New York Firearms Forum banner

Turnaround Time Adding Pistol in Westchester

4K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Joeg40SW 
#1 ·
Anyone recently add a pistol to their permit in Westchester? What was the turnaround time?

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I think people are waiting a few weeks. Its ridiculous. Nobody on here is complaining why the permit officers are closed. Everything else is open. The DMVs Everything. They are doing this only to gun owners. Its their way of instituting a waiting period. They should have it open by appointment so your in and out. I can't find why Nobody else is talking about this.

#14 ·
The permit office was closed due to Covid until some time in late July. My appointment was scheduled around that same time frame the office opened with a 3 month wait. People who called in early August for their interview appointments were getting "1 year in the future dates". Blame in on the pandemic, social unrest, whatever. The demand for permits, guns, and ammo is at crazy levels. Someone on the forum (I believe) got their determination letter 35 days after their interview. Let's hope the process speeds up (doubtful).

I'm still waiting on my letter but everywhere I check, even though I could pick up my 'layaway', I might not be able to find ammo for it. There are plenty of accessories to be had but not much else.

#16 ·
I'm glad the amendments are moving along quickly. I've been calling for 6 weeks just to submit my permit application in Westchester, and finally got a call back, that my appointment is March..... of 2022. So 14 months just to drop off the application. I'm hoping once the application is in its as fast to approve as the amendments are.

#18 ·
That's a long wait... Once I submitted my application I received my approved permit notice about 6 weeks later. My opinion, from what I saw, is that they limit how many permit applications they process to about 6-7 per day, hence the extremely long wait. There is one detective processing the paperwork. It took all of about 15-20 minutes. And from what I saw, they only have appointments scheduled between 9AM - 12PM/1PM, then they are done. He reviewed the paperwork for accuracy, he fingerprinted me, took pictures, collected my payment and sent me on y merry way. I do feel as some have said, this is done purposely to limit the permits, artificially create the delays, and ultimately discourage people from applying when they hear that it takes 1.5 years for a permit in Westchester. This has to be an infringement of the law. I wish others had noticed this when they were applying and provided the explanation. It can't be that they are overworked, when they only have 6 appointments a day!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.