Ranges to shoot a Mossberg Shockwave?
Close

Private

Default Ranges to shoot a Mossberg Shockwave?

I bought a Shockwave a few months ago, hoping mostly to run some birdshot through it as a fun gun. I have other options for home defense, such as a "bigger brother" Mossberg 500 pump shotgun.

Unfortunately, I found out after the fact that only one range in Rockland (RISE in Pearl River) will let me shoot it there, and only with slugs. Aside from the recoil, slugs get expensive in a hurry.

So, I'm looking for anywhere near Rockland County that will let me shoot the thing, with birdshot. I already inquired at Master Class in Goshen and at Blue Mountain in Westchester. Also asked Davis. All said "no."

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

If I can't find somewhere to shoot it, I may well just sell it off.

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

It is not so much that it's a Shockwave no indoor range will let you shoot bird or buck shot. Some will probably let you shoot slugs out of it. Hudson Valley Shooting Sports in Carmel will most likely let you shoot it with slugs, possibly Blue Line in Elmsford as well.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by 914Tony View Post
    It is not so much that it's a Shockwave no indoor range will let you shoot bird or buck shot. Some will probably let you shoot slugs out of it. Hudson Valley Shooting Sports in Carmel will most likely let you shoot it with slugs, possibly Blue Line in Elmsford as well.
    Not too long ago, both Master Class and The Firing Line (now RISE) had no issues with birdshot and buckshot indoors. I used to go to both ranges to pattern my shotguns. I can certainly understand why they changed policies, with folks shooting too high and tearing up the target system overhead.

Other than RISE, the other ranges also won’t let you shoot a shotgun that lacks a shoulder stock...so no Shockwave or pistol-grip shotguns allowed. Again, I can understand why, as lack of control with inexperienced shooters can cause a safety risk.

Maybe I should look into shooting this “firearm” on state land, or a private gun club?

Anyone who owns a Shockwave or TAC14 in downstate NY with suggestions...I’m all ears!

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

M_F

Same issue with the shockwave here on long island, only Calverton out east will let you shoot it.

Colonel

I think the problem is the electronic equipment and target carriers get damaged. You need to find a little local gun club to join that only allows lead shot and go when others are not shooting. There are plenty of clubs like that around me where you can join for under $100 per year. They are very basic and you just go there to shoot at a metal backstop. You walk down and tape your target on something. I would think those places would allow you to do that. I have never asked since most of my stuff is jacketed and I shoot at my parents country property.

Private

Did you every track down a place to shoot birdshot? I live in Rockland also and while everything is currently closed, I will need a place to go out and pattern a new shotgun using some birdshot and buck shot. There is Thunder Mountain in Ringwood but it doesn't sound like you can do anything except skeet/trap shooting there.

Private

I belong to a club in Orange County and we can only shoot shot at our patterning range. I think your only option is to join a club. Look around and check them out. If you shoot a lot you’ll more than make your money back. My club has everything I need, ranges, trap, archery ranges and thousands of acres to hunt.