format for arrest letter
Close

Private

Default format for arrest letter

Hi everyone

does anyone have a sample letter that i can use as a guide? i need to write why i was arrested and do not know the format they are looking for.

any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Sergeant

Why were you arrested and how long ago?

Private

Quote Originally Posted by smitty846 View Post
    Why were you arrested and how long ago?
    i was arrested and found not guilty and dismissed back in 1984 The application states i must get a notarized letter explaining why i was arrested.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Colonel

Get the court disposition and police report so you know what that says if you can. Format your letter around that. I’d say it won’t be an issue. That’s a long time ago and you were found not guilty. Also don’t be afraid to call the permit office for guidance. Most times the are very helpful. Can you speak with a gun trainer or the guy that gives courses? They usually have insight. Hard to say as each place looks for something different.

Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by mione View Post
    i was arrested and found not guilty and dismissed back in 1984 The application states i must get a notarized letter explaining why i was arrested.
    You didn't really answer the question. The reason for the arrest will be a factor, especially given your location. Also you cannot be found not guilty AND dismissed. Those are two different things. Was it an ACD perhaps? Not sure what your court is looking for as most people just have to disclose the arrest and include a copy of court disposition. It sounds like your judge wants an essay for you to explain yourself. Good luck.

Private

You didn't really answer the question. The reason for the arrest will be a factor, especially given your location. Also you cannot be found not guilty AND dismissed. Those are two different things. Was it an ACD perhaps? Not sure what your court is looking for as most people just have to disclose the arrest and include a copy of court disposition. It sounds like your judge wants an essay for you to explain yourself. Good luck.
    sorry should have read dismissed and sealed

Sergeant

sorry should have read dismissed and sealed
    There is no such thing. A lot of lawyers like to push that as some great accomplishment they got for you, but it means nothing. Your "sealed" record will pop up instantly when the investigator runs you and he will read every detail you were told would be sealed away forever.

If you need more clarification I would suggest calling your permit office to find out what the judge is specifically looking for in your case. As I said, most people just have to list an arrest and include the disposition. In your case it appears your judge want's you to do some explaining and perhaps repent your past. Best go right to the source so you don't mess it up.

Private

There is no such thing. A lot of lawyers like to push that as some great accomplishment they got for you, but it means nothing. Your "sealed" record will pop up instantly when the investigator runs you and he will read every detail you were told would be sealed away forever.

If you need more clarification I would suggest calling your permit office to find out what the judge is specifically looking for in your case. As I said, most people just have to list an arrest and include the disposition. In your case it appears your judge want's you to do some explaining and perhaps repent your past. Best go right to the source so you don't mess it up.
    i am only stating what is on the court disposition
    view

1.jpg
    Last edited by mione; 09-14-2020 at 12:55 PM.

Sergeant

i am only stating what is on the court disposition
    view

1.jpg
    I understand. I'm just telling you when your name is entered into the system your full history and details will pop right up. They have full access to so called "sealed" files. Nothing is actually sealed.

Private

I understand. I'm just telling you when your name is entered into the system your full history and details will pop right up. They have full access to so called "sealed" files. Nothing is actually sealed.
    yes i totally understand the madness. but is there a format to follow as this is why what i asked about in my post.

Sergeant

yes i totally understand the madness. but is there a format to follow as this is why what i asked about in my post.
    I don't think you're going to find a "format" from anyone here. What your judge is requiring from you is not consistent with what most others have had to do. The standard process is to list the arrest and include a disposition. I. can't think of anyone else coming here to report that they were required to write an essay explaining themselves. This is why I suggested you call the office directly so you can give them what they want. Nobody else here to my knowledge has been subjected to essay writing regarding their past arrests.