Applied in Monroe Cty NY, 2 appointments needed now
Close

Private

Default Applied in Monroe Cty NY, 2 appointments needed now

New forum member here. Iíve read through the permit forum and didnít see anything posted about this. Apologies if this has been covered.

You have to sign up for an online appointment at the county clerks office . My wife and I lucked out and got 2 appointments this past Wednesday when someone else cancelled. Right now the appointments are 1 1/2 months out.

The instructions say to go to the Monroe County Sheriffís office to get fingerprinted for a suburban application. Well, you canít just walk in anymore, and we didnít know that. So we had to call 585-753-4175 (records office) for a second appointment. And of course not on the same day we went to the clerks office.

Also, we were apparently pretty naive about how long this process takes. 6 to 12 months? We werenít expecting that.

I saw one recent post that looks like it took almost 7 months. Anyone else got any experience on approval times?

Anybody had any success moving the process along faster?

Thanks in advance.

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Private

I think it took me about 7 months, pre-covid. IIRC, I dropped off the application at the clerk and walked over to the Sheriff office for the fingerprints.From there it was about six months for the investigation and another month for the judge's approval and mailing out the permit. Just as a fun contrast, I drove down to Pennsylvania recently and was in and out in 5 minutes with a firearms licenses in hand. Cost $20. And that's in the middle of all this covid stuff.
    I can only imagine it's gotten worse for those applying now.
    Last edited by dariv; 07-13-2020 at 12:07 PM.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by dariv View Post
    I think it took me about 7 months, pre-covid. IIRC, I dropped off the application at the clerk and walked over to the Sheriff office for the fingerprints.From there it was about six months for the investigation and another month for the judge's approval and mailing out the permit. Just as a fun contrast, I drove down to Pennsylvania recently and was in and out in 5 minutes with a firearms licenses in hand. Cost $20. And that's in the middle of all this covid stuff.
    I can only imagine it's gotten worse for those applying now.
    Thanks for the datapoint. I’m hoping that because the appointments are so restricted, that there aren’t as many applications to clog things up. We’ll see I guess.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Private

It has always been variable as to length of the wait. Mine was done in about 6 or 7 weeks and others were similar for a while. Depends on how many applicants and deputies working on things. Some judges are way more efficient than others at thier portion of the review process too. Hopefully the time goes quick for you both.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter86 View Post
    It has always been variable as to length of the wait. Mine was done in about 6 or 7 weeks and others were similar for a while. Depends on how many applicants and deputies working on things. Some judges are way more efficient than others at thier portion of the review process too. Hopefully the time goes quick for you both.
    Wow, 7 weeks would be great! Did you do anything to check the status while it was in process? About when did you apply for yours?

thx

Private

My wife applied in Feb 2020 and was approved June 2020.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by UNY0712 View Post
    Wow, 7 weeks would be great! Did you do anything to check the status while it was in process? About when did you apply for yours?

thx
    I applied summer 2017. There was a big push to get caught up due to an upcoming deluge of initial recerts. MCSD called me and said if my references and wife all called in that day my app would be off to the judge next day or so. I had a letter of approval maybe 3 weeks later? I did big the county clerk's office a few weeks after I got my letter.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by julitor1970 View Post
    My wife applied in Feb 2020 and was approved June 2020.
    Thanks for the info on the timeframe. Gives me some hope it might not take forever for ours. After a month I’ll probably go check the status at the clerk’s office.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter86 View Post
    I applied summer 2017. There was a big push to get caught up due to an upcoming deluge of initial recerts. MCSD called me and said if my references and wife all called in that day my app would be off to the judge next day or so. I had a letter of approval maybe 3 weeks later? I did big the county clerk's office a few weeks after I got my letter.
    Sounds like you really it the timing right!