monroe county pistol permit application issue question
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TR1

Thread: monroe county pistol permit application issue question

Private

Default monroe county pistol permit application issue question

I currently turned in my application and made a copy for my records. Having looked it over again I screwed up not realizing you have to list any arrests even if you were a minor. I did have an arrest for petty larceny when I was 17. I am 46 now. I did not list it on my application. I have not been interviewed yet. I Turned in my application on july 28th. Could I discuss this with the sheriff when he calls or is there something else that can be done or is it too late? Thanks for advice from anyone who knows.

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Sergeant

I would tell them immediately because they are going to run your record before they even call you. Leaving an arrest off is usually an automatic denial. It makes no difference when it happened or what it was for.

Call the permit office and explain and see what they suggest. Do not wait for them to call you out on it. Heck, for all you know they may see it and decide not to even interview you. It's possible. Call the office today.

Corporal

I wouldn't sweat it too much.
    When the investigator calls you and before the interview starts, tell them you left off an arrest and make full disclosure at that time. They will want to know why you left it off. Be honest, they can smell BS through the phone. Shouldn't be an issue.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Sergeant

I would highly encourage OP to be proactive on this and not wait around for a call. I guess it depends on how bad he wants the permit. If it were me I'd get off my ass and make the call to see how they want you to handle it. Like I said, they will know about it before they even call you. I wouldn't want to start off the interview with them already assuming you lied on the paperwork.

Corporal

By all means, call the sheriff's pistol permit office. My guess is they will tell you what they told me. And that is to explain it to the investigator when they call for the interview. I will tell you that it is possible to leave multiple "arrests" off the application and still get your license. So like I said before, don't sweat it because it's not the instant denial some people would have you believe it is.

Private

Thank you all for your advice. I think what I am going to do is when I get the call from the sheriff I am gonna tell him before he starts the interview something like I need to tell you something before we get started and explain it to him. Hopefully he is understanding and it won't stop me from getting permit. I think at the very least it would show honesty. I have been told you can't really amend it once the application is submitted so I think this is the best course of action. Thanks again for all replies. And yes I want the permit really bad. Just a stupid mistake on my part. Don't want to pay 129 bucks to get denied.

Corporal

I'm also in Monroe and this worked out fine for me. And I had multiple omissions on my application. But like you they were minor and decades ago. I do not think it will be an automatic denial if you disclose the situation to the interviewer before they start asking questions. That's exactly how it went in my case. If everything else is good you should be approved.

Quote Originally Posted by fubar73 View Post
    Thank you all for your advice. I think what I am going to do is when I get the call from the sheriff I am gonna tell him before he starts the interview something like I need to tell you something before we get started and explain it to him. Hopefully he is understanding and it won't stop me from getting permit. I think at the very least it would show honesty. I have been told you can't really amend it once the application is submitted so I think this is the best course of action. Thanks again for all replies. And yes I want the permit really bad. Just a stupid mistake on my part. Don't want to pay 129 bucks to get denied.

TR1
    Private

Why WOULDN'T you call and ask how to handle and get in front of it asap vs waiting for the interview call which as someone else said COULD possibly not come because they saw the omission? What is the upside to waiting? Why risk a denial, which can be a whole lot more time and money to appeal, and by all accounts most appeals are an uphill battle. Just wondering...
    Vicarious likes this.

Private

I can tell you that when they called me about the application I had left off some detail from my records and they questioned me about that very thoroughly. Tell them everything when they call. I did also explain that I was nervous and new to all the paperwork and thanked her for trying to get the info right. They're only doing their jobs after all.