Scalia on upcoming 2A cases
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Scalia on upcoming 2A cases

Speaking at a Federalist Society event in Montana last week, here's what Justice Scalia had to say.

Scalia answered some questions written by the audience, including a hot-button issue in Montana: the Second Amendment's right to keep and bear arms.
    "What remains to be determined ... appears to be the scope of the armament that people can keep and bear," he said. "Can they bear shoulder-fired rocket launchers?"
    He said the court will have to take those cases as they come, but his approach will be to apply the historical understanding of the Second Amendment, which was not just in self-defense against animals and home intruders, but for the people to protect themselves against a tyrannical leader.

Correction: Scalia-Montana story | Star Tribune

Very encouraging.

New York arbitrarily bans certain semi-automatic rifles, Scalia wonders whether "arms" includes rocket launchers.

FU Cuomo says the 2A is all about hunting, Scalia stresses that we have the RKBA for protection against tyranny.

I don't think these "AWBs" have much chance of surviving at the SCOTUS level. Let's hope the lawsuits make it up their quickly.

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

that is encouraging... not sure why they refused to hear the kachalsky case though.
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace"
    All statements and opinions made here are for discussion purposes only, and not meant to promote any illegal behavior or activity.

Scalia: Court shouldn't 'invent new minorities'
    Inventing minorities seems to be the modus operandi of the Democratic Party. Divide and conquor. If a minority grows and gains power, divide so they can not continue to grow. However the RKBA is a fundamental concept. At the moment it's a focal galvanizing point that's pulling people together. Poor Andy.
    ======================================
    SCOPE/NRA/
    NRA Instructor/RSO
    Support your local FFL
    Save the environment, recycle; learn to reload.
    Certified Desk Pilot; multi engine rating.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

I hate that they use rocket launchers in any argument on any side. C'mon maaaaan.

Why should the courts even judge our Constitutional Rights as if they are wrongly written? Kind of an insult a slap in the face, an attack now that I think about it. They have no faith in the Constitution that they have SWORN to uphold? Seems they should all step down for this act because they FAILED. They should have never graduated out of college or passed the bar, if they are slapping us in the face and attacking the Constitution. Lets put it this way...a licensed electrician with his Contractors License passed his test many years ago, only to say he will not follow the codes. Claiming how electricity is magic from the gods and it should have no codes governing it, then goes on saying the flow of electricity, which we all know, is wrong. The Constitution is plain as it can be (especially the 2nd Amendment) just only people who wish to interpret it for other meanings, I mean their meanings, are the danger the threat the traitors to America. If this is the case then we should not have computers, satellites, t.v., even the way newspapers are printed etc all should be banned. Principal being they do not fit in or even dreamed of back when the Bill of Rights and the Constitution was drafted for our Freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by thecelt View Post
    that is encouraging... not sure why they refused to hear the kachalsky case though.
    There are a few possible explanations, such as the lack of a split between the district and circuit court levels (which we have in Woollard) and waiting for the outcome of Moore. We'll see what happens with the Woollard petition as far as CCW is concerned.

Unfortunately he's not the one to worry about.
    Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by Camper4lyfe View Post
    I hate that they use rocket launchers in any argument on any side. C'mon maaaaan.
    at least he didnt say "that shoulder thing that goes up"
    All statements and opinions made here are for discussion purposes only, and not meant to promote any illegal behavior or activity.

at least he didnt say "that shoulder thing that goes up"
    I suppose there's always a silver lining.

Captain

If we look at arms historically then 2A protects machineguns, rocket launchers, and battleships.

Half of the machineguns used by Teddy's assault of San Juan Hill were privately owned.

Many of the cannon employed during the War of Northern Agression were privately owned.

Privateers were historically employed by the US Government in times of strife and war. Privateer vessels are the historical equivilent of battleshops.

Quote Originally Posted by .357MagNYC View Post
    Speaking at a Federalist Society event in Montana last week, here's what Justice Scalia had to say.

Scalia answered some questions written by the audience, including a hot-button issue in Montana: the Second Amendment's right to keep and bear arms.
    "What remains to be determined ... appears to be the scope of the armament that people can keep and bear," he said. "Can they bear shoulder-fired rocket launchers?"
    He said the court will have to take those cases as they come, but his approach will be to apply the historical understanding of the Second Amendment, which was not just in self-defense against animals and home intruders, but for the people to protect themselves against a tyrannical leader.

Correction: Scalia-Montana story | Star Tribune

Very encouraging.

New York arbitrarily bans certain semi-automatic rifles, Scalia wonders whether "arms" includes rocket launchers.

FU Cuomo says the 2A is all about hunting, Scalia stresses that we have the RKBA for protection against tyranny.

I don't think these "AWBs" have much chance of surviving at the SCOTUS level. Let's hope the lawsuits make it up their quickly.
    Obamacare? They changed it to a tax so do not hold your breath.

Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    It was intended to be a Tax, the same as Social Security /...

why do you think the IRS was put in charge of it from the start ..??

Quote Originally Posted by FN FAL View Post
    If we look at arms historically then 2A protects machineguns, rocket launchers, and battleships.

Half of the machineguns used by Teddy's assault of San Juan Hill were privately owned.

Many of the cannon employed during the War of Northern Agression were privately owned.

Privateers were historically employed by the US Government in times of strife and war. Privateer vessels are the historical equivilent of battleshops.
    Interesting points. I didn't know this.

Anyway, nobody needs 10 rockets to bring down a plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Embree Smith View Post
    It was intended to be a Tax, the same as Social Security /...

why do you think the IRS was put in charge of it from the start ..??

just wait for the new firearms taxes, and ammo taxes... they will make it unaffordable to shoot, or even own firearms for us serfs.

just wait for the new firearms taxes, and ammo taxes... they will make it unaffordable to shoot, or even own firearms for us serfs.
    Poll taxes were struck down on the argument that the gov't can't tax a Constitutional right. (I think).

Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    Obamacare has absolutely nothing to do with anything gun-related. Justice Roberts is still firmly on our side.

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Aquadoc View Post
    Poll taxes were struck down on the argument that the gov't can't tax a Constitutional right. (I think).

Can somebody say "class 3"?

dumbama care has everything to do with the guns! The IRS in concert with other regulatory agencies WILL have the power to declare them a public health hazard, or enact so many hundreds of penny-anti regulations for gun and ammo that you'll have to call the EPA (by regulation) to have them removed from your premises. People don't get it. Its not about health care! If we still have a supreme court that will honor the constitution, they wont be able to handle the multitude of second amendment cases. Just like the safe act, regulate first, sort out the constitutionality later, meanwhile their boot is on our neck! Wake up!
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by waldershrek View Post
    Unfortunately he's not the one to worry about.
    Lets hope he doesn't drop dead in the near future. If he does, someone get the sunglasses so we can pull a "Weekend at Bernie's!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cityhunter346 View Post
    Lets hope he doesn't drop dead in the near future. If he does, someone get the sunglasses so we can pull a "Weekend at Bernie's!"
    Kennedy is 80 years old.

We have to hope he makes it through this administration.

And if Hilliary or another progressive lib (fill in our own expletive) gets into office, then we have a problem.

Custer

That's why its important to take back the Senate next year. We are stuck with what we got, but I will donate out of state.
    Robin

Major

This is encouraging. I just wish these judges were a little younger. We really need a level headed person to pick the next ones.

Thats no Obama. Or Hillary. Its not alot of republicans either.
    Revenue from this site's ads are used to fight AGAINST our rights. Vertical Scope is owned by Torstar, and anti gun newspaper company from Canada. Don't support the Anti's agenda. Leave this site. I did.

The entire political system has been corrupted. God help us if Obummer gets another judge into the SCOTUS. The 2A is cut and dry... but some liberal ****ing douche can rule that he "interprets" it to only mean slingshots and then we're all screwed. This country is going to hell in a hand basket.
    * NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE * GOA LIFE * SAF LIFE * NYSRPA * SCOPE LIFE *

Without a doubt NY is the most corrupt state in the country. We live in a cesspool. Unfortunately I think the only way to regain your freedom is to move out of this progressive hell hole. FUAC. FUNY.

Let's hope Scalia stays healthy!

Quote Originally Posted by Camper4lyfe View Post
    I know, we are struggling for a damn handle on a rifle and they go to this extreme.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast