Carrying Long Guns passing through NYC
Close

Private

Default Carrying Long Guns passing through NYC

Hi everybody. I'm new to the gun world. I just bought a Beretta 390 for sporting clays. I live in Nassau County, Long Island. I know I can put rifles and shotguns in the trunk provided that the guns are not loaded.

I've been searching for 2 days for the law in NYC but couldn't find any solid material telling me if I could carry LONG GUNS in a car passing through NYC. All information is about pistols.

Since I live at the edge of Nassau County, everytime I return from the range I have to use local express way to go home 'cos I'm not sure if I could carry a shotgun passing through NYC. It would be much faster for me to take Southern State Parkway, then Belt Parkway to go home. But I would be in Queens County if I'm on Belt Parkway.

And I may go hunting upstate in the future. Passing through NYC is the only way to get a gun from Long Island to upstate NY. (Or maybe I can throw the gun in an aircraft and fly it myself if I'm rich enough LOL. I'm not sure local airports allow a pilot to carry a gun in the aircraft.)

Can anybody tell me the NYC law? Can I carry a rifle or shotgun passing through NYC without a license? Can anybody provide a link or phone number so I can make it 100% sure? Thanks!!!!

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Corporal

As long as the weapon is locked in a non-transparent case, in the trunk, separate from the ammunition. If you do not have a trunk it is essential that the ammo is kept in a separate. The trip must also be non-stop with an exception for refueling.

Have you called the state police to ask yet?

I'm 'fairly' certain you can travel through without stopping and be OK.
    But, I'm not a laywer, LEO or even nearby resident, so take that with a large grain of salt.

There I go, typing slow...
    If there's no such thing as trolls, how do you explain all the dead unicorns?

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Private

Thank you both for clearing my confusion!! I really appreciate that.

Since I travel with just a soft case, I'll need to buy a hard case and lockpad then.

Corporal

I don't think you're required to have a hard locked case, as long as it isn't transparent and you have a lock on the weapon itself, but hey. Whatever makes it inaccessible will surely help your case should anything go awry.

Bob

New York City profibits you from possessing any firearm unless you have a license. However, if you are only travelling THROUGH the city, you are supposed to be covered by the federal Firearms Owners Protection Act (FOPA). This states, in sum and substance, that if the firearm is legally possessed where you begin your journey and is jegally possessed when you reach your destination, you may travel with it. It must be unloaded and inaccessible by the driver and all passengers. Best practice it to lock it up (case, cable lock through action) and lock up any ammunition seperately.

One must be cautioned that NYC has decided on a number of occasions to violate this provision of law and arrest for legal possession of firearms.

Google "FOPA Safe Passage" and then add in "NYC" to decide for yourself what risks you wish to assume.
    A golf course is a deliberate and willful misuse of a perfectly good rifle range. - Lt. Col. David Grossman

Private

Thanks for the insight.

If I drive upstate, I'll be using Cross Island Parkway, then Throngs Neck Bridge, then another 20 minutes or so on interstate 95 & 684 and I'm in Westchester County.

If I drive home from shooting range in Suffolk, I'm only in Queens for about 2 minutes on highway then I'm back in Nassau. I won't be hanging around in local neighborhoods with a gun in the car.

Of course I'll use a gun case with a padlock. The NYC anti-gun mentality is killing us. I agree that NYPD is disrespectful to all legal gun owners. It's alright to have some kind of gun control while NYC was notorious of gun crimes in the 80s and 90s. They just cross the line too much.

Corporal

Non-residents can travel through the city with long guns (even semi-evil AWB compliant weapons that are prohibited in the city) if they are in a locked container and the person stays no longer than 24 hours. There's a link here to the Administrative Code. It's in section 10-305.

http://www.nysrpa.org/files/nyc-admincode.pdf

It reads:

i. (1) Non-residents in transit. Any other provision of this chapter to the contrary notwithstanding, a non-resident of the city of New York who, without a rifle and shotgun permit issued hereunder, enters the city of New York possessing a rifle or shotgun in the course of transit to a destination outside the city of New York, or a non-resident of the city of New York who enters the city of New York possessing an assault weapon in the course of transit to a destination outside the city of New York, shall have a period of twenty-four hours subsequent to such entering to be exempt from penalty under this chapter for the unlawful possession of a rifle, shotgun or assault weapon, provided that such rifle, shotgun or assault weapon shall at all times be unloaded and in a locked case, or locked automobile trunk, and that said non-resident is lawfully in possession of said rifle, shotgun or assault weapon according to the laws of his or her place of residence.

Postmaster General Darthgamer138's Avatar

Keep in mind: NYC makes up it's own rules almost on the spot. If at ALL possible I'd avoid it.
    Proud NRA ​LIFETIME Non-​Member. Don't just support PART of the constitution. Be Skeptical.

​SEI Divemaster Apprentice/Nitrox Diver. Dives- ​I57. Proud Atheist.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by macnorfin View Post
    Non-residents can travel through the city with long guns (even semi-evil AWB compliant weapons that are prohibited in the city) if they are in a locked container and the person stays no longer than 24 hours. There's a link here to the Administrative Code. It's in section 10-305.

http://www.nysrpa.org/files/nyc-admincode.pdf

It reads:

i. (1) Non-residents in transit. Any other provision of this chapter to the contrary notwithstanding, a non-resident of the city of New York who, without a rifle and shotgun permit issued hereunder, enters the city of New York possessing a rifle or shotgun in the course of transit to a destination outside the city of New York, or a non-resident of the city of New York who enters the city of New York possessing an assault weapon in the course of transit to a destination outside the city of New York, shall have a period of twenty-four hours subsequent to such entering to be exempt from penalty under this chapter for the unlawful possession of a rifle, shotgun or assault weapon, provided that such rifle, shotgun or assault weapon shall at all times be unloaded and in a locked case, or locked automobile trunk, and that said non-resident is lawfully in possession of said rifle, shotgun or assault weapon according to the laws of his or her place of residence.
    This is very useful to me. Thank you!!

Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Louie View Post
    Thanks for the insight.

If I drive upstate, I'll be using Cross Island Parkway, then Throngs Neck Bridge, then another 20 minutes or so on interstate 95 & 684 and I'm in Westchester County.

If I drive home from shooting range in Suffolk, I'm only in Queens for about 2 minutes on highway then I'm back in Nassau. I won't be hanging around in local neighborhoods with a gun in the car.

Of course I'll use a gun case with a padlock. The NYC anti-gun mentality is killing us. I agree that NYPD is disrespectful to all legal gun owners. It's alright to have some kind of gun control while NYC was notorious of gun crimes in the 80s and 90s. They just cross the line too much.
    Lou,

I live in Floral Park, and deal with the same situation. There is literally no way for me to travel to and from my house without passing into Queens for some portion of the trip, even if I stick to Jericho Turnpike - the north side of the avenue is in NYC. I take the same route as you, the Cross Island Parkway, which will also put you into NYC for certain portions. When I travel upstate to go hunting, I take the Cross Island to the Throggs Neck Bridge, and then take 95 straight up to Westchester. It's the quickest, most efficient route. I also don't fill the car up with camo outfits and coolers. I don't need to deal with some jerkoff super cop deciding that he's going to pinch me based on my looks. Keep everything in the trunk and wear a collared shirt when driving.

As to your comment about NYC's gun control, I have to respectfully disagree. They do not just cross the line too much. The laws are based on hysterical, irrational fear mongering by manipulative politicians to an ignorant and victimized public. They do nothing to stop crime and force regular citizens who would never break the law to jump through hoops in order to try to respect the law. It is not understandable and with any luck, these laws will be struck down by the court system as time goes on, because no politician in this state will ever have the balls to do anything about it.

Keith

Private

Quote Originally Posted by CrackSlinger View Post
    Lou,

I live in Floral Park, and deal with the same situation. There is literally no way for me to travel to and from my house without passing into Queens for some portion of the trip, even if I stick to Jericho Turnpike - the north side of the avenue is in NYC. I take the same route as you, the Cross Island Parkway, which will also put you into NYC for certain portions. When I travel upstate to go hunting, I take the Cross Island to the Throggs Neck Bridge, and then take 95 straight up to Westchester. It's the quickest, most efficient route. I also don't fill the car up with camo outfits and coolers. I don't need to deal with some jerkoff super cop deciding that he's going to pinch me based on my looks. Keep everything in the trunk and wear a collared shirt when driving.

As to your comment about NYC's gun control, I have to respectfully disagree. They do not just cross the line too much. The laws are based on hysterical, irrational fear mongering by manipulative politicians to an ignorant and victimized public. They do nothing to stop crime and force regular citizens who would never break the law to jump through hoops in order to try to respect the law. It is not understandable and with any luck, these laws will be struck down by the court system as time goes on, because no politician in this state will ever have the balls to do anything about it.

Keith
    Same here. I live in Valley Stream. If I take Sunrise Highway or Merrick Road, I'll be passing Queens for a very small portion. So I cut into local in between to avoid passing through the city. Now I know I can pass through with the gun locked in a case that saves me some time.

Oh yeah, I would not put on camouflage when I drive through the city to upstate for hunting. And yeah, there're some jerkoff super cops always love to pick on people by their looks like school bully.