Pennsylvania Taking Non Resident Applications?
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OwnTheRide

Thread: Pennsylvania Taking Non Resident Applications?

Private

Default Pennsylvania Taking Non Resident Applications?

Does anyone know of a county in PA that is currently processing non-resident permits?
    I called Potter County Sheriff (since I'm going to be there soon) but they are only processing Potter County residents at this time.

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Private

Quote Originally Posted by dariv View Post
    Does anyone know of a county in PA that is currently processing non-resident permits?
    I called Potter County Sheriff (since I'm going to be there soon) but they are only processing Potter County residents at this time.
    Found this for Erie PA (not sure if you're in reasonable distance):

https://eriecountypa.gov/wp-content/...s-and-Fees.pdf

That process for mailing in applications was in effect until May 29th. Not sure if it has been extended. It also says non-resident walk-ins are permitted on Friday. I'd suggest giving them a call to confirm. Please let us know what you find out.

Colonel

If you DM erie county make sure you have an unrestricted permit.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

All counties are required to accept applications upon presentment. Any sheriff refusing to accept your application is violating the law. I highly encourage people to fight lawbreaking sheriffs in court.

https://nyfirearms.com/forums/pistol...ur-rights.html

Four years later, still no takers. Not that I'm surprised - it is much easier for us to go to another county. That said, look at what happened when I fought a lawbreaking sheriff... he quickly backed down (though not far enough, IMO).
    Saltwater60 likes this.
    Anything stated in the above post is my personal opinion and should not be construed as legal advice.

Private

Centre County is the only one if you don’t have unrestricted. You have to go in person. Takes less than 10 min.

Corporal

Lackawanna County Sheriff in Scranton PA, in and out in 20 minutes and 22 bucks.

Private

I used McKean County (right next to Potter County) for over 25 years - I live in PA now.
    Make sure you have your NYS Permit, do know if it has to be unrestricted - mine was unrestricted.
    But if the NYS permit is hunting and target - they should grant you the same, because you want to do the at least the same in PA.
    Have name and address plus phone numbers of two friends for the form, my friends were never called.
    Getting and renewing the permit has to be done in person.
    Give the McKean County a call, they may have certain hours, etc
    The folks at the Sheriff Office have always been polite and wanted to help to help me.
    One time I show up and the NICS which is PICS in PA was down, they did everything and I got my renewed permit in the mail 3 days later at my NY address.
    Good Luck

Private

make the " do know if it has to be unrestricted" in to "do NOT know -------" sorry, mind goes faster than fingers.

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmNATO View Post
    make the " do know if it has to be unrestricted" in to "do NOT know -------" sorry, mind goes faster than fingers.
    The 1st thing we were asked was if we had unrestricted permits. They dont issue to restricted permit holders.
    Last edited by Vicarious; 06-11-2020 at 06:23 AM.

Private

Potter county normally does take applications from non-residents. It's not at this time due to the Covid-19 situation. They plan to take applications by mail for non-residents "soon."

Private

Looks like I can either wait for Potter county to start taking applications again or go to McKean county. I live in Rochester and hold an unrestricted issued in Monroe County. I camp near Coudersport so Potter county was my first/best option but McKean isn't too far of a detour. But... my camping trip was canceled/postponed. trying to reschedule something now.

Private

Quick update:
    Potter county is still not processing non-resident applications.
    So I called McKean county sheriff (Just west of Potter) and left a message. Got a call back in less than an hour. They are taking applications by appointment. I called today, Friday, and got a Monday appointment. Just need my ID, application, and $20 cash.

Private

Just got my non-resident permit today in Erie County, PA. I was the only one there and was in and out in 15 minutes.

Just FYI, non-residents are only allowed in the office on Fridays for the time being between the hours of 10 AM and 4 PM.

Private

McKean county was in and out in 5 minutes. I got there a half hour early and they took me right in. Paid $20 cash and left with the license in hand.
    Very easy and quick. Permits are by appointment only and you have to have no restrictions.

Private

McKean county was in and out in 5 minutes. I got there a half hour early and they took me right in. Paid $20 cash and left with the license in hand.
    Very easy and quick. Permits are by appointment only and you have to have no restrictions.
    No restrictions - so that pretty much leaves almost everyone from NYC or Westchester out of it