PLACES TO SHOOT in Westchester NY?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: PLACES TO SHOOT in Westchester NY?

Private

Default PLACES TO SHOOT in Westchester NY?

I am new to all this so please bare with me. where can we shoot in Westchester, NY ?
    .... after waiting 1 YEAR and 1 month from first application, I just got my permit. Not a fun or easy process, BUT! My permit says ? "Sportsperson" NOT "range" or "target"?? What are the different types of permits and what to they mean, I mean where can I carry my firearm? Can I only "carry" it to the range, or to my camping trip, or hunting? PLMK I mean i'm happy to have ANY permit after that wait and process !! but not sure where I am allowed to carry.

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

You can carry your firearm in the feild while hunting.

You can carry it around your house.

You can carry it at the range in a manner consistant with range policy.

I'd keep it in a case and unloaded everywhere else.

Welcome to the Empire State.

Westchester has a county park with a pistol range. Try searching for Blue Mountain near Peakskill.

There is a fine pistol range in Monroe. Look for Master Class.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Private

I'm pretty sure most of NY's counties issue unrestricted (not sure if I'm using the correct term there) permits by default. This means that you are entitled to CCW in public, carry/use at home, carry/use at a range, carry/use in the field (you don't have to be hunting). In fact some counties even allow open carry be default, but I wouldn't advise doing that unless you are 100% sure it wouldn't generate a s$*t storm.

This is kind of getting into shaky territory here, but open carrying (any NY legal firearm, not just pistols) is generally allowed while "afield" on state land. There are a few exceptions, such as certain campgrounds and parks, and a few select trails in the ADK's (i think it mostly has to do with AMR land in the ADK's, which is basically an easement). So no, you don't need to be hunting to openly carry pistol, or rifle for that matter, while out in the woods. Again, common sense comes into play here. I would have no issues open carrying a rifle to do some target shooting in the ADK's, but open carrying a firearm along a crowded state beach might raise some eyebrows.

Your best bet OP is to contact your local county clerk's office and clarify the meaning of your specific permit.

Captain

Go to blueline tactical in elms ford great staff out there

I'll tell you where not to shoot. DO NOT go to Thunder Mountain in Ringwood, NJ...just over the Rockland County, NY border. The guy who runs it is real douche. The woman in there is ok sometimes, and the kids who run the fields are all cool, but that guy is a pc of work. He reminds me of Davey Deals from Pawn Stars. Really annoying. He hounds you about buying ammo...and constantly tries to up-sell you. Shut the f8ck up already. If we want something we'll buy it. I get it, you got a ton of people coming in renting guns, buying ammo, and whatever else they didn't have, so this is your chance to price gauge them and pray on their inexperience, but you don't need to repeat yourself over and over. Better off going to Blue Mountain, Blueline, or Pioneer Shooting Center in Mt. Vernon. You do get the occasional tool over at Blue Mountain who have no lives and go there every weekend and like to wear patches on their vests and laugh at newbies. These guys have no lives and love to break out their expensive gun and shoot two games. Miserable pricks who take up space and can't hold a conversation.

Sergeant

There is a 25 yard range opening up in carmel soon not sure exact date. Check out blue moutain best range for the price. Blueline has a bunch of assholes an they charge $40 for one hour. Big ripoff.
    ladder13 likes this.

Corporal

parks: Blue Mountain Sportsman Center in Peekskill (outdoor)
    Coyne Park in Yonkers (indoor)
    R&T Smoke (Yonkers)
    Blueline Tactical (Elmsford)

RT Smoke is Mt. Vernon, not Yonkers. And, their shooting center is called Pioneer shooting center.

Private

I live in Rockland but I love Blue Mountain. Really reasonable and the Range Masters are all really nice a very helpful. I had a very enjoyable time there. I like to go to Davis in Goshen but it's a real ride and the Range Master there rubs some people the wrong way. I have never had a problem with him and if you follow the rules neither will you. Some people just go there with an attitude and think they know it all. Even if you do why be abrasive? Just follow the rules and have fun. I have taken my kids there and they have always had a good time. Davis is not cheap either buts it's a 100 yard indoor range. Some people have mentioned other places but I can't comment on them since I haven't been there.

Private

Joined Blue Tactical as a member, First time shooting there and RSO's were great. Offered me advice and tools to sight in my AR and left me alone afterwards. Cleared my own chambers and asked i had to verify or tell them i was done, nope just pack and leave. You can shoot at Blue tactical as a non member but it's a little pricey, believe around $40 for an hour.

If your looking for a great price, blue mountain is amazing.

Private

I shoot at blueline sometimes. im not a member and they charge $30 an hour.
    They have nice friendly staff at the range, I never had problems with the RSO's. the older RSO gentleman is very nice actually. always makes sure i have everything set and comfortable before shooting and then leaves me alone. never had a problem with them.
    The people at the shop on the other hand is a completely different story, very snobby and wouldnt even ask a customer if they needed help.

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1389 View Post
    There is a 25 yard range opening up in carmel soon not sure exact date. Check out blue moutain best range for the price. Blueline has a bunch of assholes an they charge $40 for one hour. Big ripoff.

Where in carmel?

Quote Originally Posted by Riverrat View Post
    Where in carmel?
    Yes I would love to know.

I shoot at Wooster mountain in Danbury and Shooters indoor in New Milford CT for pistol.
    NRA, SCOPE ,CCDL, NYSRPA .

Quote Originally Posted by Compufxr View Post
    I like to go to Davis in Goshen but it's a real ride and the Range Master there rubs some people the wrong way. I have never had a problem with him and if you follow the rules neither will you.
    The guys a teddy bear when people listen and follow the rules. I love the guy. He's forgotten more about shooting than most people will ever know.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverrat View Post
    Where in carmel?
    Paladin
    https://www.paladincenterny.com/serv...irearms-center
    In case of an emergency blood type HK

Corporal

I've been to Blue Mountain four times. Three bad experiences caused by dickish ROs. One good experience.

Wooster Mountain is good for rifle but you I don't think you can can bring your pistol into CT.

Blueline is expensive.

There are some pretty reasonably priced private clubs in Putnam and Orange. If you go shooting ten times a year, I think they would be worth it. I joined one and I think it worked out pretty well.

Private

Where can you find out about the certain trails in the ADK? I am also new to permit and looking for a few gun clubs to get involved with so I can get my restrictions removed. I do a lot of hiking and camping in the ADK and well thats 1 of the reasons I decided to get my CC license. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Corporal

I went to RT/Pioneer to go shooting and was too put off by the neighborhood to park my car and take a gun case out. Is it safe to walk around there?

Private

Quote Originally Posted by class3 View Post
    I went to RT/Pioneer to go shooting and was too put off by the neighborhood to park my car and take a gun case out. Is it safe to walk around there?
    That corner of W 1st in Mt. Vernon is far from the best place in Westchester, but it looks worse than it really is. Most people in the neighborhood are good people, know why you're there and won't bother you for the obvious reasons.

I grew up just a few blocks away and have had zero issues on several trips while carrying a range bag or cases for firearm transfer. Remember the police HQ is almost within visual range.

Safety focused range and the folks that operate the range and store are very helpful. Kindness is returned, so is attitude. Just be nice to your fellow NY gun owners.

Private

I agree with SigCc. I shoot at Pioneer almost every week. At first the area did make me a little alert, but Ive never had any type of issue. There is usually meter parking either on the same street or around the corner so you really shouldnt be walking much with your gun case. On many occations, there have been policr officers driving by or parked by the meters doing their own thing and waive at you when you pass by with your guns. In my opinion, great place to shoot.

Corporal

Ok, I am glad to hear and I will drive over there later this afternoon for a try. The day I drove past I went to Coyne Park and it was a let down so I still need to find a good range that's closer to me than Blueline.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by class3 View Post
    Ok, I am glad to hear and I will drive over there later this afternoon for a try. The day I drove past I went to Coyne Park and it was a let down so I still need to find a good range that's closer to me than Blueline.
    Blueline is about as close as a range can get to being in my own backyard, but I won't shoot there. Its a great range, but It's just too darn expensive.

Pioneer is my secondary for when Blue Mountain is closed.

Major

Where in Westchester are you located? if a trip to monroe NY is not too much go to master class,
    Gun store in Monroe, NY | Master Class Shooters Supply

There isa RO named Jim Introduce yourself as a new to hand gun owner and he will walk you thru everything. Well worth the trip the man is very talented and also has the patience of a saint

i go to pioneer center in mt. vernon. its kind of in the "hood" but still a legit spot. meter parking. you might worry about parking your car there but nothing has ever happened. maybe because people know the cars there are gun owners lol. everybody friendly and they let you shoot from the holster if they feel you're capable and have some experience & even do rapid fire. best priced i feel. if you're going to go often like i do, do the 1yr membership. $400yr then $10/hr for the lane. non members are $30/hr.
    never been to blue mtn is elmsford, i hear very modernized but staff is 50/50. def little pricey.
    Last edited by mikepkf; 08-17-2017 at 09:35 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast