Perpetually Delayed on Pistol NICS check - Erie County
Close

Private

Default Perpetually Delayed on Pistol NICS check - Erie County

Hello All,

Background:
    Received my unrestricted Erie County pistol permit just before covid-19 on March 12th. Purchased my first pistol at a local gun store shortly after that, just before gun stores were closed. The gunstore ran my NICS check and came back delayed. Not my first time getting delayed. I was arrested in 2013 with serious charges that were dropped, and ever since then I get delayed for a day or so before my background check comes back with a thumbs up. I have purchased multiple long guns since being arrested and received an unrestricted pistol permit...So my background check is good.

Issue:
    The gunstore has run my background check 2-3 times and they all come back delayed and they never receives a response. Out of impatients, I tried purchasing a different pistol from a different FFL and that NICS check is just coming up on a 30 day delay and I'm now being told by the second gun shop that it will need to be run again. So I know where the second gun purchase is headed...

Question:
    Anyone else experiencing perpetual NICS delays? Is it because of covid and the NICS system is still overloaded? Any advice? Don't know what to do.

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Colonel

NYS passed a law not too long ago that if you are delayed you wait until you get a response but I think the FBI gives up after 3 days because in other states you get the ok to proceed after that. NYS implemented the 30 day delay. Unfortunately the NICS check is only good for 30 days so you will likely be caught in an endless loop.

you need to fill out paper work to get a UPIN
    Havent read the article but should give you the gist. Yes NYS fucked is gun owners again.

Delayed? How to get your UPIN – Precision Point Firearms

Private

Quote Originally Posted by Saltwater60 View Post
    NYS passed a law not too long ago that if you are delayed you wait until you get a response but I think the FBI gives up after 3 days because in other states you get the ok to proceed after that. NYS implemented the 30 day delay. Unfortunately the NICS check is only good for 30 days so you will likely be caught in an endless loop.

you need to fill out paper work to get a UPIN
    Havent read the article but should give you the gist. Yes NYS fucked is gun owners again.

Delayed? How to get your UPIN Precision Point Firearms
    Thanks for the reply. I feared that was my only choice. It looks like that is an 8-9 month process. Not ideal. I will get to work on submitting the application but I'm hoping this whole delay for months thing will end first once the surge in gun purchases die down and the FBI will be able to turn around my NICS check in a normal turn around time.

Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Jmski333 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I feared that was my only choice. It looks like that is an 8-9 month process. Not ideal. I will get to work on submitting the application but I'm hoping this whole delay for months thing will end first once the surge in gun purchases die down and the FBI will be able to turn around my NICS check in a normal turn around time.
    Hopefully gun sales are through the roof right now.
    Do you give your social security number? Might help if you have a common name.