Wait time after being granted
Close

Private

Default Wait time after being granted

Hey all first time poster... I was originally denied my permit, but after my hearing with my judge in Monroe county, I was granted the concealed carry permit. I was wondering if anyone knew the wait time after you get a letter saying you are getting your permit is or if it's different post hearing. I googled around a bit and couldn't really find anything so I thought I would throw it to the folks that seem to know one heck of a lot more than I do. Thanks for any tips info or insights. Joe

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Private

If Monroe is anything like Erie, your letter is your "permit" until you actually add a gun to it. Then you get your plastic card.

Colonel

No idea but glad you pressed on and got your permit.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Private

I would think that the judge at the hearing would have signed the approval which can be a lengthy part of the process normally, and would then go to the clerks to print and mail to you. Hopefully its on the way very soon, make sure to post when you get it so others will have an idea in the future! Congrats on success!

Private

Nassau County is another story. Not possible here!

Why not try calling the PP office? Congrats!
    I carry two trauma kits, one that fixes and one that causes.
    GunSite Academy, 250 Pistol Course, Marksman
    GOA
    USAF 1971 - 1975

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman160 View Post
    If Monroe is anything like Erie, your letter is your "permit" until you actually add a gun to it. Then you get your plastic card.
    Actually, no. Not in Monroe. If you do not have your permit in hand, you do not yet have a permit. NY state does not allow for any other proof of a NYS License to carry a handgun other than the ACTUAL permit itself. (It's in the law that you must carry the actual permit with you when you carry your gun)

I know because people have been in trouble for it. No gun handling, shooting, or otherwise until that card/paper is in your hot little hands.

Good luck!
    "From training comes knowledge. From knowledge comes confidence. From confidence comes triumph."

The Next Evolution in Training

"Like" us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Roche...61665857219329

Dave Jenkins,
    Founder, Primary Instructor: Rochester Personal Defense, LLC
    NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor for: Well, pretty much everything!
    Handgun Combatives Certified Instructor
    USCCA Certified Instructor/Training Counselor
    Sig Master Handgun Instructor
    REAL TRAINING, FOR REAL PEOPLE, FOR REAL LIFE.

Great! Congrats!

I would bet that you would see it in as early as a couple weeks and, at most, maybe a month or so. It will take time for the judge's approval to get batched and sent back to the clerk's office. Then, they will have to create the permit card, and then either notify you to pick it up or mail it out.
    "From training comes knowledge. From knowledge comes confidence. From confidence comes triumph."

The Next Evolution in Training

"Like" us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Roche...61665857219329

Dave Jenkins,
    Founder, Primary Instructor: Rochester Personal Defense, LLC
    NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor for: Well, pretty much everything!
    Handgun Combatives Certified Instructor
    USCCA Certified Instructor/Training Counselor
    Sig Master Handgun Instructor
    REAL TRAINING, FOR REAL PEOPLE, FOR REAL LIFE.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by RochPersDef View Post
    Actually, no. Not in Monroe. If you do not have your permit in hand, you do not yet have a permit. NY state does not allow for any other proof of a NYS License to carry a handgun other than the ACTUAL permit itself. (It's in the law that you must carry the actual permit with you when you carry your gun)

I know because people have been in trouble for it. No gun handling, shooting, or otherwise until that card/paper is in your hot little hands.

Good luck!
    I should have been more clear. I wasn't referring to owning or carrying a gun. When I say your letter is your permit, I am referring to your ability to go to a store, handle, and purchase a firearm. In Erie, you get a letter saying "Congratulations, your application has been approved" with instructions on adding a gun so you can get your plastic card. You take that to the store and buy your gun. You can't go back and pick it up until you have the plastic card in hand, in the form specified in Penal Law Section 400.00(7). I'm not aware of anyone receiving a plastic card without submitting an amendment, which presupposes that a seller accepted your approval letter as a "permit" of sorts.

Maybe Monroe does things differently.
    Last edited by Caveman160; 10-15-2020 at 10:31 AM.

Sergeant

I should have been more clear. I wasn't referring to owning or carrying a gun. When I say your letter is your permit, I am referring to your ability to go to a store, handle, and purchase a firearm. In Erie, you get a letter saying "Congratulations, your application has been approved" with instructions on adding a gun so you can get your plastic card. You take that to the store and buy your gun. You can't go back and pick it up until you have the plastic card in hand, in the form specified in Penal Law Section 400.00(7). I'm not aware of anyone receiving a plastic card without submitting an amendment, which presupposes that a seller accepted your approval letter as a "permit" of sorts.

Maybe Monroe does things differently.
    Correct. The letter serves as proof that a permit has been issued to the applicant. The law specifies you must carry the permit while carrying a gun. Looking at a gun in a gun shop is not carrying a gun. Therefore the letter proves that you may legally handle the gun in store.