10/22 - 17 mach2 barrel
Close

Default 10/22 - 17 mach2 barrel

A local guy here has a 17 mach2 barrel for a 10/22 that he wants to sell, any one have that set up? He's asking $250 for it. Kind of curious about this set up. Do they cycle OK, and are they accurate? It should be a great round for squirrel hunting.
    Walk Light, Carry a Big Stick & Never Walk Away, Teddy Roosevelt
    Don't Take Your Guns To Town, Johnny Cash http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMMp_llzBT4
    NRA, WAC "Washington Arms Collectors"
    1 million people attended Obama's inauguration, but only 14 had to miss work

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

Can you still find ammo for it?

If you can't find 400 rounds for it right off the bat, I would not pull the trigger on it. My rule of thumb when grabbing a new caliber is to have 1500 rounds for it before buying the gun.
    Manus haec inimica tyrannis
    The only cure for the liberal/progressive minded is; to put them into a situation where they have to rely on their own advice and theories to defend themselves.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

I have a deal going on for 1'000 rounds, two bricks of ammo. It is hard to find, I've been looking for two years and only found one box of fifty. It's on the high side, but when it's non-existant the price goes up.
    Don't Take Your Guns To Town, Johnny Cash http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMMp_llzBT4

I have never seen the ammo. You will also need a new bolt or modify the existing bolt to run it in a 10/22 standard receiver. It needs more mass to handle the higher pressure.

Would hope it doesn't go the way of the 5mm, How many years was it before Centurion Ammo reintroduced that round?

17hm2 is on its way out. I think there is only 1 manufacturer making it now and in limited quantities.

Even if ammo was available I still wouldn't build one. I did some serious research about a year ago because I was planning on building one. The possibility of having rounds blow up in my face was a big deal breaker. Besides shooting a bomb sometimes they can be very hard to even get to cycle correctly. Companies quit making them for a reason in a semi auto.

I'm going to pass on it, As hard a time I had tracking down ammo for it, the gun will be useless after you shoot the ammo you have.

Thank you guys for your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by HighlandLofts View Post
    I'm going to pass on it, As hard a time I had tracking down ammo for it, the gun will be useless after you shoot the ammo you have.

Thank you guys for your comments.
    Good choice. You would probably end up having to re barrel it back to a 22 like a lot of guys have or are doing.

If I ever come across some reasonable 17HMR ammo I'll pick up a bolt action rifle. The guy that has the two bricks of ammo wants HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS per brick. What a joke.

Some day in might become available at a reasonble price if some one decides to make a few runs of it.

Quote Originally Posted by HighlandLofts View Post
    If I ever come across some reasonable 17HMR ammo I'll pick up a bolt action rifle. The guy that has the two bricks of ammo wants HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS per brick. What a joke.

Some day in might become available at a reasonble price if some one decides to make a few runs of it.
    As far as I am concerned, 17HMR is the only viable 17 caliber in the market today.

Quote Originally Posted by RandallOfLegend View Post
    As far as I am concerned, 17HMR is the only viable 17 caliber in the market today.

17HMR is a great round, I have the stainless Marlin bolt action and love it. I've used it on several smaller pest over at the dairy farm. The ammo for the 17HMR is readily avalible out here in my local area. I'd like the 17 mach 2 just for kicks and to occasionally use on rats, pigeons and other small things that need to be taken care of at the farm. But as of now it's a thing way on the back burner unill I get a stock pile of a coule thousand rounds then the rifle.