New 30 day NICS check and FBI UPIN questions
Close

Private

Default New 30 day NICS check and FBI UPIN questions

I have my pistol permit in Erie County, NY. However, every time I purchase a firearm I am delayed by NICS. Due to some "federal connections", I was able to find out that my name is shared with a convicted felon, hence the delay. As a result, I have an FBI UPIN which seems to expedite the check. However, if I do not receive an immediate proceed, do I need to wait thirty days and the new NYS cyclical process? Typically, the FBI responds within three days, what if they respond with a proceed within four days, may the NYS gun dealer/FFL release the firearm?

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Sergeant

The firearm may be delivered to you when the proceed result comes back, unless it reached 30 days of course, in which case the NICS will expire and you will need to be submitted again.

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by NYS2a View Post
    I have my pistol permit in Erie County, NY. However, every time I purchase a firearm I am delayed by NICS. Due to some "federal connections", I was able to find out that my name is shared with a convicted felon, hence the delay. As a result, I have an FBI UPIN which seems to expedite the check. However, if I do not receive an immediate proceed, do I need to wait thirty days and the new NYS cyclical process? Typically, the FBI responds within three days, what if they respond with a proceed within four days, may the NYS gun dealer/FFL release the firearm?
    I get delayed (further reviewed) nearly every time, it is incredibly annoying. I'd like to actually find out why myself if thats even possible.

Colonel

I’ve never had to wait more than 5-10 minutes for my background check to come back. Then again I have a unique name and provide my SS# every time.