Westchester County Pistol Permit Process?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Private

Post Westchester County Pistol Permit Process?

I was hoping that anyone who has recently went through the process of obtaining a pistol permit within Westchester county could kindly provide me with some guidance on how to go about the process. I recently purchased my first rifle with assistance from the folks on this forum (Thank you!) and would like to do the same for a pistol for recreational purposes.

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

You have to go to the pistol permit office in white plains, and pick up an application. It will cost you $10, and save the receipt as you have to turn that in with your application to "prove" you paid for it. (they are ridiculous)

Then you should immediately make your appointment, seriously.. the moment you walk out the door you should call on your cell phone and make the appointment to turn in your application as its likely to be anywhere from 6 months to 1 year away.

now you immediately start filling it out, round up 4 references and get them to fill out the required paperwork, and get it notarized.

now, you have to buy a pistol and nicely ask the gun shop to hold it for you while you wait for your ridiculous county to approve your application. all local gun shops will understand this process because they know how westchester works.

take your receipt and make copies of it, as you have to turn that in with your application, and you have to enter your serial #, make and model on the application as well.

next, you have to fill out the target and hunting amendment forms which you can get from them when you pick up your app, or you can download them and print them. you will want to request a FULL CARRY license on your application. DO NOT check the premise permit box on the application, check the FULL CARRY box. but you will fill out the target and hunting restriction forms so that it will be a RESTRICTED/FULL CARRY permit.

on those target/hunting forms, just say you shoot as often as possible (target) and that you will be going hunting this year (hunting).

now, you sit............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...............

and wait.............................................. .................................................. ...........

until your appointment date, then you sit....................... and wait some more.....................

although, if you get your paperwork all filled out quickly you can start calling every week to see if they have any cancellations.

last tip, be sure to use the correct color ink (cant remember if its blue or black) on the application.
    Last edited by thecelt; 08-19-2016 at 09:14 AM.
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace"
    All statements and opinions made here are for discussion purposes only, and not meant to promote any illegal behavior or activity.

Sergeant

You can download the application from the WC Clerk website, use black ink or typed. CALL NOW! make that appointment.
    Chaos isn't a pit, It's a ladder

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Major

Deleted post
    Last edited by CountyCorrectionOfficer; 08-19-2016 at 09:27 AM.

Deleted
    Last edited by thecelt; 08-19-2016 at 09:47 AM.
    All statements and opinions made here are for discussion purposes only, and not meant to promote any illegal behavior or activity.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by thecelt View Post
    You have to go to the pistol permit office in white plains, and pick up an application. It will cost you $10, and save the receipt as you have to turn that in with your application to "prove" you paid for it. (they are ridiculous)

Then you should immediately make your appointment, seriously.. the moment you walk out the door you should call on your cell phone and make the appointment to turn in your application as its likely to be anywhere from 6 months to 1 year away.

now you immediately start filling it out, round up 4 references and get them to fill out the required paperwork, and get it notarized.

now, you have to buy a pistol and nicely ask the gun shop to hold it for you while you wait for your ridiculous county to approve your application. all local gun shops will understand this process because they know how westchester works.

take your receipt and make copies of it, as you have to turn that in with your application, and you have to enter your serial #, make and model on the application as well.

next, you have to fill out the target and hunting amendment forms which you can get from them when you pick up your app, or you can download them and print them. you will want to request a FULL CARRY license on your application. DO NOT check the premise permit box on the application, check the FULL CARRY box. but you will fill out the target and hunting restriction forms so that it will be a RESTRICTED/FULL CARRY permit.

on those target/hunting forms, just say you shoot as often as possible (target) and that you will be going hunting this year (hunting).

now, you sit............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...............

and wait.............................................. .................................................. ...........

until your appointment date, then you sit....................... and wait some more.....................

although, if you get your paperwork all filled out quickly you can start calling every week to see if they have any cancellations.

last tip, be sure to use the correct color ink (cant remember if its blue or black) on the application.
    Thank you for all the information. I guess I better get down there on my vacation and start the process.

No problem.
    Last edited by thecelt; 08-19-2016 at 09:47 AM.

Private

So another question I have is this, what is the meaning of a Full Carry Permit? Does that mean I can carry the pistol with me holstered at all times as long as its visible? Or am I thinking of Open Carry versus Concealed Carry?

Sergeant

Full carry is the "unrestricted" concealed carry permit. No open carry in NY.
    Chaos isn't a pit, It's a ladder

For arguments sake, the license only covers CONCEALED CARRY. And a restricted permit means you can only carry when actively involved in one or your "restricted to" activities.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Full carry is the "unrestricted" concealed carry permit. No open carry in NY.
    Its confusing. But NY offers full carry, business carry and premise permits. A restricted permit is issued under fully carry, but its restricted to specific activities only.

Major

Quote Originally Posted by Jaynatal View Post
    So another question I have is this, what is the meaning of a Full Carry Permit? Does that mean I can carry the pistol with me holstered at all times as long as its visible? Or am I thinking of Open Carry versus Concealed Carry?

Full carry means the pistol license issued to you is UNrestricted. If you are issued a PL by Westchester County; most likely it will be a restricted sportmen PL. This is defined as carrying concealed a handgun for Target, Hunting and fishing purposes. New York State is NOT an "open carry" state; the handgun you carry MUST be concealed at all times when out in public with very few exceptions. Unrestricted pistol licenses permit you to carry concealed a registered handgun on your person at anytime, anywhere in the State of New York with the exception of federal buildings,courthouses, school grounds (colleges, high schools, etc) and New York City.

Major

Read the Westchester County PL manual. That should adequately answer all your inquires as to your rights as a WC pistol licensee.

http://www.westchesterclerk.com/imag...2001082014.pdf
    Last edited by CountyCorrectionOfficer; 08-19-2016 at 09:47 AM.

Thank you for all the information. I guess I better get down there on my vacation and start the process.
    Don't wait. Just call the office TODAY and get an appointment to drop off your application. That appointment will be many months in the future. In that intervening time, you can download your application, complete your application (with references), and complete your basic pistol course. DO NOT wait until you complete your application to call for an appointment. Call now and get the proverbial clock ticking.
    Hey, Liberals....George Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a work of fiction.
    NOT an instruction manual.

Sergeant

Agree with all that was said above except I would suggest applying for the Sportsperson amendment, rather than Target or Hunting. Sportsperson gets you target, hunting (with a hunting license of course), fishing, hiking, camping, and other related activities (that are not spelled out explicitly and subject to interpretation). There is much on this forum on the topic.

Some folks have said that you should do Target/Hunting first and then upgrade to Sportsperson. All I can say is I had never had a NY permit before I applied and I applied directly for the Sportsperson restriction. I wrote truthfully that I frequently engage in target shooting. I also wrote that I frequently go camping, hiking, fishing and off road biking with my family and wanted to be able to protect myself and my family from threatening animals that we might encounter.

I received the Sportsperson permit without issues.

I would advise you to also apply for one of the non resident permits that don't require you to currently have a NY permit such as Florida or Utah. Florida is probably the easiest and it is good for 7 years and has reciprocity in like 29 states.

You will need to have taken and passed the NRA Basic Pistol class or equivalent for both NY and FL.

Good luck.

Colonel

The whole process is fucked up. Had to say it once. That is all.
    That's all folks

There are some judges who will deny you flat out if you request sportsperson first (so ive heard). Best bet is target, then apply for an upgrade to sportsperson after 6 months. Your not gaining much between them, as its still restricted, just a few extra excuses to carry.

Major

There are some judges who will deny you flat out if you request sportsperson first (so ive heard). Best bet is target, then apply for an upgrade to sportsperson after 6 months. Your not gaining much between them, as its still restricted, just a few extra excuses to carry.

I don't understand the logic used by some of these Westchester County Judges who act as licensing officers. In Ulster County; it's a minimum license grant of Target/hunting/camping/fishing/hiking . Of course, this is a restricted sportmen PL but the opportunity is present to upgrade to unrestricted full carry.

Ive tried twice to have restrictions removed. No criminal record, nra certified handgun instructor and rso along with several other certificates from training classes. I was told i dont demonstrate any "need greater than the average citizen". They just dont like armed citizens.

Major

Ive tried twice to have restrictions removed. No criminal record, nra certified handgun instructor and rso along with several other certificates from training classes. I was told i dont demonstrate any "need greater than the average citizen". They just dont like armed citizens.

TheCelt, I sympathize with you. I wish there was a better venue to do pistol licensing in New York State. I have attempted to propose a better way to process pistol licenses and amendments to Westchester authorities but my recommendations were not acted on. It seems to me that many of the Westchester County Judges-licensing officers will not relinquish control over the process even thought my recommendations would save them time and effort in licensing matters and more time to concentrate on criminal/civil cases pending before them. Even my distant relative, who is one of the police detectives assigned to the WCDPS PPU, is in agreement with me and how my county does things; but he is only a small cog in the WC pistol licensing bureaucracy.

Ive emailed the county clerk, and our county exec (Astorino) with ideas to save time, and effort (which equals tax dollars), but i never even got a response.

I think its time to email again.

Major

Ive emailed the county clerk, and our county exec (Astorino) with ideas to save time, and effort (which equals tax dollars), but i never even got a response.

I think its time to email again.
    Our UC Clerk has nothing to do with the licensing process other than to maintain the records. All transactions and aspects of pistol licensing and amendments go directly thru the Sheriff's Office, Pistol Permit Unit.CE Astorino can suggest changes to the WCDPS on his end as to streamline the process; but has NO control over the independently elected county judges (licensing officers) who make the licensing determinations.

Some suggestions: 1) Outsource fingerprinting to a private company who will forward data to WCDPS. 2) Allow applicants to submit the completed packet to WCDPS at anytime when the application is filled out, reference forms collected by applicant , and proof of gun safety class 3) WCDPS submits the completed packet directly to the Court Clerk for assignment upon receipt. 4) Based upon review of the applicant's background as provided in the file--licensing officer MAY require a personal interview OR grant the PL outright. 5) Licensing judge notifies applicant of the issuance or denial of the pistol license and instructs applicant to retrieve the plastic card license.

TheCelt, is it WCDPS or the County Clerk's Office that issues the PL card?

GT5
    Private

New here.. apologize for raising an old thread.

Can anyone give me good advice about what should go on each of these forms?

https://publicsafety.westchestergov....18wcpd126F.pdf ( ATTACHMENT: SPORT HUNTING )
    https://publicsafety.westchestergov....18wcpd126E.pdf ( ATTACHMENT: SPORT TARGET SHOOTING )

Its to my understanding that these forms need to accompany the main PPB-3 Form when applying for a permit.

Thanks in advance.

GT5
    Private

Anyone know current wait times for pistol permit in Westchester County?

GT5
    Private

Anyone?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast