Why on earth is this NYC gun license renewal application so long?!?!
Close

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By OwnTheRide
  • 1 Post By Saltwater60
  • 1 Post By cranberry

Thread: Why on earth is this NYC gun license renewal application so long?!?!

Private

Default Why on earth is this NYC gun license renewal application so long?!?!

We have to renew online and upload all the documents and forms. It's like a new gun license application all over again - 17 screens of questions and forms to upload. They have all of this information already from when they approved the license. Why do they need this stuff all over again? A renewal for anything should not be just as long as the original application process. I even had to upload my license although I had to click on the license number in their system to start the renewal process. So much of this 17 screen process is redundant.

FYI
    I never received notice by mail to renew. I had to contact the NYPD. Several people told me the renewal paperwork has always been sent late. It's not a new problem.

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

It's all about trying to deny you the permit, or discourage you from applying for it.
    blovis, bruce, Saltwater60 and 1 others like this.
    Anything stated in the above post is my personal opinion and should not be construed as legal advice.

Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by OwnTheRide View Post
    It's all about trying to deny you the permit, or discourage you from applying for it.
    At least someone else gets it!!
    RTNYC likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Private

Quote Originally Posted by OwnTheRide View Post
    Yea it's all about making life as hard as possible for you & it's sad as you say you already have your license it shouldn't be that difficult

they need to be fought tooth and nail all of the time .
    RTNYC likes this.

Corporal

Once they went online all information has to put in as if it is a new application.
    i did mine in 2018.
    Had a few hiccups but the PAA e mailed me and got it straightened out.
    Stay with it.
    All the forms can be downloaded from the website.

Sergeant

Honestly cant tell what is worse - online or in-person. I did my original permit in person... but by time I had to renew it was online, and buggy - which meant I had to then contact them (hahaha) to get it straightened out, THEN re-apply. Everything was late, permit expired and of course calling 1PP they said "don't worry about it buddy" but the second time around a lot of the info was pre-populated and was so much easier.

Private

Got my renewed last year, like everyone else has said, the whole process was designed to discourage you from renewing or contemplating moving to some where else. But, I gotta say this, the few times that I have problems and questions with the process, they replied back to me through email with almost no delay.

Private

Sorry to hijack this thread, but it caught my attention. Do you need to get reference letters all over again? Also, do you need to re-verify your employment again (letter or payroll stub)?
    Just wondering what to expect come time for renewal

Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by junction53 View Post
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but it caught my attention. Do you need to get reference letters all over again? Also, do you need to re-verify your employment again (letter or payroll stub)?
    Just wondering what to expect come time for renewal
    No, I just had to confirm my employer name / location in the form - no need for new ref letters

Private

It takes several months and since mine didn't come in on time I was very concerned. They told me to just keep my guns locked up at my Apt and that I would be fine. Still it is kind of ridiculous, they know they won't get you your approval on time but still don't permit you to apply for it until just before it expires. Not sure if it's purposeful or if they just don't care. This is from my previous post on this subject...

"Just wanted to follow up here. I received my new permit in October, 7 months after I applied for my renewal."
    Last edited by tbirdny; 06-07-2020 at 12:20 PM.