Where can someone in Buffalo go to shoot outdoors?
Close

Private

Default Where can someone in Buffalo go to shoot outdoors?

NY ain't AZ. I'm still getting used to the guns laws around here. I'm looking for an outdoor spot to pop off a few rounds. I've poked around on this site, and it seems the alabama swamps are an option. Any other recommendations? Probably looking for places within about an hour of Buffalo, but would consider slightly longer for a gem!
    Thanks!
    P.S. I'm definitely a 'cleaner that when I arrived' kind of shooter.

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

Alabama Swamps. Search Google maps for Bartel Rd, Newstead, NY. Free shooting between Noon and dusk. 4 lanes, get there early to claim a spot and post up here when you go, lots of us like to meet up out there.

Or, if you really meant Buffalo, I'd suggest the East Side. There's shooting there all the time!

ETA... Just checked Google maps, there's street view there now so you can see exactly what it looks like.
    Last edited by androokwomo; 12-02-2015 at 09:25 AM.
    Heh!!

Make friends with someone who owns land in the southern tier otherwise your best bet is the Alabama swamps.
    "Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle-hardened. He will fight savagely."
    Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

I was in Buffalo once and I went around a square with a monument in the middle of it. That seems like a good place to pop off a few rounds!

On a serious note, if you are ever in the Waterloo/Geneva area, let me know.. You can be my guest at my club as long as your weapons are in accordance with NY restrictions..

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle G View Post
    NY ain't AZ. I'm still getting used to the guns laws around here. I'm looking for an outdoor spot to pop off a few rounds. I've poked around on this site, and it seems the alabama swamps are an option. Any other recommendations? Probably looking for places within about an hour of Buffalo, but would consider slightly longer for a gem!
    Thanks!
    P.S. I'm definitely a 'cleaner that when I arrived' kind of shooter.
    I moved from Arizona to New York as well. Im glad to see Im not the only one with a mental disorder.

Public land allows shooting, doesn't it? Not all of it does and you can't shoot in certain locations I believe. I also tend to not go shooting for fun around gun season for deer just because I don't want to scare them off.

PA has lots of open land too but that's ~2 hours south of Buffalo. The ranges around me I either can't get a hold of or don't allow public shooting (need membership).
    Here's the DEC info on public lands: Places to Hunt in New York - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation
    State parks: Regions - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

It wouldn't even hurt to call and ask where you can target shoot for fun.

I've got 30 acres south of Springville and I've talked to the wife about setting up a range on part of out property for public use. something like $10/year membership just so we know who's doing it.

Infact, just because of this post, I just got off the phone with the DEC & ordered the "ask" stickers to put on our posted signs.

Id love somewhere else to shoot. I go to Wolcott as much as I can but it gets expensive.

Just google mapped that place. Holy crap, two hour drive! I'm sure there's shooting clubs much closer then that with ranges! Springville has the Field and Stream club and it's soooooo much closer (only ~30 minutes south). You need to pay to join as it's a private club. there's also a range in Machias & Ellicottville.

Private

niagara county sportsmen's association in niagara county. has everything you need including a 300 yrd range

Looked in to NY Sportsman Guide that NY puts out. there's two ranges that offer public time in the Erie County area (because they get state DEC grants, so they need to offer public time).

According to that, the Townawanda Sportsman Club in North & Hawkeye Bowmen in Marilla both offer public range time.

You live in Cattaraugus County... ask around, make friends with the gun shop, surely their is a farmer or timber owner or gravel pit....
    plink

Join Evans rod and gun club. The range is open from dusk till dawn everyday, with a few exceptions. the range stretches out to 250yds and can be as close as 5yds
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
    - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, December 20, 1787

Corporal

There are a lot of nice clubs around for sure but for me you just can't beat setting up your own range on private land. Ive been looking at the local clubs and can't find any nearby that allow steel targets which i guess i understand. The swamps are an option but that place seems a little like a wild west show on the weekends...Happy Friar i would definitely take you up on your range idea...i'd pay more than $10 too, in fact i posted a Craigslist add looking for something like that hoping a local farmer will respond.

JG

Quote Originally Posted by Frankly View Post
    You live in Cattaraugus County... ask around, make friends with the gun shop, surely their is a farmer or timber owner or gravel pit....
    I'm in Catt County, OP in Buffalo. I've got the land.

Quote Originally Posted by JG4660 View Post
    There are a lot of nice clubs around for sure but for me you just can't beat setting up your own range on private land. Ive been looking at the local clubs and can't find any nearby that allow steel targets which i guess i understand. The swamps are an option but that place seems a little like a wild west show on the weekends...Happy Friar i would definitely take you up on your range idea...i'd pay more than $10 too, in fact i posted a Craigslist add looking for something like that hoping a local farmer will respond.
    JG
    Maybe offer to the farmer to eliminate varmints at the same time? I've got the ASK DEC things to stable to posted signs. I currently don't have many posted signs up, but the only reason to put them up is because my kids like to go up and play in the woods. I obviously don't want an accident (kids don't go up during shotgun/rifle deer season). The biggest issue with shooting on my land is the only driveway access is right next to me house & you can't shoot ~700 feet from that driveway anyway. My wife and I have talked and we have no issues with people we feel are responsible doing things on the land if they ASK. I didn't see any specifics about no liability of people shooting for fun in the "reaction" part of the ASK pamphlet but maybe I missed it. I'll have to look again.

With something like shooting (vs hiking) I'd want to know when/where and with what. I want to try to not get irate neighbors too.

If you want to shoot sometime let me know. I belong to Hartland CC in Gasport. I can take you as a guest. 25-100 yrd outdoor. Need paper targets. Target holders are provided.
    GUN CONTROL IS NOT ABOUT GUNS ..................... IT IS ABOUT CONTROL
    LIFE IS TOUGH ........................................ IT'S EVEN TOUGHER WHEN YOU'RE STUPID

Come down to Chautauqua Co, all state land allows shooting.
    I have land that people can shoot on but I also have horse trails that several neighbors use, and alot of livestock to avoid. I do have several ranges set up which are quite a hike to get to but available for shooting. All NY legal guns and calibers welcomed. Also several nice campsites with fresh spring water.
    It will cost you though......I wanna shoot any cool guns you bring. Oh, and no explosives, it spooks a couple of the horses for days. They dont mind .50 caliber gun shots or rapid fire but multiple explosions spook them for some reason.

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by Robhimself View Post
    Id love somewhere else to shoot. I go to Wolcott as much as I can but it gets expensive.
    It sure does! I know of a cheap option near your area. Send me a PM if you want the details.

Private

Member of Springville Field and Stream with an unrestricted NYS CC permit seeks to plink tin cans and maybe a spinner with my Ruger Single 9 or Ruger 2245. Where is your "just ask" property located? Live in Springville. Thank You!

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by Zipper View Post
    Member of Springville Field and Stream with an unrestricted NYS CC permit seeks to plink tin cans and maybe a spinner with my Ruger Single 9 or Ruger 2245. Where is your "just ask" property located? Live in Springville. Thank You!
    This thread is 4 yrs old

Private

25, 50 and 100 yrd ranges, two trap stations and archery. Meetings are the first Thurs of the Month at 7 pm. Do two work details and get a ket to the gate.

Private

Writing from Springville, whereabouts in West Valley is your property? Thank you to The Happy Friar,