FFL Transfer of Complete Lower
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By casz

Thread: FFL Transfer of Complete Lower

Private

Default FFL Transfer of Complete Lower

I've asked this in another forum and have gotten mixed answers. Ironically, mixed answers came from FFL's.

If I were to purchase a completed AR lower, with a pistol grip and adjustable stock, have it shipped to a local FFL, can the FFL legally transfer me the lower as-is, or would "compliant" (fixed mag or featureless) modifications need to be done?

My hang up on believing it should be legal is because of the simple fact that a lower does not determine the action. If I were to build/purchase a bolt action upper, it would be completely legal to have those features with a detachable mag.

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Captain

Quote Originally Posted by casz View Post
    I've asked this in another forum and have gotten mixed answers. Ironically, mixed answers came from FFL's.

If I were to purchase a completed AR lower, with a pistol grip and adjustable stock, have it shipped to a local FFL, can the FFL legally transfer me the lower as-is, or would "compliant" (fixed mag or featureless) modifications need to be done?

My hang up on believing it should be legal is because of the simple fact that a lower does not determine the action. If I were to build/purchase a bolt action upper, it would be completely legal to have those features with a detachable mag.
    While your take is correct, you are subject to the FFL's own policies. Very few will be willing to do it. They are going to cover their ass.

Private

Completely understandable. Their ass is more important than mine when it comes to that.

I figured it would be more of a procedural thing, hence the multiple answers I received from another form. I just wanted to make sure that if I asked someone to do that, that I wasn't overstepping any legal boundaries.
    Saltwater60 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Colonel

Perfectly legal. Also very easy to build one out yourself.

Private

I have a couple that I have built. For the price of the complete that I found, I couldn't beat it between pricing and time to build it.

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Saltwater60 View Post
    Perfectly legal. Also very easy to build one out yourself.
    There are lots of things that are legal. Getting the FFL to do it is another thing altogether. I bought a firearm and the FFL would not release the slide to me so I could get sights installed before I had it on my permit. Now legally, the only thing I can't have is the frame because that is the "firearm", but they would not release the slide anyhow. Any FFL is gong to play it ultra safe and not allow him to do what he's trying to do. Might he get lucky somewhere? Sure, but he also may win the Powerball drawing too.

Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by smitty846 View Post
    There are lots of things that are legal. Getting the FFL to do it is another thing altogether. I bought a firearm and the FFL would not release the slide to me so I could get sights installed before I had it on my permit. Now legally, the only thing I can't have is the frame because that is the "firearm", but they would not release the slide anyhow. Any FFL is gong to play it ultra safe and not allow him to do what he's trying to do. Might he get lucky somewhere? Sure, but he also may win the Powerball drawing too.
    There are plenty of places that will transfer complete lowers. No different than transferring complete fun. I can swap out any parts easily on a featureless AR-15 to make it noncompliant and I can swap out a simple fixed mag button easily to do the same. These FFL’s are just afraid.

I agree it maybe difficult and some may not do it but there are plenty that will. As for your guy not releasing tw slode that’s just absurd because a felon can buy a gun slide off the web and it’s completely legal for them to do so. The new AG has people scared to death and of people give into more than the law we’re losing more and more daily.

Too bad the OP is local lr I’d walk him through building anything legal and not just scared FFL approved.