Ownership transfer question
Close

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Les
  • 1 Post By kisangani
  • 2 Post By Vicarious

Thread: Ownership transfer question

Default Ownership transfer question

When I lived in NYC (Brooklyn) I had to register my rifles with the local Police Precinct. I now live in Mahopac in Putnam County and I would like to give my rifles' to my nephew, do I have to go to a local gun store and transfer ownership ?

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit320 View Post
    When I lived in NYC (Brooklyn) I had to register my rifles with the local Police Precinct. I now live in Mahopac in Putnam County and I would like to give my rifles' to my nephew, do I have to go to a local gun store and transfer ownership ?
    Does your nephew live in NYC? If not, I don't THINK you need to fill out any paperwork for long guns but it is possible they changed the rules on that in recent years. I know that at least several years ago, family member transfers were exempted from background checks, etc. You certainly don't need to register them once you are outside of NYC either way but maybe someone else can chime in.

Also do any of those rifles fall under NY's "assault" designation. If so that would be really interesting to see if a registered "assault rifle" purchased before the SAFE act can be transferred to someone else.
    Last edited by kisangani; 01-20-2021 at 09:14 PM.

Les

A nephew doesn't meet the exemption to transfer under the SafeAct rules. Legally, you would need to go through an FFL. Here is the exemption info from the state page.

"Q: What family members are exempt from the private sale/transfer provision?

A: Sales or transfers to and between spouses, domestic partners, children and step-children, are exempt from the private sale/transfer provision."
    Saltwater60 and Vicarious like this.
    NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer - SAF Member
    ==="Safety is something that happens between your ears, not in your hands" - Col. Jeff Cooper ===

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    A nephew doesn't meet the exemption to transfer under the SafeAct rules. Legally, you would need to go through an FFL. Here is the exemption info from the state page.

A: Sales or transfers to and between spouses, domestic partners, children and step-children, are exempt from the private sale/transfer provision."
    This is the only correct answer.

Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post

Correct refer to the safe act and this is what you will find in NYS. If they are registered in NYC it’s not likely any are assault riffles but refer to the safe act to be sure. Assault riffles can not be legally trans offered in NYS anymore.

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by Saltwater60 View Post
    Correct refer to the safe act and this is what you will find in NYS. If they are registered in NYC itís not likely any are assault riffles but refer to the safe act to be sure. Assault riffles can not be legally trans offered in NYS anymore.
    Really? So once you register an "assault rifle" in NY you are stuck with it for life and can never trade/sell it?
    Saltwater60 likes this.

Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by kisangani View Post
    Really? So once you register an "assault rifle" in NY you are stuck with it for life and can never trade/sell it?
    At least you can’t in NYS. I think it’s fuzzy if you can transfer it outside of NYS but most assume you can.

Ive never called the state police and asked but there are no avenues for a beer owner to register it. Could you make it compliant and transfer it possibly but good luck getting an answer from the state police.

Corporal

You could sell it out of state, but yes, if you have one registered, its yours, no transfers..
    Saltwater60 and smitty846 like this.