outdoor shooting near onondaga county
Close

Private

Default outdoor shooting near onondaga county

I want to take my son out to teach him the basics of shooting, safety etc. just with a 22 single shot....

I am looking for a legal place to go where I will not be breaking any laws etc. - but not a private range....just outside.

Anyone have any ideas for anyplace in/near onondaga county? I don't feel like getting harrased with all the dust up at the moment....

Thanks for any ideas anyone has....

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Corporal

which part of onondaga county?

Private

I've heard the state land off Sixty Road in Van Buren is not posted restricted and is therefor shooter friendly, but have not investigated it myself. Quick check of the DEC website shows it is relatively isolated and should be safe to shoot. I have a day off next week and was planning on scoping the area out. I will let everyone know what I find, unless someone already knows the latest and can share....

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

I've shot at the Three Rivers Wildlife Management area in Baldwinsville (the one mentioned on Sixty Road). It's fine to shoot there. Never had any problems.

Just use common sense, safety rules, etc. Clean up after yourself when you're done (police your brass, etc...) and for the most part no one should bother you.

Three Rivers Wildlife Management Area Map - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

I usually go in the northern most gate on the east side on Sixty Road if it's open and take the road almost to the end. Some natural berms in that area.
    TRUMP 2020 - because Fvck you again!! Fvck You Andrew Cuomo - go suck it!!

Private

Theres a good location at Three Rivers if you park at the intersection between sixty road and kellogg road in the small parking lot. Follow the path southwest into the woods and continue west until you see a narrow clearing lane heading north to south. Turn south and fire that way. Theres a berm and area that looks like people shoot alot towards the north, but on the other side of it is a road. Please don't shoot that way. Wear long pants tucked into boots because I received three ticks when I went last fall.

I used to shoot out in the three rivers/Sixty rd. area when I was a kid. There used to be a gravel pit up the road from Kellog rd. on Sixty rd.on the right side of the road. You all would be much better served now a days by joining a local club like Baldwinsville R&G or Camillus R&G.
    Yes it is still legal to shoot out at the Three rivers area but in todays climate and with the weather turning nicer I would be VERY careful. A lot of people from the Radisson area walk their dogs and such out there and most are unfriendly to somebody with firearms. I have even been verbally insulted while bird hunting out there during the season. There are a couple of places on Kellog rd. where you can shoot but, I've seen people out and about in the pines on nice days on both sides of the road there.

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by RSBH44; 04-25-2013 at 08:55 PM.
    Free Men Do Not Ask Permission To Bear Arms.
    NRA- LIFE
    GOA
    SCOPE
    NYSRPA

Two great places. I deer hunt them both but for anybody in Onon. Cnty. to drive there just to do some plinking is a 45 minute drive. One way.
    Free Men Do Not Ask Permission To Bear Arms.
    NRA- LIFE
    GOA
    SCOPE
    NYSRPA

Quote Originally Posted by RSBH44 View Post
    Two great places. I deer hunt them both but for anybody in Onon. Cnty. to drive there just to do some plinking is a 45 minute drive. One way.

Ahh well it is very close to the onon / cayuga line....I'll be going near frozen ocean to dig some horseradish

Private

I am new guys so don't tar and feather me but do anyone know if you need a hunting license just to target shoot?

Private

No hunting license required to target shoot.