX INDUSTRIES,
    (13) Model MK-IV CARBINE manufactured by ENCOM,
    (14) Models FN-FAL, FN-LAR, FN-FNC manufactured by FABRIQUE NATION- ALE,
    (15) Model MAS 223 manufactured by FAMAS,
    (16) Models AT-9 CARBINE, AT-22 CARBINE manufatured by FEATHER INDUS- TRIES,
    (17) Models XC-450 AUTO OCARBINE, XC-220, XC-900 manufactured by FEDERAL ENGINEERING CORPORATION,
    (18) Models SPAS-12, LAW-12 PUMP AUTO SHOTGUNS manufactured by FRANCHI,
    (19) Model GC HIGH TECH CARBINE manufactured by GONCZ COMPANY,
    (20) Models HK-91, HK-93, HK-94, PSG-1, G3-SA manufactured by HECKLER & KOCH,
    (21) Models UZI-CARBINE, MINI-UZI CARBINE, GALIL-ARM, GALIL-AR, GALIL-SAR, GALIL-SNIPER manufactured by ISRAELI MILITARY INDUSTRIES,
    (22) Model PM-30 PARATROOPER manufactured by IVER JOHNSON,
    (23) Models AP-74, AP-84, AP-80, AP-85, SPECTRE AUTO CARBINE manufactured by MITCHELL ARMS,
    (24) Models of the KALASHNIKOV type SEMIAUTOMATIC, including those manufactured by NORINCO (China) and HUNGARIAN ARMS,
    (25) Models NDM-86 SNIPER RIFLE manufactured by NORINCO,
    (26) Model M-14S manufactured by POLYTECH INDUSTRIES,
    (27) Model MINI-14/5F manufactured by RUGER,
    (28) Models 57-AMT, PE-57, SG550SP, SG551SP manufactured by SIGARMS,
    (29) Model L1A1A manufactured by SMALL ARMS FACTORY, AUSTRALIA,
    (30) Models BM-59, SAR-48, SAR-58, SAR-3, M-1A manufactured by SPRINGFIELD ARMORY,
    (31) Model MK-6 manufactured by STERLING,
    (32) Model AUG-SA manufactured by STEYR DAIMLER-PUSCH,
    (33) Models M-76-SA, M-78-SA manufactured by VALMET CORPORATION, and
    (34) Model NIGHTHAWK manufactured by WEAVER ARMS CORPORATION

Private

Seems like it would be easier to post what we CAN have =)

Colonel

I’d check on the AR-15 Being allowed in NYC. As far as I know they are a no go even safe act compliant.

[COLOR=rgba(13, 13, 13, 0.9)]New York City[/COLOR]

• "Assault weapons," including the AR-15, are banned in the city. Only law enforcement officers, current or retired, are exempt.
    • Gun owners must have a permit for and register all other weapons — handguns, rifles and shotguns. Gun owners also need a license and permit to carry.
    • All other state gun laws apply in New York City.

Corporal

with a 5 round magazine this is NYC legal.
    Ditto for the Ruger Mini 14

https://modernfirearms.net/en/civilian-rifles/u-s-a-civilian-rifles/ares-scr-eng/