Remington 597 HB vs. Ruger 10/22 tactical/target
Close

Sergeant

Default Remington 597 HB vs. Ruger 10/22 tactical/target

Alright so I am picking up another target rifle and I have it narrowed down to a Remington 597 Heavy Barrel vs. the Ruger 10/22 tactical/target model. Now the Remington is about $225 cheaper but the Ruger comes with the bipod already installed, I am assuming that which ever model I get I will be getting the same scope to go with it. It will be taken to the range probably 1 - 2x a month. So between the two taking into account I want a scope and Bipod on each (will most likely be the only modifications made) and want to be accurate at a 50 yd range (perhaps longer down the road) would be the way to go. Keep in mind I have it narrowed down to these two firearms so please only suggestions and discussions between these two, I did my research and between personal preference, intended use and cost these are the two I am down to. Durability and reliability are two big factors as well....

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Colonel

The 597's have always been plagued with problems, from bolt hold open springs breaking and magazine/feeding issues to name a few.

Personally i would run with the 10/22 all day. It's been around for 50 years and it'll continue to be the top selling .22 for some time.

10/22 hands down!

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

The Ruger, every day of the week.

10/22 has tons of aftermarket parts and upgrades if you want to go that route, or you can just leave it stock.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."

Mark Twain

Sergeant

Ruger 10-22

General

10/22, absolutely!

Ask us a tougher one!

The ruger 10/22 is one of the most reliable rifles ever made. My pops has had one for almost 40 years and its seen countless rounds and hes never done more than clean the bore on occassion and put a couple drops of oil in the action every few years and it always runs!
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace"
    All statements and opinions made here are for discussion purposes only, and not meant to promote any illegal behavior or activity.

Sergeant

Alright look like I delay it a couple of months and save up the money for the Ruger...

I have 3 10/22's and 1 Rem 597 LS HB 22 magnum ( I couldn't fined a 10/22 magnum!)

if you look around you can get a 50th anniversary 10/22 for 199$ with a beach stock, a scope mount and the extended mag release...here is mine(4-5 months old)

How much is the 10/22 model if the Remington is $225 cheaper? For that kind of price difference, you may just be able to pick up a used or new 10/22, slap it in a Boyds stock and get a decent heavy profile barrel. Maybe it is just me, but about the only thing that is really decent about stock, entry level 10/22s is the receiver, bolt and magazine system. The trigger is mediocre, and the barrels could be more useful as a hammer or plant stake then a precision rifle barrel. Maybe the heavy barrel models are much better.

Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by pseudonymity View Post
    How much is the 10/22 model if the Remington is $225 cheaper? For that kind of price difference, you may just be able to pick up a used or new 10/22, slap it in a Boyds stock and get a decent heavy profile barrel. Maybe it is just me, but about the only thing that is really decent about stock, entry level 10/22s is the receiver, bolt and magazine system. The trigger is mediocre, and the barrels could be more useful as a hammer or plant stake then a precision rifle barrel. Maybe the heavy barrel models are much better.
    10/22 model I want (10/22 tactical/target) is MSRP $579 but so far the 3 LGS's I have looked at said they sell it for $450 - $470...noone really carries the model in stock although they appear to be fairly easy to order...it's not looking like Cabela's or Gander Mountain even carry it via a web search...

Quote Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
    The 597's have always been plagued with problems, from bolt hold open springs breaking and magazine/feeding issues to name a few.

Personally i would run with the 10/22 all day. It's been around for 50 years and it'll continue to be the top selling .22 for some time.
    I've heard the same thing about 597. I'd go for a 10/22 first and a Marlin 60 second

Sergeant

I have a 597, synthetic stock in 22 mag it seems to work OK, no problems yet. now that amo can be found I'll get to shoot it more.
    What I don't like about it is the bolt handle, it is a slip fit and has popped off a few times. Something to be carefull of not to lose.
    Out of the box the gun seemed cheap. and the action was rough like all the stamped parts had burrs on them. 150 rounds fixed that. Also it shot high to the right at 50yds.

I would sugest a 22 from Magnum Reasurch.

I have both the 597 and 10/22 in the magnum models. I have the 10/22 in LR version . My boy has the 597 in both the LR and MAG versions. They all seem to work well. Of course they are we're all made before 2003.
    Manus haec inimica tyrannis
    The only cure for the liberal/progressive minded is; to put them into a situation where they have to rely on their own advice and theories to defend themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by nmal524 View Post
    10/22 model I want (10/22 tactical/target) is MSRP $579 but so far the 3 LGS's I have looked at said they sell it for $450 - $470...noone really carries the model in stock although they appear to be fairly easy to order...it's not looking like Cabela's or Gander Mountain even carry it via a web search...
    My choice would be to pick up the least expensive model 10/22 you can find locally - probably looking at around $250. Then buy a ER Shaw .920 barrel and VQ target hammer from Midway, a stock from Boyds and put it all together in an hour sitting at the kitchen table.

Maybe around $500 in parts, shipping and the gun and you have a decent rimfire rifle with the kind of stock best fits your purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by pseudonymity View Post
    My choice would be to pick up the least expensive model 10/22 you can find locally - probably looking at around $250. Then buy a ER Shaw .920 barrel and VQ target hammer from Midway, a stock from Boyds and put it all together in an hour sitting at the kitchen table.

Maybe around $500 in parts, shipping and the gun and you have a decent rimfire rifle with the kind of stock best fits your purpose.
    I picked-up a 1976 model a few years back at the Saratoga Gun Show for a pre-ban build (when that meant something!) put a ER Shaw .920 barrel on it, a friend did a trigger job (1.5 lbs) extended mag release and a Blackhawk Axiom stock! Today it's in a Hogue stock (post SAFE-ACT) As posted above I agree with the choice of the ER Shaw barrel and I looking to get a Boyds tactical stock in the future!

Colonel

have you seen the new 10/22 LVT model? it has the walnut checkered stock with rubber buttpad, factory target trigger and medium profile heavy barrel without iron sights. i Just ordered one from buds!

Ruger 10/22 LVT 22LR Matte Blue $297.00 SHIPS FREE

Jeff at gunblast reviewed them and they are good to go! New Ruger 10/22 Light Varmint/Target Rifles from AcuSport

I own a 597 in 22 mag. Shoots great and never had any problems with it.
    S.A.F.E ACT

S.tealing A.rms F.rom E.veryone. A.ndrew C.uomo's T.reachery

I had a Rem. 597 in .22 LR several years ago, and no matter how well I cleaned & lubed it I could never fire 10 rounds out of it without it jamming. Bought a Ruger 10/22 and never had any issues with it.