New York Firearms Forum banner

Best path to a hand gun permit

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  xexitenglishx 
#1 ·
I am planning on applying for my hand gun permit. I have never owned a gun before but i have shot a lot. I am located in Staten Island so I have to deal with NYC regulation which from what i have read is difficult to get.

My background. I am an attorney thats licensed in NYC. I have a pretty good record except for one arrest. It was for possession of a controlled substance about 5 years ago. I have since got a conditional discharge and the arrest expunged ( i know i have to list this on my application).

Should I try to apply myself, get an attorney to handle the application due to my application? Should I take an NRA class before i even apply? Would that help my odds?

If anyone can recommend an attorney thats good in NYC that would be great.

My main desire is for a premise license and to shoot at the range.

#2 ·
You need to take a handgun safety course in NYS as far as I know. At least in my county and the ones that surround need to take an approved course.

IMO you can do all the paperwork yourself but NYC is ridiculous and they may deny you for the drug arrest. If They do appeal it and save your money for an attorney for that. Yes you will need to list your arrest since they will see it regardless.
Also do you plan to apply for a carry permit? Also don’t reference any pistol shooting experience in NYS.

#3 ·
Thanks for the advise. I will not mention any shoot experience. For shits and giggles any reason why?

Im going to look into an attorney as well, I would like to work out a deal where if I apply and get it then im done but if im denied i would want them to appeal.

I plan to take a hand gun safety course as well. I have also heard that its better to apply for a shotgun permit first and then apply for a hand gun. Would that be a more ideal route?

I may apply for a carry...not that i would really ever carry but just to have it. Although I am an attorney Im not currently practicing, I am working in the construction field. I dont think I have any NYC reasoning why I would need a carry. Is this something that can by applied for at the same time?

#4 ·
Just go to the website and start your application https://licensing.nypdonline.org/new-app-instruction/ and be ready to wait.
Note:They can deny you for almost any reason if you have any police record make sure you let them know be up front they will find out.

If you can afford it go for the rifle shotgun at the same time you will need almost the same paperwork.
Also start looking for a DEC hunting class you will need it.

You only use a lawyer if you are deny and you have to appeal ,start your application.

#7 ·
That's interesting to me. Counties are so different. Here by me you need to take one and submit your cert with application or they won't take it. They also recommend to get a carry permit you take additional trainings. They are not as strict on the additional trainings for the full carry permit but no training no go in my county and the few that surround mine. I guess I figured it was a state law.

Also I see no problem applying for a long gun permit first and yes you Aren't legally allow d to possess a pistol in nys without a permit. Many stores won't let you pick one without a permit. I guess it's all about how you define possession.

#11 ·
This is a tough one. Remember, if you get denied, even if you prevail on appeal, you will always have to answer "Yes" to the question "have you ever been denied a pistol permit" on every pistol permit application and then explain what happened and if you prevailed on appeal. If you get denied in NYC and don't prevail on appeal you will likely never get a permit anywhere else by virtue of being denied in NYC. Consult a 2A attorney.

My advice would be to apply for an out of state permit first like Florida or Utah. In fact, I would look into which other out of state permits allow you to apply without having a permit from your state of residence. This way you can at least secure permits in some more friendly states.

My next piece of advice would be to consider moving to another part of NYS. Depending on where you work, the commute is reasonable from other Counties in NY or CT. You would likely have a better chance, and also a chance for getting a Carry Permit, if you lived and applied outside of NYC.

Now that the Supreme Court is 6-3, I would love to see someone with a NY State Full Carry Permit, who has to work in NYC, challenge the Constitutionality of the Sullivan Act. Or someone who lives in Westchester or Rockland with a Full Carry that works on Long Island. Every time you drive through New York City you have to secure your firearm separate from its ammo and not accessible from the driver compartment unless you have a NYC permit. The fact that NYC can have its own license scheme separate and distinct from New York State is ripe for a challenge with a sympathetic Supreme Court.

#13 ·
You are absolutely right. A successful appeal will overturn a denial. However, in answer to a question: "Have you ever been denied a pistol permit" you would still have to answer "Yes" and then fill in an explanation of that you appealed the decision and were ultimately granted the permit. You will need to include all details of the reason for denial and the justification that prevailed on appeal. That was the point I was making above. If you get denied, it will forever be a hassle as you will need to explain it on any future application.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.