Long distance shooting range options
Close

Default Long distance shooting range options

Hello guys, relatively new member here, Recently interested in long range shooting but I've noticed the obvious fact that upstate NY doesn't have many true long distance ranges, especially beyond 600 yds. I guess ranges that distance are rare anywhere, but at least in the Mid-West it seems people can just go out on public land and find places to shoot. Are there any similar possibilities in NY or even northern PA or western VT? Thanks for the help.

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

Beyond 600? Hmmmm, I think the one in Colonie is 1000, but I'm not sure. I know there's a waiting list to get in to that club. Canastota is 600. Vernon National is 600 and open to the public, plus they have golf carts so you dont have to trudge up and down 6 football fields...

Part of it is terrain. Midwest has the ability to have ranges that reach out that far. The other part is taxes. Costs a lot more to have that kind of property here in the north east. Good luck with your search and let us know if you find something that works for you.

Major

Quote Originally Posted by timmyp View Post
    I think the one in Colonie is 1000, but I'm not sure.
    Correct. I'm a member there. 1000 yards is limited to a handful of Monday practice sessions, and 4 weekends a year. When the 1000 yard range is open, the adjacent Watervliet club is closed, as are the couple of businesses located on the road.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

My FIL is a member there too. He took me once and the range was closed cause the access road crosses at the 400(?) yard line?

Major

Access road crosses right behind the 600 yard line.

Most ranges around here are 100yds or less. Camillus Sportsmans Club is probably the longest (again, close-by) at 330yds
    “Disconnect and self destruct one bullet at a time
    What's your rush, now? Everyone will have his day to die." -APC

This Too Shall Pass

Major

Camden Club has 200 yrs but only 4 firing stations. I've heard that Canastota has 600 yds.

Central Square has a 300yd range

Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by timmyp View Post
    Beyond 600? Hmmmm, I think the one in Colonie is 1000, but I'm not sure. I know there's a waiting list to get in to that club. Canastota is 600. Vernon National is 600 and open to the public, plus they have golf carts so you dont have to trudge up and down 6 football fields...

Part of it is terrain. Midwest has the ability to have ranges that reach out that far. The other part is taxes. Costs a lot more to have that kind of property here in the north east. Good luck with your search and let us know if you find something that works for you.
    Canastota is 600 yrds,,I have not been there in years & I think it is $125 to join. I have heard 1st hand some of the members there are very moody to say the least,,don't take well to others or play nice,,kinda the Old School guys like it there way,,period & look down on anyone that isn't in there click ! I heard this years ago and heard it again as recently as this last Winter. The guy that's a Member there that I shoot with says,,get in early & get out before the Gang shows up !! Anyways,,,I was just at Vernon National on Tuesday,,very nice place. I was a Guest,,but will be saving up some $$$ so I can become a Member soon ! It is really all about Shotguns and Clay birds,,but the owner is very nice and open minded to all shooting. It is a $100 bucks to join and then $75 bucks a year after that,,there are other fees for certain things,,just decide what you want to do most and pay the extra and be done with it ! My buddy (Member) & I shot at the Long range area,,it is 500 yrds,it is very basic with just mounds of dirt at each distance,,100/200/300/400/500 so if you want targets bring something to hang them on. We had paper and steel @ 100 and then steel at each location out to 500,,,we had a blast,,I had to work so we were only there for about 3 hours. There are a couple benches there to shoot off of. The owner says he is going to build a shed/building to shoot out of,,that will be nice as time goes on,,he said probably this Summer sometime. Here are a couple pics from Tuesday.

Last Pic is looking back towards the firing line,,,we were done and picking up our targets.

saugerties land owners has 435.

Finding long ranges depends on what type of shooting you are interested in? F-Class/NRA Long Range, Benchrest, Steel targets known and unknown distance. We have traveled across the nation perusing precision long range rifle, primarily Steel target shooting but also F-class. Long Gun Training based in Western NY currently has 3 private venue/ranges for steel targets, 425 yards, 650 yards and 1000 yards that we use for running training classes.

For a look at our venue/ranges and what we do check us out on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Long-...94327384032151
    Last edited by Long Gun Training LLC; 05-22-2014 at 07:54 AM.
    There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

www.longguntraining.com http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...pse4eec300.jpg

In NYS is hard to find places to shoot long range specially tactical type of shooting and also involving auto-loaders like the AR.
    If you want to shoot alternating distances to 600,800 and rarely up to 1KM and/or steel targets that involves private property venues.
    Also make sure you have written permission and check on local ordinances.
    Or simply contact professional trainers that is always a good idea to start.

Cleaned up. Keep it on topic.
    NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member - NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer

Quote Originally Posted by M1a_scoutguy View Post
    Canastota is 600 yrds,,I have not been there in years & I think it is $125 to join. I have heard 1st hand some of the members there are very moody to say the least,,don't take well to others or play nice,,kinda the Old School guys like it there way,,period & look down on anyone that isn't in there click ! I heard this years ago and heard it again as recently as this last Winter. The guy that's a Member there that I shoot with says,,get in early & get out before the Gang shows up !! Anyways,,,I was just at Vernon National on Tuesday,,very nice place. I was a Guest,,but will be saving up some $$$ so I can become a Member soon ! It is really all about Shotguns and Clay birds,,but the owner is very nice and open minded to all shooting. It is a $100 bucks to join and then $75 bucks a year after that,,there are other fees for certain things,,just decide what you want to do most and pay the extra and be done with it ! My buddy (Member) & I shot at the Long range area,,it is 500 yrds,it is very basic with just mounds of dirt at each distance,,100/200/300/400/500 so if you want targets bring something to hang them on. We had paper and steel @ 100 and then steel at each location out to 500,,,we had a blast,,I had to work so we were only there for about 3 hours. There are a couple benches there to shoot off of. The owner says he is going to build a shed/building to shoot out of,,that will be nice as time goes on,,he said probably this Summer sometime. Here are a couple pics from Tuesday.

Last Pic is looking back towards the firing line,,,we were done and picking up our targets.
    I shoot there its ok that was then.

100 yards seems to be the standard here in cali

Private

The only two that might be close and long I am aware of is Forbes in Colonie as listed and The Original Pennsylvania 1000 Yard Club in Williamsport PA. The problem with all the long range clubs is availability of shooting positions as there are always more shooters than positions at the line and times actually open for shooting.

Years ago we would take the fam and ride atv's one day at some of the many trails available to ride on in pa and shoot on the other day at the 1000 yd club and make it a great family weekend. Some of the atv trails are so big you can ride the weekend and still not hit the entire trail. We drove 108 miles one day and were not able to see the entire trail. Tons of fun in PA. Not so much in NY go figure.

Private

200 by me but you would have to go up by Albany for the 1000yard range

Canastota Conservation Club has a 600 yd range. I think anything longer than that is private land owners, at least in New York anyways.
    Semper Fi