New York Firearms Forum banner

Permit Application asking for Facebook password?

26K views 156 replies 63 participants last post by  Benellinut 
#1 ·
Hey guys so I'm applying for a pistol permit in Albany County in a surrounding city. I thought I completed the application to the point of meeting with the investigating officer until today when I went to do just that. I had the form filled out with all my references, notarized, photos taken, driving record, and safety course. I went in and the officer took my folder in the back and came out and told me I have a lot more work to do and hands me a new packet including the main form except this one is on a thicker paper. This packet includes the forms to give my references which I was expecting. On the front page of this packet in the last space it says Facebook and password.. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this even legal? I can see them wanting to look at my facebook but they actually want full access to it. I'm probably going to delete it at this point but wanted to know if this happens routinely? Also should I fill out the main form again on the hard paper or do you think what I have is fine. I'm questioning if this is even worth it after all this work it seems I'm back at square one.

#5 · (Edited)
Same. Never used it. Never will.
Same reason there are no pictures of me with firearms, anywhere.

That said...government asking for a password to a private account? Really?
Anyone else seen such a thing that can validate this?
(Sorry...just a bit skeptical about a first post with such an inflammatory tale.)

#6 ·
I have never heard of that. I can see looking at your facebook page but requesting your password? I would ask for clarification... Rule of thumb, NEVER GIVE OUT A PASSWORD.... To anything to anyone. What do they need it for? Where do they keep them? What prevents it from getting out? What prevents someone from changing your information?

#11 ·
I de activated mine about a year into my PP thinking my PD would request the same info. I have nothing to hide but would rather not be judged based on my Facebook friends. I would advise de activating it immediately and telling them that you do not use Facebook.

#12 ·
Wow!! Definitely, definitely don't bend over for that one! What a bunch of bull****. I never set up no facebok nothing and i never will. These generatio are soooo screwing themselves with all they put on social media..every boss or future boss and official world, checking up on what foolishness u be doin..what a crock!!

#13 ·
Without pics this thread is more like a fart in the breeze than anything to get up in arms about. On the facebook note, Ive been saying since the start of the interwebz that people should try their best not to have their online identity lead back to their real one. My facebook is under the name Eternal Shogun, is linked to an invalid roadrunner address that was never mine to begin with. Even my "real" email lists as a Miguel Sanchez lol.

#14 ·
Yea, same here but..you know daaaamn well they'll find us if they wanna find us,,im sure you've ordered stuff online using that bogus email to make an account to purchase and within that youv given address to ship which attached to that email..and blah blah blah..there's always a way though, even when we try our hardest..somewhere we slip up and that one slip attaches us to our other stuff,,

#32 ·
And if your sig line implies I'm a "troll" for coming on a forum which I lurk on frequently to ask a legitimate question....Wouldnt someone be more of a troll for immediately responding with name calling and a comment which adds nothing to the discussion?Just saying. I'm not looking to argue with anyone here and respect your opinions. That being said I do appreciate everyone's quick replies. I did post a picture of this paper in question that I received

#21 ·
Well i gotta say, that one post and disappear act is lil fishy but...i do recall the other poster who worried bout being downgraded if he buys a new gun in Albany County area..maybe they really are the peckerlickers of all the Northern Counties and really may be asking for FB stuff..although i find it lil hard to fathom.

#22 ·
It isn't fishy at all. Last year someone posted about being asked for their FB info, told the investigator they didn't have one, so the investigator asked if he could look at the wife's FB page. This is becoming extremely common in today's world, although generally moreso with employers. If your name is common enough, just say you do not have one if you don't post any pics or other info that could be used to ID you. If it could be used to ID you, deactivate it and say you do not have one. Yes, LIE. If you refuse to give access, the ******* investigator and judge will use it against you.

#25 ·
On the bright side. mazz is either a Cuomo Operative or Progressive kook. He figured that if he could post something so bizarre we would all fall for it and run with it while he could sit back and laugh.
I guess he doesn't know very well do he?

#57 ·
On the bright side. mazz is either a Cuomo Operative or Progressive kook. He figured that if he could post something so bizarre we would all fall for it and run with it while he could sit back and laugh.
I guess he doesn't know very well do he?[/QUOTE

To end most of the Trolls this forum could switch over to" INVITATION ONLY", where a currant member has to verify that you are worthy of being on this forum. I am on an invitation only forum and you don't see the BS like this happening to much. I'm sure the DickWad Govenor has his little pieces of chit patroling these gun forums.
Me to them, KISS MY MOTHER FU***** IRISH ASS!!!!!!!!!

#26 ·
Here's your options assuming this is true.... The best is the THIRD LINK listed below. Deactivating makes you appear to have no account but you can reactivate it later

1.Say NO I don't give out my passwords or private information. My account is set up so that only close friends can see what I post.
2.Get an attorney.
3.Archive off the contents of your Facebook account and delete it (there is a Facebook function to do that. Google it)
4.Write a letter to the Judge

Consult these three links:
What to Do When A Potential Employer Asks for Your Facebook Password
https://www.facebook.com/notes/face...ur-passwords-and-your-privacy/326598317390057
https://www.facebook.com/help/214376678584711

#27 ·
That would be an easy answer for me as I do not do Facebook.
For anyone who does do Facebook I would suggest giving the same answer that I would give.

#29 ·
Sorry guys I was away from my computer for a bit. No I didn't disappear and I'm not making this up by any stretch. I'm trying to do this in Watervliet which is part of Albany County... Here is a picture of the front page of the packet I was handed today.
. Rectangle Font Parallel Wood Paper

#62 · (Edited)
Sorry guys I was away from my computer for a bit. No I didn't disappear and I'm not making this up by any stretch. I'm trying to do this in Watervliet which is part of Albany County... Here is a picture of the front page of the packet I was handed today.
. View attachment 36269
Lawyer up young man. Many 2A lawyers will be interested in speaking with you. You may want to contact NYRSPA directly.
http://www.nysrpa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=81&Itemid=93

#34 ·
I will second this!!!

They have no right to ask for passwords of any kind.

They also should not be allowed to use anything posted on Facebook (short of direct threats to someone) as a reason for approval or denial of a permit. I would consider that a violation of the 1st, 4th, and 5th amendment. The reason I say this is a violation of those 3 amendments is because, if this stands, a government agent will be allowed to use both private and public discussions (remember FB has friends only and public options when posting), which can include political discussions when making a decision about your ability to exercise your 2nd amendment right. Using public postings on FB would violate the 1st amendment and using "friends only" and private conversation postings could violate the 4th amendment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.