Lets see your bow setups!!!
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Lets see your bow setups!!!

Default Bow Show-Off

I've searched the forum and have not seen any big archery related threads. I realize this is a "firearm" website, but most people I know that enjoy guns, get a kick out of bows as well.

So here we go:

Post up a picture or pictures of your bow, quiver, release, sights, etc. that you have.

Also include information and details on things such as:

Bow Brand
    Draw Weight
    Draw Length
    Sight
    Rest
    Quiver
    Release
    Arrows
    Broadheads
    And what you use your bow for, (hunting, targets, 3D, competition, etc.)

I guess if nobody on here has any interest in the thread, we'll stop it. I'd assume some people on here have some interest, and it could always become a new hobby for some!
    Last edited by Chicken Shoot; 02-01-2013 at 10:27 PM.

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

I just got into archery this year, and picked up a Mathews Mission Riot as a package from a local dealer.

64 pound draw weight
    28 inch draw length
    Beman ICS Hunter Arrows, with custom pink and blue fletchings
    2 Blade Rage Broadheads

I will use my bow for hunting, targets, and 3D starting this winter. So far it has been fun and I've really enjoyed it. I strongly recommend it to anyone who has never tried it before.

IMG_1341.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

BANNED

I love archery hunting,my bow of choice below!To bad I have to give PA my money to use them,if NY only new how much money/new hunters they could create for the market if they allowed them....

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Jetster View Post
    I love archery hunting,my bow of choice below!To bad I have to give PA my money to use them,if NY only new how much money/new hunters they could create for the market if they allowed them....
    They do during shotgun though, don't they?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rhinehart View Post
    They do during shotgun though, don't they?
    Yep but hard enough to get a buck with a gun why go Xbow?

Yep but hard enough to get a buck with a gun why go Xbow?
    I agree 100%! Never know, maybe they will allow them within the next few years. I don't see why they don't. Makes no sense to me

Sergeant

I think NY does?

Bow Brand - Missian Venture
    Draw Weight - 70lbs +
    Draw Length - 29
    Sight - G5 Rock
    Rest - QAD HDX drop away rest
    Quiver - Mathews
    Stabilizer - Fuse Carbon fiber 6.5"
    Release - Don't know right now
    Arrows - Carbon Express Mayhem
    Broadheads - Grim Reapers
    And what you use your bow for, (hunting, targets, 3D, competition, etc.) - Everything :-)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFamous View Post
    Bow Brand - Missian Venture
    Draw Weight - 70lbs +
    Draw Length - 29
    Sight - G5 Rock
    Rest - QAD HDX drop away rest
    Quiver - Mathews
    Stabilizer - Fuse Carbon fiber 6.5"
    Release - Don't know right now
    Arrows - Carbon Express Mayhem
    Broadheads - Grim Reapers
    And what you use your bow for, (hunting, targets, 3D, competition, etc.) - Everything :-)
    That's what I like to see! Someone who follows it perfectly! Looks like a nice bow, how do you like it? I'll post more of my info when I get back home...where I'm from there's a group who runs an indoor 3D center during the winter, so people have a place to shoot. I'm excited to try it this year, a few friends of mine go, and seem to like it.

Looks like a nice spot for hunting!

General

I agree 100%! Never know, maybe they will allow them within the next few years. I don't see why they don't. Makes no sense to me
    They do!! NYS allows crossbows for big game hunting. It doesn't have a dedicated season, but that will probably not happen as they allowed the crossbows in to see how much revenue they could gain from it. The answer ... none. The sale of hunting licenses have gone down, the sale of crossbows has dropped significantly from last year and the feedback from those who use firearms for hunting and those who use bows for hunting is not favorable for the use of crossbows. The only thing that HAS gone up since the legalization of crossbows in NYS is the amount of poaching reports to the DEC and the DEC officers arresting poachers caught in the act.

Now ... onto the most sought after bow made ....

2007 PSE X-Force HF6
    6" brace height
    29" DL
    72# DW
    V3 sights
    QAD Ultra Rest HD Pro drop away rest
    G5 quiver
    VAP arrows 31" with 100gr BloodRunner broadheads

Sighted in .... 1st pin to 50yds, 2nd pin for 65yds, 3rd pin for 75-80yds yds and I just aim a tad higher at 100yds but I will never need more than the 1 pin hunting.
    Last edited by Chicken Shoot; 12-05-2012 at 08:42 PM.
    RIP NYF

I guess we will see what happens with the crossbows...personally I don't mind. They don't shoot much further than a compound bow, do they?

Not so sure about the "most sought after bow made" ...but it is nice! Guess I have to say that shooting a Mathews.

And 50 yards first pin?? Do you hunt in the middl of a field??

General

I guess we will see what happens with the crossbows...personally I don't mind. They don't shoot much further than a compound bow, do they?

Not so sure about the "most sought after bow made" ...but it is nice! Guess I have to say that shooting a Mathews.

And 50 yards first pin?? Do you hunt in the middl of a field??
    I will occasionally hunt the edge of a field. Why so surprised at using one pin from 0-50yds?

Oh and for the record ... I like the Mission bows very much!! You have a really nice bow there!!

My bow may go up for sale soon though. I've got other things I need to get so the HF6 may go bye bye.
    Last edited by Chicken Shoot; 12-05-2012 at 09:06 PM.
    RIP NYF

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Shoot View Post
    I will occasionally hunt the edge of a field. Why so surprised at using one pin from 0-50yds?

Oh and for the record ... I like the Mission bows very much!! You have a really nice bow there!!

My bow may go up for sale soon though. I've got other things I need to get so the HF6 may go bye bye.
    Probably because I'd never get a shot that far. I shot my deer this year at 15 yards.

I was a little skeptical of buying it, because it was a little (more like a lot) more than I intended to pay. But it came as a package, and I wouldn't spend a ton of money on all the accessories. Now, after owning and shooting it quite a bit, I'm happy I invested in it (even though it was still more than I wanted to spend).

And keep it! Unless you have multiple. It's crazy how many people own multiple firearms, but usually only one bow. I've seen people with many bows and just don't get it...but I'm sure they wonder about having multiple firearms. I guess it's because I feel there are less varieties of bows? Guess I'm not too sure..

General

Probably because I'd never get a shot that far. I shot my deer this year at 15 yards.

I was a little skeptical of buying it, because it was a little (more like a lot) more than I intended to pay. But it came as a package, and I wouldn't spend a ton of money on all the accessories. Now, after owning and shooting it quite a bit, I'm happy I invested in it (even though it was still more than I wanted to spend).

And keep it! Unless you have multiple. It's crazy how many people own multiple firearms, but usually only one bow. I've seen people with many bows and just don't get it...but I'm sure they wonder about having multiple firearms. I guess it's because I feel there are less varieties of bows? Guess I'm not too sure..
    I have multiple bows as well.

One for small game
    Diamond Justice 001.jpg

one for fishing (shown without reel on it)
    Oneida Eagle 001.jpg

the X-Force for big game and a couple of recurves for the heck of it.
    postguns likes this.
    RIP NYF

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Shoot View Post
    I have multiple bows as well.

One for small game
    Diamond Justice 001.jpg

one for fishing (shown without reel on it)
    Oneida Eagle 001.jpg

the X-Force for big game and a couple of recurves for the heck of it.
    I get having one for fishing... how is that with a bow?

But whats the difference on the small game bow? just your draw weight? I have blunt tips that I bought for mine, just haven't used them yet.
    postguns likes this.

Private

I recently bought an older bow to learn how to shoot, as I've been interesting in it fer a while. However, I really don't have much knowledge about the bow, and my google-fu seems to be extraordinarily week when it comes to this. Does anyone have any info on this bow?

Sorry, all I currently have is my old screen shot of the craigslist ad. I can take more pictures tomorrow if needed.
    postguns likes this.

General

Scotty .... that bow you should hope that the draw length is right for you. That's an old one. To change the draw length, you will have to locate new cams but to just give it a whirl to see if you like it, that bow will be fine. I started out with an old bow as well and within 2 weeks started looking for a newer bow... then a newer one from that ... then a newer one and well it's safe to say I was hooked on archery immediately. That old Jennings would make a great fishing bow!! It will be loud. It will have some hand shock, but as long as it fits you OK, you'll be fine learning the ins and outs of archery. Good Luck

AS far as my small game bow ... the draw weight is 65#. The difference is that the Diamond is a much slower bow and the pins on the sights are set at 10 20 and 30. It's lighter than the PSE as well. I could use the PSE for small game, but there would be nothing left of the animal unless I turned the draw weight all the way down to 60 or 58 if I could get it to go that low. Even then, I'd have to adjust the sights and stuff and then readjust them and crank the weight back up to what I'm use to with that bow. It's just easier to have one set for one task and one for the other. Bow fishing is a TON of fun and it's challenging as you can't really aim directly at the fish. Takes alittle getting use to, but once you do ... what a blast!!
    RIP NYF

Private

Yeah, I've already fired a couple shots from her and I must say that I do love it. My brother has a much newer bow, but I think I may actually prefer the feel of the older one compaired to that (though, I didn't actually fire any arrows from his.) I dunno why, I just like the weight of it for some reason.

I kinda wanna shoot a recurve, just to see how I'd enjoy that.

I really need to read up on bow fishing, that sounds like a ton of fun - and something I've never really though of haha. Know anygood websites for information reguarding that?

I guess that makes sense...mine seems to be in the middle more, and can be used for both.

Before I bought my bow, I shot my friends Mathews that was about 3 years old. His has a 70% lt off and mine an 80%. May not seem like much, but when you're in a stand waiting for a deer, it's nice not to have to shake anymore than you have to. (same with just targets...practicing holding the bow back). So, I'm not sure the let off on the Jennings, but it's definitely something to consider. Also, make sure you can get the draw weight up high enough. I think 45 pounds is legal? But I'd put it just a little below the highest you can draw. ESPECIALLY when you're muscles are not stretched out and you've ben sitting basically still all day long in a stand.

0828121821.jpg2011 Mathews Z7Xtreme
    28" @ 62 pounds
    QAD Ultra Rest LD
    Black Gold Flashpoint 5 pin sight(only using 3)
    Axion 6" stabilizer
    Mathews T5 detachable quiver
    Beeman ICS Hunter 400 arrows
    Slick Trick Magnum 100gr broadheads.
    Last edited by loworange88; 12-06-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by loworange88 View Post
    2011 Mathews Z7Xtreme
    28" @ 62 pounds
    QAD Ultra Rest LD
    Black Gold Flashpoint 5 pin sight(only using 3)
    Axion 6" stabilizer
    Mathews T5 detachable quiver
    Beeman ICS Hunter 400 arrows
    Slick Trick Magnum 100gr broadheads.
    Nice arrows what fletchings do you have?

Blazers that come with the arrows...but for refletches, I use the NAP quick fletches.

White and green? Or are they customized?

White and green? Or are they customized?

Green and Orange....Naps are all white.

Nice nice. I had blue and pink ones out on mine. They're supposedly easier to spot in the woods. Not sure that's very true, but I found the two arrows I shot in the woods with ease.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast