Choosing Pepper Spray for Every Day Carry
Close

Default Choosing Pepper Spray for Every Day Carry

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

Corporal

I'd just like to ask..why?

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Corporal

I'd just like to ask..why?

And, if i was to cary OC, im carrying a bear canister that will fog the shit out of the place, and not some sily little stream which will require me to futz around with aiming..and such..I want to fog the ass out of anywhere i point it..

Just posted because I thought it was interesting. Maybe a good idea to have a non-lethal carry option. Not sure how I feel about it, myself.

What do you all think about pepper spray? Anyone carry it?

I carry dog spray for work. Never had to use it. Ingridents look like pepper spray and it's legal to take in to Canada too.
    The high school girls I work with get a can of pepper spray when they graduate too.

Corporal

I’ve known of problems with these. I’d suggest before you consider carrying pepper spray that you educate yourself on the restrictions. Misdemeanor charges are listed all over he web for possession across NY. Local county ordinances may not allow legal possession - check with your local NYSP. If allowed the size container, %active ingredient, and if it’s for bear or human are factors. According to the NYS Dept of Health who actually regulates it - it must be purchased in the county where you live. Forget mail order.

Private

I was more interested in getting a pepper ball gun like the Byrna or simular. Also for home defense as well. While I don't have an issue using an actual firearm on a bad guy breaking into my home, I'm more worried about the after effects. NY as we know is a communist state with no Castle Doctrine, and a pro criminal government.

You have a point Freightshaker, that's the kind of thing I've been thinking about.

Like you, Happy Friar, I have carried pepper spray for work, though it was long ago. Back in the 1980s, in Michigan, I worked as a meter reader for a couple of years. We all carried cans of pepper spray in case of aggressive dogs, and it seriously saved my ass a couple of times. I think we got it by mail order. But that was there and then....

And uh-oh, multical, sounds like I really do need to do more research on this. I was in Albany for work last week, stopped in a gun shop while I was there, and picked up a keychain sized (the only one they had there) Sabre brand spray. Had to complete a form as part of the purchase. Wonder if I've made a dumb move. Also, I was thinking of giving that spray to my young adult daughter, who frequently goes hiking alone and I worry for her safety. But if having the spray is going to put her in legal jeopardy then that wouldn't be good either.

Why does everything have to be so freaking complicated!?

Looks to me like there's no issue with my having bought it outside of my home county. But I'm still concerned about where you may be restricted from carrying it. Multical mentioned checking with local NYSP, which sounds like a good idea....