Keep a round chambered!
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Major
    Member S.C.O.P.E.
    Observing, learning, acting.
    ----------------------------------------
    Nothing I have written or do write on these forums is legal advice.

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

Can't help it... always worth sharing this video when the "to chamber or not to chamber" topic comes up:

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.
    -Robert A. Heinlein

Postmaster General Darthgamer138's Avatar

I use an unloaded chamber in some guns sometimes. They hold my papers down so a stiff breeze doesn't blow them off the table.
    Proud NRA ​LIFETIME Non-​Member. Don't just support PART of the constitution. Be Skeptical.

​SEI Divemaster Apprentice/Nitrox Diver. Dives- ​I57. Proud Atheist.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Never hurts to have a visual reminder once in a while. Round in the pipe, external safety off at all times.
    All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope....

~Winston Churchill~

Every time this comes up, it boggles my mind that this is even a discussion.
    "Powder and artillery are the most efficacious, sure, and infallibly conciliatory measures we can adopt."
    - John Adams

www.bluelivesmatternyc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
    Every time this comes up, it boggles my mind that this is even a discussion.
    But, but, but..... if there's a round in the chamber, it might just go off..........
    All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope....

~Winston Churchill~

I agree to keep a round in the chamber but that guy was stabbed no matter what he was carrying whether it was chambered or not .

I am more impressed that the shooter let one+ fly with his buddy in the line of fire.

Private

Those dudes are still pretty bad ass........

love this, jeff cooper...

“In defense we do not initiate violence. We must grant our attacker the vast advantage of striking the first blow, or at least attempting to do so. But thereafter we may return the attention with what should optimally be overwhelming violence. “The best defense is a good offense.” This is true, and while we cannot apply it strictly to personal defensive conduct, we can propose a corollary: “The best personal defense is an explosive counterattack.””
    Je Suis 2nd Amendment

Certain fundamental rights are protected by the Constitution, put outside government’s reach, including the right to keep and bear arms

General

My BIL carries unchambered ALL of the time. I have shared my insight as well as videos to prove that I am correct and he is not. I have taught him, or attempted to, all that I can. He refuses to listen to reason. I have even tried to shame him into changing his ways.

He is convinced that he can chamber a round in time to defend himself.

Simply no point of carrying if you don't have one in the pipe, just remember finger off the trigger til you are ready to eliminate your intended target !

Even if not a time thing, you need to be able to fire one handed. The other hand may be holding someone off, or it might be unable to move for some reason.
    Proud NRA ​LIFETIME Non-​Member. Don't just support PART of the constitution. Be Skeptical.

Quote Originally Posted by goperfect View Post
    My BIL carries unchambered ALL of the time. I have shared my insight as well as videos to prove that I am correct and he is not. I have taught him, or attempted to, all that I can. He refuses to listen to reason. I have even tried to shame him into changing his ways.

He is convinced that he can chamber a round in time to defend himself.
    Sucks to be him then.
    Long Live NY Extremists FUAC

Quote Originally Posted by Darthgamer138 View Post
    Even if not a time thing, you need to be able to fire one handed. The other hand may be holding someone off, or it might be unable to move for some reason.
    Precisely this as well ^^^ And yet ANOTHER reason to make sure that external safeties (if equipped) are off.

~Winston Churchill~

Quote Originally Posted by dwa12479 View Post
    Precisely this as well ^^^ And yet ANOTHER reason to make sure that external safeties (if equipped) are off.
    Well, that depends on the firearm. I carry guns with no safety, but 1911s are supposed to be carried cocked and locked.

Question for those who carry hammer fired pistols, and I think applies to this conversation... When carrying with a loaded chamber and manual safety off, do you use a holster that has a strap covering the firing pin area so if there is an "accidental firing" the hammer won't hit the pin? I just got my first 1911 and curious about the style holster I should get since some are saying to carry cocked but no safety on. I assumed I would carry cocked and locked, but now I'm considering this alternative as well. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
    Question for those who carry hammer fired pistols, and I think applies to this conversation... When carrying with a loaded chamber and manual safety off, do you use a holster that has a strap covering the firing pin area so if there is an "accidental firing" the hammer won't hit the pin? I just got my first 1911 and curious about the style holster I should get since some are saying to carry cocked but no safety on. I assumed I would carry cocked and locked, but now I'm considering this alternative as well. Thanks
    MikeG, Regardless of the holster design, I would always have the thumb safety on over a loaded chamber.
    Pedro.
    SCOPE NRA GOA

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
    MikeG, Regardless of the holster design, I would always have the thumb safety on over a loaded chamber.
    Pedro.
    thats what I would have thought but figured I should be open to the alternative discussed above.

BANNED

Round in the pipe, external safety off at all times.
    You would be a brave but foolish person to carry a 1911 in the condition you mentioned.

Well, that depends on the firearm. I carry guns with no safety, but 1911s are supposed to be carried cocked and locked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn B View Post
    You would be a brave but foolish person to carry a 1911 in the condition you mentioned.
    Very true. I do not carry 1911's.

~Winston Churchill~

Very true. I do not carry 1911's.
    Not many people do with this superior new modern invention of a thing called a "Glock."

I carry hammer fired pistols that do not have external safeties (sigs and revolvers). Any quality 1911 should be safe to carry cocked and locked without having a retention strap on the holster. As long as the trigger guard is totally covered it should be fine. If a strap covers the firing pin area makes you move comfortable then get a holster that has one. Not needed but piece of mind can help reduce anxiety!
    "If I could have banned them all - 'Mr. and Mrs. America turn in your guns' - I would have!"
    - Diane Feinstein
    (I love Diane, that sexy angel)

Not many people do with this superior new modern invention of a thing called a "Glock."

You spelled Sig wrong.
    "If I could have banned them all - 'Mr. and Mrs. America turn in your guns' - I would have!"
    - Diane Feinstein
    (I love Diane, that sexy angel)

I rotate my EDC guns. Also, I always carry my favorite backup, an M&P Shield 9mm, in varied locations.

In warm weather, my principal carry is either a Ruger SP101 .357, or a S&W Model 66 .357 in a Desantis OWB holster (either right or left hand as I am ambidextrous) that completely covers the trigger, and with a thumb break strap behind (SP101) or covering (Model 66) the hammer.

In cooler weather when I wear a coat, I tend to carry either a Colt 1911 Commander or a Remington 1911 R1S cocked and locked in a Galco Fletch Hi Rise OWB holster that totally covers the trigger, and with the thumb break in front of the hammer. Both guns have ambi safeties on them, and I practice drawing them and dropping the safety off while acquiring the target and preparing to fire. That's how I was taught: if you feel the need to pull your gun, then you need to shoot it too. Drawing and then not shooting in self defense could get you arrested for brandishing.

While some advocate no external safety, I prefer to have one. It's your own personal choice, and YMMV. Training to sweep it off with my thumb as I draw, it has become second nature over time. Also, I like having the 1911 grip safety.

I like the Galco's a bit more than the Desantis ones, as they have a bit more clearance for my index finger. Also, the Desantis ones for the Model 66 have no tensioner, and are open under the trigger guard, essentially making the trigger guards just flaps. I took my holsters to a shoemaker shop and had them sew an added piece of leather on the underside of the trigger to enclose it completely.
    Last edited by VietnamEraVeteran; 11-09-2015 at 01:06 PM.
    This site is now owned by Vertical Scope. They are anti gun, IMHO. Google it for yourself. Feel free to join those of us who have moved over to ***************.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast