Ranges near NYC - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ranges near NYC

Captain

For the coyne park rifle range what kind of range is it? outdoor indoor or outdoor inclosed

Quote Originally Posted by blindshooter View Post
    For the coyne park rifle range what kind of range is it? outdoor indoor or outdoor inclosed
    Indoor.
    7 lanes, I think.
    15 yards (about).
    Pistol calibers only.
    .22 rifles allowed.
    Hey, Liberals....George Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a work of fiction.
    NOT an instruction manual.

Coyne Park Rifle and Pistol Range
    Coyne Park Range: Pistol and Rifle Shooting
    Call Chris with any questions, he is a really good guy.
    C.B.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

If you want to goto Queens, There's a gun club in Middle Village, Stuyvesant Rod and Gun Club.
    It's $225 a year and you shoot whenever, no additional fees when you show up to shoot.
    Indoor and you can shoot some rifle and all pistol, magnum loads are on specific days.
    Neighborhood is clean and decent parking in the area.
    I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by Buddahbelly88 View Post
    If you want to goto Queens, There's a gun club in Middle Village, Stuyvesant Rod and Gun Club.
    It's $225 a year and you shoot whenever, no additional fees when you show up to shoot.
    Indoor and you can shoot some rifle and all pistol, magnum loads are on specific days.
    Neighborhood is clean and decent parking in the area.
    I believe there is an additional initiation fee of about 50 bucks as well so first year will be about $275 with $225 being the renewal fee l. I wish it was a bit more updated as it basically looks like someone put a shooting range in their bomb shelter. Also since its not a storefront it seems like they are a bit more lax with their hours. I passed by on Monday to drop off an application at 7pm which is the time they open on Mondays (hours are 7pm-10pm on Monday). I hung around until 7:30 and nobody showed up so I left. Called from home until about 8:30 and never got an answer so I'm not sure if they ever showed up.
    It sucks that there is such a lack of quality shooting ranges in Queens

Stuyvesant
    Pros:
    Location (for me its maybe 10 minutes and it looks to be a nice neighborhood)
    Reasonable yearly membership
    No additional range fees
    Free targets
    Open Sunday
    Can shoot magnums (for those who care about that, I only have a .40 cal so doesn't matter to me)

Cons:
    Old and outdated
    No ammo
    No gun rentals

Woodhaven
    Pros:
    I believe they have 20+ shooting points
    Reasonable yearly membership
    A bit more updated than Stuyvesant including motorized target movers
    They sell guns, ammo, etc
    They rent handguns for $5

Cons:
    Not as good a neighborhood as Stuyvesant
    Much worse parking situation
    $4 range fee every time you go on top of yearly membership
    Pay for targets
    Closed on Sundays

Captain

What's the staff like and do they mind if you bring your friends and let them shoot a .22?

Private

Quote Originally Posted by blindshooter View Post
    What's the staff like and do they mind if you bring your friends and let them shoot a .22?
    I only spoke to the one guy who was there when I first went in to check the place out, he seemed pretty cool. He even suggested that I go to the Woodhaven range to try to find the handgun I was having a hard time locating. I'm hoping to drop off my application today or tomorrow.
    As far as guests, I asked because I was hoping to bring a friend of mine who also has his NYC pistol permit so we could alternate my range and his (Olinville Arms in the Bronx) when we want to shoot together, and they told me the club is private so there are no guests allowed. I figured they would allow guests on a per visit fee to increase revenue but I guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinalny View Post
    I like Blue Mountain. $11 an hr for pistol or small bore, $8 w/ Westchester pass. Range officer Walt is great and knowledgable. The range officers at the pistol range keep a close eye on newcomers but once they observe that you are following safe practices, they leave you alone. I've been going there for two years from Cold Spring-Fishkill area. I wish Dutchess or Putnam had this type of county-sponsored public range.
    I like BM as well. I go there often. I just hate the ONE ROUND AT A TIME rule....Sucks balls
    NRA Member
    NAGR Member
    NYSRPA Member

Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by TopShot View Post
    Coyne Park Rifle and Pistol Range
    Coyne Park Range: Pistol and Rifle Shooting
    Call Chris with any questions, he is a really good guy.
    C.B.
    Anyone go to Coyne regularly? What's it like?

Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Temkin View Post
    If something should happen--auto accident, theft/loss of guns--the N.Y.P.D. will have a major problem with a N.Y.C. pistol license holder bringing his gun out of the city.
    Even if you have a carry permit it is not legal out of state unless you are a retired LEO with a valid 218 card.
    Not true. FOPA covers you if its locked in case and unloaded during transport in the trunk AND you can carry in NYS. The court case ruled in BEach v kelly was against premises permits from using FOPA but carry permit did apply

Private

I tend to agree with the Truebeliver. The Beach v Kelly case does not apply to carry permit holders. The Firearm Owners Protection Act (FOPA) did not apply in to David Beach's case because he was premise residence license holder, who was informed by the NYPD License Division that he was not permitted to take his handgun to Nevada without written permission from the License Division. He chose to disregard the advise of the License Division and took his handgun out of state without the written permission. The court found: " It is not necessary to permit holders of premises residence firearms license to transport guns to another state in order to harmonize the law of this State with the provision of FOPA. Section 926A permits a licensee, in certain circumstances to transport a firearm 'from any place where he may lawfully posses and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully posses and carry such firearm.' Where the licensee is not permitted by the terms of the license to lawfully carry the firearm at the time he embarks on a trip to another state, FOPA is inapplicable." The court held that the Beach violated the terms of his premises residence firearm license. Therefore, the decision to revoke the premise residence license was not arbitrary and capricious.

Captain

I know it helps if we all lend a hand and suggest ranges. But to those mentioning the range in NJ could you please remove your post so we can keep this under wraps from those who are looking to use this site against us. Thanks

It is perfectly legal in NJ for NYC permit holders to shoot at an approved range. I prefer to encourage practice than to limit it. It is a police-run range and many, many NYPD officers use it regularly. The license division certainly knows all about it already.
    "Powder and artillery are the most efficacious, sure, and infallibly conciliatory measures we can adopt."
    - John Adams

www.bluelivesmatternyc.com

Quote Originally Posted by togmaster View Post
    Anyone go to Coyne regularly? What's it like?
    I go there whenever my budget allows. Usually not crowded. Very cool staff. Never had an issue once there. Pistols, .22 rifles and pistol caliber carbines only. It's $20 an hour to shoot or $300 for an annual membership if you're not a Yonkers resident. If the range isn't crowded, sometimes they'll let you just keep shooting till you're done, even if your time you paid for is up

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by truebeliever2013 View Post
    Not true. FOPA covers you if its locked in case and unloaded during transport in the trunk AND you can carry in NYS. The court case ruled in BEach v kelly was against premises permits from using FOPA but carry permit did apply
    Yes--but the NYPD will suspend/revoke your license

Private

Just wanted to post a quick follow up on Stuyvesant. I did wind up joining and am glad I did. While, like I mentioned in previous posts, they certainly aren't state of the art I think they make up for that with the staff they have there. As others have mentioned they are a bunch of old school guys who like to sit around and shoot the **** and are very cool.
    I signed up a few Sunday's ago right before they closed and after a few minutes of waiting for them to finish my paperwork one of the guys says to the one signing me up "stop yapping so much and let the kid shoot he's only got a half hour". One of the range officers happened to be sitting there and says don't worry about it, you want to shoot for an hour you shoot for an hour I'll wait for you. Thumbs up right off the bat cause he don't know me from a hole in the ground and it certainly wasn't his fault I ran in there last minute on a Sunday.
    I go back the following Sunday and the guy who signed me up the previous week says, Hi Bill. It's Bill right? Good to see you again. Dude talked to me for all of 10 or so minutes the week before but remembered my name
    Finally, went back again this past Sunday and was shooting a lot of low lefts (I've only been shooting 3 or 4 times so I am a super duper novice) and asked the range officer Vinny if he could shoot a few rounds just to ensure it was me and not the gun. He did and of course it was me but that's fine, I prefer it was me than the equipment. He then asked his son, the other range officer there, to take a few shots and he was all in the black so its definitely me. After that they both took some time to watch me shoot, give me some pointers, dropped a snap cap in between my rounds to show I was flinching, etc. Then the senior Vinny (his son is Jr) says if I will be back the coming Sunday he's bring in his .22 for me to shoot just to get the feel of a smaller caliber which I will probably be more accurate with to start.
    Again huge thumbs up because 1. They didn't need to spend so much time with me and they both did and not because they had to but because they both legitimately seemed eager to help a new shooter and 2. As I mentioned before Stuyvesant doesn't rent any guns at all so Vinny was going to bring his own gun to the range just to try to help me with my shooting after only knowing me for maybe a half hour.

Sorry, guess it wasn't as quick a follow up as I expected but with the lack of many good ranges in the five boroughs I wanted to give you guys a little more info on my experience.

my range in Queens is by far the best. We are non profit, 225.00 a year, free targets, no fee to shoot, great hrs and 1st initiation join is 275.00, if you are a leo then the fee is waived and its 225.00. Stuyvasant Rod n Gun club,we are an Nra sanctioned club so you can buy from the Cmp as a member! I am the vice pres so anyone here wants in I will sponsor you to join!!

Private

Quote Originally Posted by ratula View Post
    my range in Queens is by far the best. We are non profit, 225.00 a year, free targets, no fee to shoot, great hrs and 1st initiation join is 275.00, if you are a leo then the fee is waived and its 225.00. Stuyvasant Rod n Gun club,we are an Nra sanctioned club so you can buy from the Cmp as a member! I am the vice pres so anyone here wants in I will sponsor you to join!!
    Hey ratula, like I said above, I'm definitely glad I decided to join Stuyvesant which is why I wrote that book length post. You guys all seem cool and both Vinnys were very, very cool with me this past Sunday. I am going to try to get there at least once a week.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by ratula View Post
    Hey,
    Just wondering if the hours on your website are accurate. I live in Douglaston and have been driving into Westside in Manhattan and getting killed on parking costs. Their benefit to me was that they're open all day, so I didn't have to worry about what time I go shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Temkin View Post
    If something should happen--auto accident, theft/loss of guns--the N.Y.P.D. will have a major problem with a N.Y.C. pistol license holder bringing his gun out of the city.
    Even if you have a carry permit it is not legal out of state unless you are a retired LEO with a valid 218 card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine4 View Post
    I tend to agree with the Truebeliver. The Beach v Kelly case does not apply to carry permit holders. The Firearm Owners Protection Act (FOPA) did not apply in to David Beach's case because he was premise residence license holder, who was informed by the NYPD License Division that he was not permitted to take his handgun to Nevada without written permission from the License Division. He chose to disregard the advise of the License Division and took his handgun out of state without the written permission. The court found: " It is not necessary to permit holders of premises residence firearms license to transport guns to another state in order to harmonize the law of this State with the provision of FOPA. Section 926A permits a licensee, in certain circumstances to transport a firearm 'from any place where he may lawfully posses and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully posses and carry such firearm.' Where the licensee is not permitted by the terms of the license to lawfully carry the firearm at the time he embarks on a trip to another state, FOPA is inapplicable." The court held that the Beach violated the terms of his premises residence firearm license. Therefore, the decision to revoke the premise residence license was not arbitrary and capricious.
    Nobody has a problem with this decision? It sure looks arbitrary to me.

You can indeed carry in your premises. IE home or business with a NYC Premise Permit. Not only that, FOPA protects transport of rifles and shotguns too. Those aren't permitted or licensed anywhere else in the country except NYC. Hell, pistols aren't permitted or licensed anywhere else to possess except in this crap hole state. A PA resident or any resident of any state for that matter can buy a pistol with just a driver's license and transport it via FOPA to another state where it is legal to possess and carry at a range or home dwelling.

How do you explain a NJ resident with no carry permit moving to say Florida? He can legally drive it or fly on a plane to Florida and be protected by FOPA.

There is a lot of brainwashing here with the NY state of mind. You do not need a carry permit for FOPA to apply.

That guy got railroaded.

Yea, I know. Zombie thread. I have to get off these forums. These stories of rights being violated really pisses me off and is raising my blood pressure.

That Judge violated a Federal Law by illegally ruling against this man and should be hung as a traitor.
    Last edited by willjr75; 03-04-2016 at 01:11 AM.
    We have all moved on to another American owned NY gun forum that doesn't censor you or contribute revenue to anti gun causes. Check my avatar and signature for the location.

The whole system of gun ownership in NYC is arbitrary, literally. As in the whole thing is legally based on the Police Commissioner's discretion. The fact that that type of system has survived judicial review so mamy times is proof that the courts are rigged (at least here).

To the topic at hand, I finally joined an SI range this week for the first time, Richmond Boro Gun Club. The dues are reasonable, the crowd seems like mostly good dudes, and it is very convenient for me being minutes from work. The Easton range I have been shooting at went to $100 annually with the guest pass. For $250 I don't have to drive or pay tolls, can shoot easily any time I want, and get to meet people into the sport who live here.
    "Powder and artillery are the most efficacious, sure, and infallibly conciliatory measures we can adopt."
    - John Adams

www.bluelivesmatternyc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
    The whole system of gun ownership in NYC is arbitrary, literally. As in the whole thing is legally based on the Police Commissioner's discretion. The fact that that type of system has survived judicial review so mamy times is proof that the courts are rigged (at least here).
    It is amazing to me that *men of the law* (in this case I'm referring to Judges) can allow their personal views to cloud their judgement of *the law*, which they have sworn to uphold. This should be a fairly simple proposition, but the amount of rationalization that I see in the decisions is appalling. I am not of the opinion that either side of the political spectrum have a monopoly on this sort of nonsense, Judges from both parties constantly make absurd rationalizations in order to push the agenda of their own party.

That is not the role of the Judicial branch of government! Writing the laws are the work of the Legislative branch!

For instance in this case https://www.nysrpa.org/nysrpasaf-v-nyc-license-fees/ the judgement took advantage of a *mistake* by the lawyers in not filing a class action lawsuit including people who were unable to apply for their licenses due to the cost. Since the case was brought by two men who *could* and *did* afford the costs, the court found it easy rule against them, even though it is very clear that the case was strong, that the fees are too high, and that there is a clear *economic* limitation of firearms ownership in NYC. The judge in this case, used a technicality to rule against them (if he had a better reason, then he wouldn't have used the fact that they could afford the fees to rule against them, so it's clear that he was just doing anything he could to protect the stance of his party.) This sort of behavior is reprehensible and should result in such judges being removed, but of course it's par for the course.
    NYSRPA & SCOPE Member

Private

nyc resident permit holders cannot leave the state and yes it is a crime being off premise not just an administrative violation .

we are only allowed off premise when going to an authorized nypd range or hunting . other then that nys law says you can be prosecuted .

other then that our permits are not valid off premise . since our guns are not legally held once we breech our permit terms when we go to other states to shoot we are in violation of their laws too since while you do not need a permit in pa they do require your firearms be legally held and in possession of .

Quote Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
    nyc resident permit holders cannot leave the state and yes it is a crime being off premise not just an administrative violation .

we are only allowed off premise when going to an authorized nypd range or hunting . other then that nys law says you can be prosecuted .

other then that our permits are not valid off premise . since our guns are not legally held once we breech our permit terms when we go to other states to shoot we are in violation of their laws too since while you do not need a permit in pa they do require your firearms be legally held and in possession of .
    Who told you that? Wait let me guess. The NYPD?

In PA and in any other states, you go by their laws. In other states, no permit is required to possess. Carry is different but to possess at a range or in a home, there are no requirements of having a permit to possess. Another state cannot prosecute you for laws in your home state.

Keep in mind that NYC will do what NYC will do. However, once out of NYC, you are subject to whatever laws of the state you are in which do not make mere possession illegal.
    Last edited by willjr75; 03-04-2016 at 07:44 PM.
    We have all moved on to another American owned NY gun forum that doesn't censor you or contribute revenue to anti gun causes. Check my avatar and signature for the location.

Does anyone know where in the Penal Law is this so called Premise Permit located? I cannot find it. I suspect it may be a made up license by NYC not in the Penal Law.
    Last edited by willjr75; 03-04-2016 at 07:46 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast