Shipping a rifle for repair? Legality?
Close

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Saltwater60
  • 1 Post By Les
  • 1 Post By chuck

Thread: Shipping a rifle for repair? Legality?

Private

Default Shipping a rifle for repair? Legality?

Hi all,

If I am sending a rifle to an out of state manufacturer for repair and I live in Orange County, may I legally:

a. Ship the rifle directly from my apartment to the manufacturer?

b. Receive the rifle directly to my apartment from the manufacturer after repair?

without going through an FFL, or do I need one?

I understand Federal law allows this, but are there any restrictions NY has in place?

This is obviously assuming a NY legal rifle that has already been transferred to myself for ownership.

Thanks!

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Corporal

You can UPS a rifle to anyplace you want. Having it come back to you must take place at an FFL..

Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Vicarious View Post
    You can UPS a rifle to anyplace you want. Having it come back to you must take place at an FFL..
    If it’s to the manufacturer and back for repair your fine to do it without an FFL. I shipped a pistol to Ruger for repair and they returned it with fed ex no FFL needed. Call the manufacturer and see what they say. They won’t break the law.
    OwnTheRide likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Les

I've shipped two handguns back to the manufacturers without having to go through an FFL. A co-shooter shipped one to Smith last winter without the need to go through an FFL. The hardest part is convincing the idiots at the UPS depot that it is perfectly legal to do this. I ended up calling the UPS 800 number, explaining what I wanted to do, and they sent a truck right to my house to pick up the package.
    OwnTheRide likes this.
    NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer - SAF Member
    ==="Safety is something that happens between your ears, not in your hands" - Col. Jeff Cooper ===

Private

Great, thanks everybody.

The ship back to FFL is wrong. I shipped my Encore to Smith and Wesson and came right back to my house via fed ex.
    OwnTheRide likes this.

If you don't know, don't guess. There is plenty of bad info regarding guns out there, don't add to it.
    Anything stated in the above post is my personal opinion and should not be construed as legal advice.

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by OwnTheRide View Post
    If you don't know, don't guess. There is plenty of bad info regarding guns out there, don't add to it.
    Remington refused to ship my shotgun to me, had to go to my FFL.

However, heres the Code.

This exception is also mentioned in the Code of Federal Regulations 478.124(a) which states in part:
    a firearms transaction record, Form 4473, shall not be required to record the disposition made of a firearm delivered to a licensee for the sole purpose of repair or customizing when such firearm or a replacement firearm is returned to the person from whom received.

Perhaps Remington was just being a nuisance.
    Last edited by Vicarious; 08-14-2020 at 04:23 PM.

Remington refused to ship my shotgun to me, had to go to my FFL.

However, heres the Code.

This exception is also mentioned in the Code of Federal Regulations 478.124(a) which states in part:
    a firearms transaction record, Form 4473, shall not be required to record the disposition made of a firearm delivered to a licensee for the sole purpose of repair or customizing when such firearm or a replacement firearm is returned to the person from whom received.

Perhaps Remington was just being a nuisance.
    Fair enough, yes, sometimes manufacturers can be a pain like that.

Something to note, however, about the text you posted: it refers to a replacement firearm not needing a 4473. Please note that is a federal regulation exemption. State regulation may still require a 4473/BGC/FFL xfer... I'm not sure. Certainly, in the case of a pistol, it would need to get on your permit, and there are only a handful of NY-legitimate ways to do that.
    Anything stated in the above post is my personal opinion and should not be construed as legal advice.