New York Firearms Forum banner

Thought about AR-15- may have been talked out of it. What about PC charger/carbine

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  The Happy Friar 
#1 ·
I was thinking about it for home defense. I saw the PC charger and it seems really interesting, but is that Safe Act legal? It does not look it. Anybody have experience with either of these two options and care to comment? Thanks.

#2 ·
PC charger is a pistol and not Legal in NYS. It's over 50 oz, has a second grip outside where the mag is inserted, and has a second grip. Oh and it has a threaded barrel. I suggest you look at the safe act since this gun has nearly every banned feature.

https://safeact.ny.gov/system/files/documents/2020/02/pistols_banned_features.pdf

A nys safe act legal AR-15 is not the best home defense gun either. Also keep in mind neighbors and how far the bullets can travel. Can be a good home defense gun but not the best in nys legal format. Shot guns and pistols are the way to go IMO.

#3 ·
Thanks. That is what I figured. I could not see how that would be legal. I thought their might be something that I was missing that would make that legal. I like the idea of it being 9mm , yet having a longer barrel, and not having the over penetration of .223 or shot gun. What are the general thoughts on pistol carbine? Thanks.

#4 ·
223 is not that penetrative for most housing materials. Google it for info. Shotgun loads like 00 or slugs and 9mm are more penetrative. BTW, birdshot is not recommended for home defense. If you do go shotgun, you need to practice and train up on it. Beginners are prone to screw up pump guns. That being said, a good 9mm pistol is a good choice. Long arm usage in the house, takes a bit of training and practice. All gun use does that anyway.

#5 ·
I am surprised. I always thought the rifle .223 round would penetrate further than 9mm. Thanks for that education. I have to look up why .223 rounds do so much damage to human tissue vs 9mm. Maybe that is not even true, but I always thought it was. I remember hearing a physician speak after a mass shooting involving an ar15 and she spoke about how much more damage there was to each patient when compared to a typical gun shot wound.

#9 ·
It depends on the round. Like all other calibers . You can have hollow points that Don't over Penetrate in soft fluids. Ball ammo might keep going. 5.56 standard ball ammo will Disintegrate after hitting any hard objects and will tumble. There are numerous examples of FBI ballistic jelly and other types of ballistic blocks with the bullet not over penetrating. Actually perform better in doors in if the room to Maneuver
Us there.

#10 ·
here's a fun video of shotgun rounds through simulated drywall walls:

I really liked those old videos where he'd try stuff like that.

The local constable says he has a loaded shutgun handy, wife has a Tarus Judge, he keeps a 9mm near his bed. I keep a 9mm net to me & the wife has a 380 next to her. I have a light+laser on my 9mm because it's meant as a home defense gun. At the shooting range I'd try shooting with sights & then with laser & got happy that ~15-20 feet I could hit my target with the laser consistently (15-20 feet is the estimated distance from my bedroom to when I could see someone coming around the corner from the entry door).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.