New York Firearms Forum banner

Appeal Denied Permit

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  YourNYTech 
#1 ·
I applied for a pistol permit at the beginning of the year, maybe around February. However it was denied, I am assuming because of a past harassment charge I had. However I don’t have any open cases and I don’t have any stay away orders or anything like that. So I have a couple questions. How do I start an appeal? Is it too late? And does anyone recommend a good lawyer to start the process? I live in Erie county.

#2 ·
You probably won't like my answer, but you only have like 30 days or so to file an appeal. You can look up the exact number of days but it is very limited. Even if you are within that timeframe, you can only have your denial overturned if it was arbitrary and capricious. A denial based on your criminal past would not qualify, as you have been denied for cause. The licensing officer has wide latitude to deny and he can in fact deny just based on character. A criminal record isn't even required. You are obviously free to hire a lawyer and go through the process but I cannot see a favorable outcome for you. Your best bet is to move to another state if you want a pistol and can pass a 4473.

#3 ·
I applied for a pistol permit at the beginning of the year, maybe around February. However it was denied, I am assuming because of a past harassment charge I had. However I don't have any open cases and I don't have any stay away orders or anything like that. So I have a couple questions. How do I start an appeal? Is it too late? And does anyone recommend a good lawyer to start the process? I live in Erie county.
Typically you may also re-apply 1-year later. First, another year will have passed, distancing you from the "charge" you mentioned. Second, there is a chance it will be reviewed by a different judge.

Moving (of course) is always the best solution, but not always practical for everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.