What are some good shtf items for the car?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Captain

Default What are some good shtf items for the car?

I'm in the process of buying my first car. Does anyone have advice on what survival items I should keep in the car aside from the normal jumper cables med kit etc?

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    General

I keep a lot of stuff in my Jeep.

I keep a couple gallons of water.I always have some food. Enough for at least two days. I have a change of cloths as well as an extra set of foot ware. I have a bunch of little things like string, rope and a few tools.

If I am going to be far from home, I take an extra gun as well as a few extra mags.

Every fall I check my vehicles over to be sure they are in excellent running condition before winter hits. Some of the things I keep in it include:

two flashlights, spare fuses and flashlight batteries, flares, hand tools such as a multi screwdriver, needle nose pliers, crescent wrench, vise grips, Leatherman, duct tape, fire extinguisher, washer fluid, 1 qt. of oil, rags, spare clothes, shoes, blanket, hats, and extra pairs of gloves.

I also keep a little food, gum in foil wrappers, and some paper.

We all hope we will never need any of them, but there have been times when they came in very handy, if not life saving, and it costs next to nothing to keep them in the car.
    This site is now owned by Vertical Scope. They are anti gun, IMHO. Google it for yourself. Feel free to join those of us who have moved over to ***************.com

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

ARA

My daily driver is a Utility truck with everything in it to build a house.

My wife's car looks like she already lives in it. Drives me nuts, but at least she has zero chance of freezing to death with all the clothes in there....

24 hour emergency rations are $5 and last for years in the back of a car, so get 1-2 of those. Emergency blankets, road flares, gloves, flash light are the essentials IMO People are like flies to s*@# when they see you pulled over. If you ever have to pull over due to break down put a road flare or two way, way behind your car to warn people to stop being stupid before they get near you.

Corporal

those mylar blankets, MRE's toolset, stabilized 5 gal jerry can of fuel. water.

Cell phone charger, electric tape, 1 gallon freezer weight plastic bags, couple of big ass plastic garbage bags, BIC lighters, hammer, paracord ot tarred mariners twine, a pinch of galvanized wire.

Good ole fashioned general road map of the area you travel and a compass.

You have to be inventive and see that many items are multi-functional.
    ======================================
    SCOPE/NRA/
    NRA Instructor/RSO
    Support your local FFL
    Save the environment, recycle; learn to reload.
    Certified Desk Pilot; multi engine rating.

Sergeant

LED Flashlight ( with magnet/ hook so I can work hands free under the hood)
    Portable 2 Ton floor jack (I don't care for the scissor jacks in the car)
    Bottle water
    Jumper cables
    Small Craftsman rachet set, Breaker bar, sm tool kit.
    Duck tape (has many uses)
    Tow rope
    Rubber cargo/trunk mat (can also be used as a floor mat it you need to work under the car)
    sm moving blanket (also can be used to keep warm)
    Bungee cord
    Nylon string (left over from Home Depot)
    pocket knife
    Cell phone charger
    Road flares
    Tire gauge
    Can of fix-a-flat & tire plug kit
    Quart of oil
    Disposable gloves & disposable painter suit (in case I have to crawl/work under the car.)
    Hand wipes (sm travel pk)
    an old towel/ Tee shirt for rags.
    First aid kit

A better battery is the CR123 type battery. They store better and put up with abuse.
    ======================================
    SCOPE/NRA/
    NRA Instructor/RSO
    Support your local FFL
    Save the environment, recycle; learn to reload.
    Certified Desk Pilot; multi engine rating.

Amazon.com: PowerAll PBJS12000R Rosso Red/Black Portable Power Bank and Car Jump Starter: Automotive

This. It can jump start your car, charge your phone, has a light and if you leave it charging in your car, it's always ready.

How do you guys store water in your car? Doesn't it freeze solid and crack the container?

Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by 944turbo View Post
    How do you guys store water in your car? Doesn't it freeze solid and crack the container?
    I don't bother in the winter. In the summer I keep a couple of bottles in a small cooler. Cooler has come in handy a few times.
    I keep a fold up rain coat in the back too.

General

Quote Originally Posted by 944turbo View Post
    I reuse water containers, when I refill them, I do not fill them all the way. If they freeze, there is some room for expansion.

Colonel

Today I was plowing snow on my tractor ... No cab . After about an hour and a half I was soaked. This afternoon I wore a rain coat that comes down over my knees . .. Kept me dry. I always keep a rain coat with a hood in my car. Change a tire in a driving rain and you will be glad you had one. .. A pair of boots works wonders also. https://www.zoro.com/tingley-overboo...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

How big of a car do guys have?
    Do you have room for anything else?

Sergeant

Everything fits in a med duffle bag under the right back seat of the SUV & the portable floor jack under the left back seat. You wouldn't even know it was there unless I had to fold the back seats down.
    You can find dead space around a vehicle... sides of the trunk, under the seats, glove box, spare tire compartment. Or you can wait for help.

When I was in the auto business- I've seen folks drive around w/ their beach chairs, baseball equipment in their car when the season was over. Or the folks that have a plies of cloths & shoes tossed about in their car. Or the folks that drive around w/ empty boxes from Costco/ Sam's club?
    Last edited by Maki00; 02-16-2016 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gtnorry View Post
    How big of a car do guys have?
    Do you have room for anything else?

Attachment 46291

Sergeant

My children have lived in Montreal,Chicago, out near Buffalo, Virgina, Philadelphia, and Albany. When they leave home I always make sure they have 2 sets of keys, very large (2Person) winter sleeping bag, wool army blanket, some basic tools, food, water,flashlights and hazard warning signs, rope shovel, tarp, a pair of FRS walkie talkies

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar Golf View Post
    My children have lived in Montreal,Chicago, out near Buffalo, Virgina, Philadelphia, and Albany. When they leave home I always make sure they have 2 sets of keys, very large (2Person) winter sleeping bag, wool army blanket, some basic tools, food, water,flashlights and hazard warning signs, rope shovel, tarp, a pair of FRS walkie talkies
    Walkies are a good idea. If you're with your family and need to go on foot and leave them in the car, for example, and cell towers are down/swamped, the walkies could be useful

I use My truck for work so it has all my tools and all of work gear like rain gear, cold weather jacket and bibs, winter boots and a variety of gloves for different situations. I'd say a few must haves are a change of clothes and footwear that match the weather, a lighter, knife or multi tool, a flashlight, a couple meal replacement bars and a jug of water. You can really go nuts depending on the space available in your vehicle and budget.
    "Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle-hardened. He will fight savagely."
    Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

^ I have the Henry survival rifle and it is not a bad little 22. Only complaint is the magazines are a pain to load with ammo.

I keep a sleeping bag, tent, car kit thing, baseball bat, fishing poles, tackle box and a box of cliff bars in the trunk.

Sergeant

After years of carrying around more "emergency" supplies in my car than i care to count i now carry everything i need in a vertx edc gamut backpack. my advice for you being that you live in the city would be to take a minimalist approach, because if there were to be some sort of emergency and you had to abandon your vehicle and walk home you are left with only the items you can carry. my suggestion would be to prioritize as follows:

first aid: either a medical bag, backpack (i use a 5.11 rush12 as a med bag), or a toolbox with lots of organization/dividers. this is the only area i haven't eliminated anything from because my first aid kit has come in handy the most out of everything i own, figure out what best suits you, learn about first aid and how to use stuff like splints/wraps etc...

"bug out bag": basically just what you need to leave your car behind and get home or to some other safe location, figure out what you absolutely need, and find a bag/organizer that suits your needs. keep in mid you live in the city so get a decent bag but not something that will draw any unwanted attention (tactical tailor urban operator pack has no visible molle/pals webbing and is good quality for 90 bucks on amazon)

vehicle emergency gear: i would say keep everything you need to change/reinflate a tire, jumpstart a battery, replace a headlight or tail light, and get unstuck, (a folding e-tool is a great option). i recommend picking up the blue fuel battery pack from napa (same as schumacker red fuel) just avoid the lithium polymer battery packs, lithium iron phoshate are safer in the event of failure and handle rapid hgih current discharge much better (LiFePo4)

everything else is a la carte, but you have to keep in mind that what works for someone living on a farm may not work for you in the city (such as storing 5 gallons of gas or water in your vehicle)..

I have a station wagon. I keep what I need in there to not to ever have to call AAA or phone a friend to bring me something if anything happens. The thing I don't have and is on my wishlist is a solar charger to do the battery or something of that sort.

Private

YouTube "get home bag" I did a lot of research and I think I have a good bag with med supplies, survival stuff, etc. I also have a trunk organizer with jumper cables, poncho, survival blankets, survival rations, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast