Grandfather to grandson transfer of revolver; FFL needed or no?
Close

Default Grandfather to grandson transfer of revolver; FFL needed or no?

Grandfather to grandson transfer of revolver; would that have to go through an FFL?

Yes, both have pistol permits...

Thanks

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

I believe so , due to safe act . I don't remember any acceptions for family . best to verify through permit office.

Private

There is a provision for family its under the faq on the ny safe website under gun owner I believe.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by chriskringle View Post
    There is a provision for family its under the faq on the ny safe website under gun owner I believe.
    "A: Sales or transfers to and between spouses, domestic partners, children and step-children, are exempt from the private sale/transfer provision." I don't see 'grandchildren' in there although if you transfer it to the father first I guess that would work. Course, the pistol permit office that is going to have to amend the license will have to be happy with whatever happens...

Captain

**** cuomo

Just go put it on the grand sons permit, it's not a sale for Christ sake.

The artist formerly known as jhm8071 NirvanaFan's Avatar
    Popped a smoke bomb and peaced out of here

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    **** cuomo

It is a transfer though. To be compliant with the law, you would have to go through an FFL.
    "The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution." - Thomas Jefferson

I just spoke with my pistol permit clerk in Herkimer County, and because it is a grandson you would have to use a FFL to do the transfer. Your best bet would be to call your permit clerk and ask.
    NY CCW unrestricted
    Keep your powder dry and warm Thru the coming darkest storms
    NRA Life Member
    “Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading,” — Thomas Jefferson

Every county has different rules. I'm pretty sure every time I have an amendment made in Erie County they call NICS on me at the permit office. You both may have to sign a transfer letter, might be a good idea if you can both go to the office together.
    ======================================
    SCOPE/NRA/
    NRA Instructor/RSO
    Support your local FFL
    Save the environment, recycle; learn to reload.
    Certified Desk Pilot; multi engine rating.

Quote Originally Posted by de17walt View Post
    I just spoke with my pistol permit clerk in Herkimer County, and because it is a grandson you would have to use a FFL to do the transfer. Your best bet would be to call your permit clerk and ask.

PPAAAAAALLLLLLEEEEAAAAASSSSSSEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!! If someone needed a background check, they wouldn't have a pistol permit in their possession, would they? I'm just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by ImpeachObama View Post
    PPAAAAAALLLLLLEEEEAAAAASSSSSSEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!! If someone needed a background check, they wouldn't have a pistol permit in their possession, would they? I'm just saying.
    I only posted what the clerk had said. If you have a problem with the way a transfer between a grandson and grandfather should be handled call the govenor and tell him how screwed up his safe act is.
    NY CCW unrestricted
    Keep your powder dry and warm Thru the coming darkest storms
    NRA Life Member
    “Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading,” — Thomas Jefferson

grandfather to father, father to son

2 transfers, no NICS check required

hopefully your old man has a permit

Quote Originally Posted by ImpeachObama View Post
    One would like to believe so , BUT in counties with lifetime licenses & backlogged permit offices , it is possible to to slip through the cracks. This is the very reason the BATF stopped accepting NY pistol permits as an alternative to BGCs a few years back. Due to not being able to know how long ago a BGC was done. See BATF Open Letter to NY May, 2006 .
    Last edited by OnyxDragun; 04-23-2013 at 01:30 PM.

Thanks for the replies.

Someone reccomended checking with my county clerk so I checked Monroe county's website and found this:

"* Please note that you must be updated with a background Brady check prior to the addition of any firearm from an individual. This check must be completed once every 5 years and there is no cost to the permit holder. Please stop into our office with your pistol permit to complete the paperwork. You will receive the completed Brady check in the mail in approximately 2 to 4 weeks and this is to be kept for your own personal records. Once you receive this paperwork, you will be allowed to add firearms from an individual."

What a pain in the ass.

ETA WTF is a Brady check?
    Last edited by Nozzelnut; 04-23-2013 at 04:06 PM.

Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Nozzelnut View Post
    "* Please note that you must be updated with a background Brady check prior to the addition of any firearm from an individual. This check must be completed once every 5 years and there is no cost to the permit holder. Please stop into our office with your pistol permit to complete the paperwork. You will receive the completed Brady check in the mail in approximately 2 to 4 weeks and this is to be kept for your own personal records. Once you receive this paperwork, you will be allowed to add firearms from an individual."

What a pain in the ass.

ETA WTF is a Brady check?
    So... even if you go through an FFL you have to get another NICS check....?!?

The problem with going from grandfather->father->grandson is that you'll be waiting twice the time for the paperwork to clear. If it weren't so clogged up right now I'd say do it and save the ffl fee, but it's probably best just to transfer it once using a dealer the way things are going.

The artist formerly known as jhm8071 NirvanaFan's Avatar
    Popped a smoke bomb and peaced out of here

Brady check is the NICS check. There is no need to get a NICS check at the county clerk anymore. They FFL can/will do it whenever you buy a firearm.

There really isn't any waiting for paperwork for pistol transfers in Monroe County. It takes like 3 minutes at the clerk. We don't have to wait for the judge's approval.

I suggest going through a FFL. Call around and find one that will do it for you, and do it the "right" way.
    "The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution." - Thomas Jefferson

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    **** cuomo

I just recently added a pistol to my permit. When I bought it,the FFL ran the NICS and then I went to add it to my permit in Erie County. I took my wife's permit along, as I would like to add it to hers. They added it to both permits without any issues. (I.e co-ownership). not sure of Monroe county, but I think you could both go to the office and just add it to the grandson's permit as a co-owned firearm and leave it on Grand-Dad's permit too.

MAYBE !
    NRA Patron Life Member
    S.C.O.P.E.

Quote Originally Posted by VARMINT223 View Post
    Every county has different rules. I'm pretty sure every time I have an amendment made in Erie County they call NICS on me at the permit office. You both may have to sign a transfer letter, might be a good idea if you can both go to the office together.
    But do you have to pay?