Best path to a hand gun permit
Close

Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By 1911operator

Thread: Best path to a hand gun permit

  1. #1
    Private
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4

    Default Best path to a hand gun permit

    I am planning on applying for my hand gun permit. I have never owned a gun before but i have shot a lot. I am located in Staten Island so I have to deal with NYC regulation which from what i have read is difficult to get.

    My background. I am an attorney thats licensed in NYC. I have a pretty good record except for one arrest. It was for possession of a controlled substance about 5 years ago. I have since got a conditional discharge and the arrest expunged ( i know i have to list this on my application).

    Should I try to apply myself, get an attorney to handle the application due to my application? Should I take an NRA class before i even apply? Would that help my odds?

    If anyone can recommend an attorney thats good in NYC that would be great.

    My main desire is for a premise license and to shoot at the range.

  2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
  3. #2
    Colonel
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Erie
    Posts
    4,558

    Default

    You need to take a handgun safety course in NYS as far as I know. At least in my county and the ones that surround need to take an approved course.

    IMO you can do all the paperwork yourself but NYC is ridiculous and they may deny you for the drug arrest. If They do appeal it and save your money for an attorney for that. Yes you will need to list your arrest since they will see it regardless.
    Also do you plan to apply for a carry permit? Also don’t reference any pistol shooting experience in NYS.

  4. #3
    Private
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Thanks for the advise. I will not mention any shoot experience. For shits and giggles any reason why?

    Im going to look into an attorney as well, I would like to work out a deal where if I apply and get it then im done but if im denied i would want them to appeal.

    I plan to take a hand gun safety course as well. I have also heard that its better to apply for a shotgun permit first and then apply for a hand gun. Would that be a more ideal route?

    I may apply for a carry...not that i would really ever carry but just to have it. Although I am an attorney Im not currently practicing, I am working in the construction field. I dont think I have any NYC reasoning why I would need a carry. Is this something that can by applied for at the same time?

  5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Private
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Just go to the website and start your application https://licensing.nypdonline.org/new-app-instruction/ and be ready to wait.
    Note:They can deny you for almost any reason if you have any police record make sure you let them know be up front they will find out.

    If you can afford it go for the rifle shotgun at the same time you will need almost the same paperwork.
    Also start looking for a DEC hunting class you will need it.

    You only use a lawyer if you are deny and you have to appeal ,start your application.

  7. #5
    Private
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Sorry did not see saltwater60 post you do not need to take a class to apply for a NYC permit,unless you are law enforcement or billionaire the most you can get is a premise license.

  8. #6
    Corporal 1911operator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    106

    Default

    To the OP, technically you can’t handle a handgun in NYS, unless you are licensed.
    Saltwater60 and Vicarious like this.

  9. #7
    Colonel
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Erie
    Posts
    4,558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frey View Post
    Sorry did not see saltwater60 post you do not need to take a class to apply for a NYC permit,unless you are law enforcement or billionaire the most you can get is a premise license.
    That’s interesting to me. Counties are so different. Here by me you need to take one and submit your cert with application or they won’t take it. They also recommend to get a carry permit you take additional trainings. They are not as strict on the additional trainings for the full carry permit but no training no go in my county and the few that surround mine. I guess I figured it was a state law.

    Also I see no problem applying for a long gun permit first and yes you Aren’t legally allow d to possess a pistol in nys without a permit. Many stores won’t let you pick one without a permit. I guess it’s all about how you define possession.

  10. #8
    Private
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saltwater60 View Post
    That’s interesting to me. Counties are so different. Here by me you need to take one and submit your cert with application or they won’t take it. They also recommend to get a carry permit you take additional trainings. They are not as strict on the additional trainings for the full carry permit but no training no go in my county and the few that surround mine. I guess I figured it was a state law.

    Also I see no problem applying for a long gun permit first and yes you Aren’t legally allow d to possess a pistol in nys without a permit. Many stores won’t let you pick one without a permit. I guess it’s all about how you define possession.
    NYC pistol permit is different from a rifle,Rifle/shotgun division handles the long gun permit separate application and NYPD handles the handgun permit if you are approved for the rifle/shotgun witch is faster that does not mean you will be approved for a handgun permit that could take a year or more pre corona times,now they don't even answer the phones.

    1-Residence (the only one you will get) your house,range,hunting if you have your HAC.
    2-Business limited to a specific business location you cannot take it any where else except the range.
    3-Limited carry if you can prove you carry more than $7,000.00 a week in cash and only during when they are transporting money.Also armed guard or security officers.
    4-Full If you paid the cops like a few years back current and retired law enforcement,rich people Trump,DeNiro ect.And if you donate enough to a judge that can vouch for you.
    Travel NYC does not recognize any other license from any other State or NYS counties unless approved by the NYPD commissioner.
    And if you are planning to go anywhere remember have your gun secured unloaded with a trigger lock in a locked container have the ammo in a separate lock container(if the ammo is nearby they will consider that a loaded weapon).

    Little extras that they don't tell you.
    No more than 200 rounds total,that is one primer counts as one round. FDNY fire code It shall be unlawful to: Store, handle or use any explosive in a re sidential building, or within 100 feet thereof. also black powder handling and storing reloading is pretty much illegal for us.
    Handguns no greater than 10 rounds,rifle shotgun 5 rounds. If you purchase outside NYC make sure your receipt does not include any magazines that say more than 5 round or more than 200 rounds on the receipt you have to give them a copy of that.
    Example 10/22 usually comes with a 10 round magazine(that is illegal in NYC leave it with a friend outside the city) you have to make sure your receipt says 5 round magazine on the receipt and the voucher if not they will not accepted.And that means you have a high capacity magazine in your home.

  11. #9
    Private
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Thank you very much for the information! This is very helpful.

  12. #10
    Colonel
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Erie
    Posts
    4,558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frey View Post
    NYC pistol permit is different from a rifle,Rifle/shotgun division handles the long gun permit separate application and NYPD handles the handgun permit if you are approved for the rifle/shotgun witch is faster that does not mean you will be approved for a handgun permit that could take a year or more pre corona times,now they don't even answer the phones.

    1-Residence (the only one you will get) your house,range,hunting if you have your HAC.
    2-Business limited to a specific business location you cannot take it any where else except the range.
    3-Limited carry if you can prove you carry more than $7,000.00 a week in cash and only during when they are transporting money.Also armed guard or security officers.
    4-Full If you paid the cops like a few years back current and retired law enforcement,rich people Trump,DeNiro ect.And if you donate enough to a judge that can vouch for you.
    Travel NYC does not recognize any other license from any other State or NYS counties unless approved by the NYPD commissioner.
    And if you are planning to go anywhere remember have your gun secured unloaded with a trigger lock in a locked container have the ammo in a separate lock container(if the ammo is nearby they will consider that a loaded weapon).

    Little extras that they don't tell you.
    No more than 200 rounds total,that is one primer counts as one round. FDNY fire code It shall be unlawful to: Store, handle or use any explosive in a re sidential building, or within 100 feet thereof. also black powder handling and storing reloading is pretty much illegal for us.
    Handguns no greater than 10 rounds,rifle shotgun 5 rounds. If you purchase outside NYC make sure your receipt does not include any magazines that say more than 5 round or more than 200 rounds on the receipt you have to give them a copy of that.
    Example 10/22 usually comes with a 10 round magazine(that is illegal in NYC leave it with a friend outside the city) you have to make sure your receipt says 5 round magazine on the receipt and the voucher if not they will not accepted.And that means you have a high capacity magazine in your home.
    Yes I’m aware a long gun and pistol permit are different. I was just saying I see no trouble or reason not to apply for both at the same time as it won’t hurt him.

    Yes I’m know NYC is ridiculous and I did actually know they limited long guns to 5 round mags although I can’t see how that’s legal and should be challenged since they denied the 7 round pistol clause. That’s just ripe for the picking and only needs some one with the cash and time to challenge it and it will be over turned IMO.

    Also for handgun you will very likely only get premises permit maybe business carry. It’s very dumb that it can vary so much from county to county. Makes things complicated. Just like my permit is not valid in NYC but I have a NYS permit. I’m confused because NYC is part of NYS unfortunately for me!!

  13. #11
    Sergeant
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Westchester
    Posts
    292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xexitenglishx View Post
    I am planning on applying for my hand gun permit. I have never owned a gun before but i have shot a lot. I am located in Staten Island so I have to deal with NYC regulation which from what i have read is difficult to get.

    My background. I am an attorney thats licensed in NYC. I have a pretty good record except for one arrest. It was for possession of a controlled substance about 5 years ago. I have since got a conditional discharge and the arrest expunged ( i know i have to list this on my application).

    Should I try to apply myself, get an attorney to handle the application due to my application? Should I take an NRA class before i even apply? Would that help my odds?

    If anyone can recommend an attorney thats good in NYC that would be great.

    My main desire is for a premise license and to shoot at the range.
    This is a tough one. Remember, if you get denied, even if you prevail on appeal, you will always have to answer "Yes" to the question "have you ever been denied a pistol permit" on every pistol permit application and then explain what happened and if you prevailed on appeal. If you get denied in NYC and don't prevail on appeal you will likely never get a permit anywhere else by virtue of being denied in NYC. Consult a 2A attorney.

    My advice would be to apply for an out of state permit first like Florida or Utah. In fact, I would look into which other out of state permits allow you to apply without having a permit from your state of residence. This way you can at least secure permits in some more friendly states.

    My next piece of advice would be to consider moving to another part of NYS. Depending on where you work, the commute is reasonable from other Counties in NY or CT. You would likely have a better chance, and also a chance for getting a Carry Permit, if you lived and applied outside of NYC.

    Now that the Supreme Court is 6-3, I would love to see someone with a NY State Full Carry Permit, who has to work in NYC, challenge the Constitutionality of the Sullivan Act. Or someone who lives in Westchester or Rockland with a Full Carry that works on Long Island. Every time you drive through New York City you have to secure your firearm separate from its ammo and not accessible from the driver compartment unless you have a NYC permit. The fact that NYC can have its own license scheme separate and distinct from New York State is ripe for a challenge with a sympathetic Supreme Court.

  14. #12
    Sergeant
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    415

    Default

    Disagree with the above. An appeal would overturn a denial. I am not a lawyer but have a pretty extensive handle on such things. Consult a lawyer if you must but my advice is sound.

  15. #13
    Sergeant
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Westchester
    Posts
    292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smitty846 View Post
    Disagree with the above. An appeal would overturn a denial. I am not a lawyer but have a pretty extensive handle on such things. Consult a lawyer if you must but my advice is sound.
    You are absolutely right. A successful appeal will overturn a denial. However, in answer to a question: “Have you ever been denied a pistol permit” you would still have to answer “Yes” and then fill in an explanation of that you appealed the decision and were ultimately granted the permit. You will need to include all details of the reason for denial and the justification that prevailed on appeal. That was the point I was making above. If you get denied, it will forever be a hassle as you will need to explain it on any future application.

  16. #14
    Sergeant
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve89 View Post
    You are absolutely right. A successful appeal will overturn a denial. However, in answer to a question: “Have you ever been denied a pistol permit” you would still have to answer “Yes” and then fill in an explanation of that you appealed the decision and were ultimately granted the permit. You will need to include all details of the reason for denial and the justification that prevailed on appeal. That was the point I was making above. If you get denied, it will forever be a hassle as you will need to explain it on any future application.
    Disagree. You would have been ultimately granted approval on the first application. Your process may have had more steps to it, but the initial application was eventually approved nonetheless. If you have to re-submit a second application then a "yes" answer would be an appropriate response to the question asking if you have ever been denied.

  17. #15
    Private hedgefund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Good luck getting a handgun permit in NYC as it normally takes 7-9 months and now with the police having to handle the "animals", AKA "peaceful" protestors it will take longer...

  18. #16
    Private
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frey View Post
    NYC pistol permit is different from a rifle,Rifle/shotgun division handles the long gun permit separate application and NYPD handles the handgun permit if you are approved for the rifle/shotgun witch is faster that does not mean you will be approved for a handgun permit that could take a year or more pre corona times,now they don't even answer the phones.

    1-Residence (the only one you will get) your house,range,hunting if you have your HAC.
    2-Business limited to a specific business location you cannot take it any where else except the range.
    3-Limited carry if you can prove you carry more than $7,000.00 a week in cash and only during when they are transporting money.Also armed guard or security officers.
    4-Full If you paid the cops like a few years back current and retired law enforcement,rich people Trump,DeNiro ect.And if you donate enough to a judge that can vouch for you.
    Travel NYC does not recognize any other license from any other State or NYS counties unless approved by the NYPD commissioner.
    And if you are planning to go anywhere remember have your gun secured unloaded with a trigger lock in a locked container have the ammo in a separate lock container(if the ammo is nearby they will consider that a loaded weapon).

    Little extras that they don't tell you.
    No more than 200 rounds total,that is one primer counts as one round. FDNY fire code It shall be unlawful to: Store, handle or use any explosive in a re sidential building, or within 100 feet thereof. also black powder handling and storing reloading is pretty much illegal for us.
    Handguns no greater than 10 rounds,rifle shotgun 5 rounds. If you purchase outside NYC make sure your receipt does not include any magazines that say more than 5 round or more than 200 rounds on the receipt you have to give them a copy of that.
    Example 10/22 usually comes with a 10 round magazine(that is illegal in NYC leave it with a friend outside the city) you have to make sure your receipt says 5 round magazine on the receipt and the voucher if not they will not accepted.And that means you have a high capacity magazine in your home.
    Finally someone who knows what they're talking about.

    I'd add one more thing, don't take advice from posters who live in counties far from NYC and who likely have never stepped foot anywhere near the 5 boroughs. These guys are a wealth of bad info and think the laws that apply in their counties, ie; you need to take a pistol course, pertain to NYC.

  19. #17
    Private
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Thank you for all the replys. Does someone have a NYC attorney they can recommend that I can speak to?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •