Untraceable Firearms Act
Close

Private

Thumbs down Untraceable Firearms Act

NY State passes untraceable firearms act. Now going to NY Assembly for vote.

https://www.nysenate.gov/newsroom/pr...eable-firearms

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Colonel

Yes and pay very close attention that the only thing you will be able to do is clean and maintain your firearm. This goes far and beyond just making ghost guns. You won’t be able to install any parts unless you’re a licensed gunsmith. No sights, stocks, scopes, slings even.

Private

What in the world...?? This is all rifles and shotguns, not just "firearms" right? This would make it a felony for me to build a single-shot rifle with wood stock??

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by kumowoon1025 View Post
    What in the world...?? This is all rifles and shotguns, not just "firearms" right? This would make it a felony for me to build a single-shot rifle with wood stock??
    You’d be a felon if you mounted your own scope, changed a stick, fixed a broken firing line, mounted new sights on your gun. You don’t have to build anything to violate this.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by Saltwater60 View Post
    You’d be a felon if you mounted your own scope, changed a stick, fixed a broken firing line, mounted new sights on your gun. You don’t have to build anything to violate this.
    There is much I find perplexing about this bill, mostly how it even got on the floor let alone how it passed the senate, but one thing confounds me in a different way.

§ 5. The penal law is amended by adding a new section 265.07 to read
    as follows:
    § 265.07 REGISTRATION AND SERIALIZATION OF FIREARMS, RIFLES, SHOTGUNS,
    FINISHED FRAMES OR RECEIVERS, AND UNFINISHED FRAMES OR
    RECEIVERS BY GUNSMITHS.
    (1) FOR THE PURPOSES OF THIS SECTION, "UNFINISHED FRAME OR RECEIVER"
    MEANS A PIECE OF ANY MATERIAL THAT DOES NOT CONSTITUTE THE FRAME OR
    RECEIVER OF A FIREARM, RIFLE OR SHOTGUN BUT THAT HAS BEEN SHAPED OR
    FORMED IN ANY WAY FOR THE PURPOSE OF BECOMING THE FRAME OR RECEIVER OF A
    FIREARM, RIFLE OR SHOTGUN, AND WHICH MAY READILY BE MADE INTO A FUNC-
    TIONAL FRAME OR RECEIVER THROUGH MILLING, DRILLING OR OTHER MEANS. THE
    TERM SHALL NOT INCLUDE A PIECE OF MATERIAL THAT
    HAS HAD ITS SIZE OR
    EXTERNAL SHAPE ALTERED TO FACILITATE TRANSPORTATION OR STORAGE OR HAS
    HAD ITS CHEMICAL COMPOSITION ALTERED.
    Disregarding the fact that any piece of material may "readily" be made into a receiver if you mill it...

So if you anodize a 80% AR-15 lower to protect it from scratches or corrosion in transportation then it's perfectly fine?? And there are pistol designs that I can think of "splitting" in multiple pieces that mate like a jigsaw puzzle and pinned back together, not so sure about how it would affect its structural integrity but would certainly facilitate transportation.

And then I see the part that I think you were referring to,

ANY PERSON OTHER THAN A GUNSMITH DULY LICENSED PURSUANT TO SECTION
    400.00 OF THIS CHAPTER WHO ASSEMBLES, MANUFACTURES, FABRICATES, BUILDS
    OR FITS TOGETHER THE COMPONENT PARTS OF A FIREARM, RIFLE OR SHOTGUN,
    OTHER THAN FOR THE PURPOSES OF PERFORMING ROUTINE CLEANING OR MAINTE-
    NANCE ON A LAWFULLY POSSESSED FIREARM, RIFLE OR SHOTGUN FOR NON-COMMER-
    CIAL PURPOSES, IS GUILTY OF A CLASS C FELONY.
    but "component parts"??? Surely this interferes with interstate commerce enough to be unconstitutional without even having anything to do with the 2A, no?

I was asking about the legality of designing a non-firearm carbine from a newly manufactured (not stripped from a pistol) P320 FCU in another post, not sure what happened to it, I think it told me it had to wait for mod approval, but this kind of thing makes the question seem moot.

Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by kumowoon1025 View Post
    There is much I find perplexing about this bill, mostly how it even got on the floor let alone how it passed the senate, but one thing confounds me in a different way.

Disregarding the fact that any piece of material may "readily" be made into a receiver if you mill it...

So if you anodize a 80% AR-15 lower to protect it from scratches or corrosion in transportation then it's perfectly fine?? And there are pistol designs that I can think of "splitting" in multiple pieces that mate like a jigsaw puzzle and pinned back together, not so sure about how it would affect its structural integrity but would certainly facilitate transportation.

And then I see the part that I think you were referring to,

but "component parts"??? Surely this interferes with interstate commerce enough to be unconstitutional without even having anything to do with the 2A, no?

I was asking about the legality of designing a non-firearm carbine from a newly manufactured (not stripped from a pistol) P320 FCU in another post, not sure what happened to it, I think it told me it had to wait for mod approval, but this kind of thing makes the question seem moot.
    It not hasn’t passed yet. Keep in mind any pistol frame that is milled to be functional will need to be placed on your pistol permit for legal reasons. Also make sure you follow federal guidelines and the safe act if you’re planning on doing this. Although the 320 pistol grip is not serialized just the FCU but that’s would need to be added to your pistol permit.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by Saltwater60 View Post
    It not hasn’t passed yet. Keep in mind any pistol frame that is milled to be functional will need to be placed on your pistol permit for legal reasons. Also make sure you follow federal guidelines and the safe act if you’re planning on doing this. Although the 320 pistol grip is not serialized just the FCU but that’s would need to be added to your pistol permit.
    It passed the upper house, vote seems to have been along party lines mostly, but still... I really don't understand the gameplan, am I mistaken for thinking it would be struck down in federal court"

Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread a little (not sure what/who I need to ping to get a new thread approved as a new user) but if it's just been manufactured, what makes a receiver/frame one for a pistol? I mean I understand if the plan was to put it in a 320 grip module then I would have needed to get it serialized, probably best before even finishing it, apply for amendment, etc. but if it's assembled into a rifle, does the fact that it is compatible with a pistol grip make it a pistol frame?

If I skip making a cut so that it wouldn't be compatible with a P320 would it be any different?

I was thinking it would work more like an AR pistol/rifle build, as I understand it, if you assemble it into a pistol first, then it's a pistol receiver forever in NY, and if you assemble it as a featureless rifle, then it's a rifle, except you can't turn it into a pistol without making it an NFA.