Dutchess County Pistol Permit
Close

Private

Default Dutchess County Pistol Permit

Hey everyone, new here. I moved to Dutchess County last year and Finally hit the 6 month requirement mark. I was on the county website to get the applications and all that and one thing I dont see any mention of is a Firearm safety course certificate. Am I just missing it or does dutchess not require it? I have rifles and shotguns so I am not new to being around firearms. Thanks in advance.

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Captain

Not required but highly encouraged by the county.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by smitty846 View Post
    Not required but highly encouraged by the county.
    perfect thank you. Now what is the likelihood of actually getting approved for a full carry? Or should I just aim at getting hunting/target?

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Private

Quote Originally Posted by Inkedupharley View Post
    perfect thank you. Now what is the likelihood of actually getting approved for a full carry? Or should I just aim at getting hunting/target?
    Dutchess County always issues full conceal carry. Recommended reason as to why you want full conceal is “all lawful purposes”. You should have your permit in your hands in about 2 1/2 months, maybe a bit more. Then another 2 weeks or so to register your pistols. The ladies that run it at DCSO are great and easy to work with and are happy to answer all your questions.

Captain

Always apply for full carry. You have no idea how many people I've seen apply for target/hunting permits, then get mad that they weren't approved for full carry. LOL you can't make this stuff up!!

Private

Always apply for full carry. You have no idea how many people I've seen apply for target/hunting permits, then get mad that they weren't approved for full carry. LOL you can't make this stuff up!!
    Will do. thats why I decided to come here since I have no one reference to ask in dutchess, lol. What would be a good thing to write in the reason for permit section? The other guy said “all lawful purposes”
    Last edited by Inkedupharley; 01-12-2021 at 10:26 PM.

Captain

Will do. thats why I decided to come here since I have no one reference to ask in dutchess, lol. What would be a good thing to write in the reason for permit section? The other guy said “all lawful purposes”
    Most counties do not like the “all lawful purposes” answer. That member has only posted here 3 times so I would wait for another opinion by a more senior member. You can also call the permit office and ask a clerk what the judge is looking for. Most places want some form of “proper cause” justification. Something like you carry cash for your job or things like that.

Private

Most counties do not like the “all lawful purposes” answer. That member has only posted here 3 times so I would wait for another opinion by a more senior member. You can also call the permit office and ask a clerk what the judge is looking for. Most places want some form of “proper cause” justification. Something like you carry cash for your job or things like that.
    Right. Thats why I figured I’d ask. My plan was to put personal protection(unless thats a bad idea). But I will call the permit office as well.
    Last edited by Inkedupharley; 01-12-2021 at 11:17 PM.

Private

I wrote that on my permit for Dutchess county in August of 2020 and received full carry. I had called the DCSO and asked about it, that’s what they recommended.

Private

Right. Thats why I figured I’d ask. My plan was to put personal protection(unless thats a bad idea). But I will call the permit office as well.
    I’m curious - what did they tell you? I called end of July and asked the same question and was recommended to write what I said. Received full carry.