Permit Application asking for Facebook password? - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Sergeant

Here's your options assuming this is true.... The best is the THIRD LINK listed below. Deactivating makes you appear to have no account but you can reactivate it later

1.Say NO I don't give out my passwords or private information. My account is set up so that only close friends can see what I post.
    2.Get an attorney.
    3.Archive off the contents of your Facebook account and delete it (there is a Facebook function to do that. Google it)
    4.Write a letter to the Judge

Consult these three links:
    What to Do When A Potential Employer Asks for Your Facebook Password
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/faceb...26598317390057
    https://www.facebook.com/help/214376678584711
    Member: NYSRPA - SAF - SCOPE - NRA

That would be an easy answer for me as I do not do Facebook.
    For anyone who does do Facebook I would suggest giving the same answer that I would give.
    I'm the guy who could catch VD from a virgin.

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away " Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Degenret View Post
    It isn't fishy at all.

Nah the fishy part was the 1 pop no response
    Semper Paratus
    NRA Life Member~ Conceal Carry NY ~ CT ~ FL & PA
    S & W ~ Beretta ~ Taurus ~ H & R ~ M69 ~ Savage ~ Marlin

4. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Private

Sorry guys I was away from my computer for a bit. No I didn't disappear and I'm not making this up by any stretch. I'm trying to do this in Watervliet which is part of Albany County... Here is a picture of the front page of the packet I was handed today.
    .IMG_1135.jpg

**** them! I would tell them that they can have my FB password when they give me their on-line banking password. FU FU FU, you ****ing bastards! Not sure what else to say. **** you!!

MDC

simple. deactivate it. then if you still want a facebook you can re-activate after you get your permit.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by BerettaGuy View Post
    FIrst post? No Pics? Now read my Sig LIne
    And if your sig line implies I'm a "troll" for coming on a forum which I lurk on frequently to ask a legitimate question....Wouldnt someone be more of a troll for immediately responding with name calling and a comment which adds nothing to the discussion?Just saying. I'm not looking to argue with anyone here and respect your opinions. That being said I do appreciate everyone's quick replies. I did post a picture of this paper in question that I received

Yeah. Once you beg for a right, they only ask for more. Welcome to NYF. Withdraw your pistol permit app immediately and reclaim whatever dignity you have.
    Heh!!

Quote Originally Posted by thughes View Post
    **** them! I would tell them that they can have my FB password when they give me their on-line banking password. FU FU FU, you ****ing bastards! Not sure what else to say. **** you!!
    I will second this!!!

They have no right to ask for passwords of any kind.

They also should not be allowed to use anything posted on Facebook (short of direct threats to someone) as a reason for approval or denial of a permit. I would consider that a violation of the 1st, 4th, and 5th amendment. The reason I say this is a violation of those 3 amendments is because, if this stands, a government agent will be allowed to use both private and public discussions (remember FB has friends only and public options when posting), which can include political discussions when making a decision about your ability to exercise your 2nd amendment right. Using public postings on FB would violate the 1st amendment and using "friends only" and private conversation postings could violate the 4th amendment.
    "whereas, to preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them"
    - Richard Henry Lee, "Letters from the Federal Farmer, Letter XVIII"

Head of Bacon Operations Smurfette's Avatar

I am really disturbed with the concept they are asking for passwords. considering every app/website etc says never ever give out your password. if the government wants it bad enough they can hack into it themselves.
    Cheese is the duct tape of foods

Why Can't I ever get my avatar facing the correct angle? Turn your head right, it will be normal.

None sounds good to me!

Unbelievable.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by androokwomo View Post
    Yeah. Once you beg for a right, they only ask for more. Welcome to NYF. Withdraw your pistol permit app immediately and reclaim whatever dignity you have.
    I see where your coming from. At this point I want to get this permit on principle and because it's my right as a law abiding citizen to own a pistol. It shouldn't be that only gang bangers and agents of the government who dress in funny costumes are the only ones who can get their hands on a pistol. I'll fight for my right to do this before I roll over. And I'll delete facebook for a bit if need be since I don't use it much anyway. But still and all this is a pretty extreme invasion of privacy.

Corporal

The government is creeping on 'every' possible angle to invade our privacy. Slowly but surely they are creeping.

What is facebook?
    "If I could have banned them all - 'Mr. and Mrs. America turn in your guns' - I would have!"
    - Diane Feinstein
    (I love Diane, that sexy angel)

Tell them you refuse and get ready to sue.

This could be huge
    RPD 46

What city is that and what is their phone number? Who is the sheriff? Time to hand out some earfulls.
    "If I could have banned them all - 'Mr. and Mrs. America turn in your guns' - I would have!"
    - Diane Feinstein
    (I love Diane, that sexy angel)

Quote Originally Posted by mazz View Post
    I see where your coming from. At this point I want to get this permit on principle and because it's my right as a law abiding citizen to own a pistol. It shouldn't be that only gang bangers and agents of the government who dress in funny costumes are the only ones who can get their hands on a pistol. I'll fight for my right to do this before I roll over. And I'll delete facebook for a bit if need be since I don't use it much anyway. But still and all this is a pretty extreme invasion of privacy.
    This is exactly why I will never apply for my permit and will deal with only being allowed by my masters to own long guns until I free myself from the prison of NYS. Im not belittling you for still going for it because thats your choice and I respect it, but lets be honest, at this point your not fighting for your right to own a pistol, your begging for it. Accepting the process only lends credence to it. Best of luck in your quest whatever your decision is.
    "One cannot kill time, merely waste it"
    That's SHO GUN, rhymes with pro-gun.

What to Do When A Potential Employer Asks for Your Facebook Password

I have to be honest, I would **** myself if someone asked that. I have nothing to hide on it as you view the page. but with the password they could make a threat to someone, etc and it's on you.

Why Can't I ever get my avatar facing the correct angle? Turn your head right, it will be normal.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by RayKnobs View Post
    Tell them you refuse and get ready to sue.

This could be huge
    Trust me if I had the funds right now at 24 I would love nothing more than to hire an attorney and write case law against this practice. It would be huge especially given the current state of our..state.

Quote Originally Posted by ECU Pirates View Post
    What city is that and what is their phone number? Who is the sheriff? Time to hand out some earfulls.
    The city is Watervliet.. its through their police department not the sheriff though, but the sheriff for Albany County is Craig Apple I believe. Maybe Ill make some calls tomorrow on my lunch anyway.

posting this on a couple other sites i know this is a big ****ing deal

Quote Originally Posted by mazz View Post
    Trust me if I had the funds right now at 24 I would love nothing more than to hire an attorney and write case law against this practice. It would be huge especially given the current state of .
    I don't think you understand how big this could be if denied. It so big it wouldn't cost you a dime.
    RPD 46

I know in NJ, there are so many municipalities that were asking for different things and had restrictions and requests that weren't legal. Then NJ2AS (NJ 2nd Amendment Society) stepped into the game with some local pro-2A attorneys and have gotten over 30 town, probably 50 by now, change the way they treat permit seekers. Gone are the special forms that need to be filled out in addendum to the state's form. Maybe NYSRPA can be reached out to on this. Especially since your so close to Albany.
    Psalm 12:8 The wicked walk on every side, when the vilest men are exalted.

Quote Originally Posted by RayKnobs View Post
    I don't think you understand how big this could be if denied. It so big it wouldn't cost you a dime.
    im with ray on this it is CRITICAL you say no

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast